Thread: Gear Selector Broken, How to Fix?

Vehicle
    1987 Buick Century Ltd. 2.8L V6, THM 125c auto trans

Exclamation Gear Selector Broken, How to Fix?

I have a 1987 Buick Century and recently the gear selector broke. Not really actually broken, but when you go to put it into park the gear selector slowly floats toward it and actually doesn't go there. It stops somewhere between reverse and park and by morning time it does show park on the gear selector. Just to clarify, there is absolutely nothing wrong mechanically with the transmission, it still shifts into gear, you just cant tell by the selector the proper gear, you have to judge by shifting/counting, etc.

If anyone can tell me what parts make up the selector and what is broken in there or how to fix it, please help, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if something needs replaced where to get the parts...

Thanks,
    Dara

There's a small clip that attaches to your steering column collar. There's a string tied to this clip, and that string pulls on the gear indicator. You can adjust that and see if it fixes your problem ( put the car in park and adjust the clip until the selector rests over park).
    2004 Chevrolet Impala SS Indy

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 5.0V8

Vehicle
    1989 W45 Ciera Int'l Coupe

Tongle covered the mechanics of it pretty well. It sounds, however, like the problem is within the cluster itself, where the gear indicator is. It may be getting a bit sticky and may need to be lubed or something. I've never had any problems with the gear selectors that are actually up in the cluster rather than below the cluster in a separate window.
    http://www.screech.ws/
    98 Chev K2500 (4x4), Vortec 350, 4.10 gearing, ECLB 155.5" WB
    98 Chev C2500 (2wd), Vortec 350 w/SFI kit, 3.73 gears, ECLB 155.5" WB
    89 Olds Cutlass Ciera W45 Int'l Coupe
    76 Olds Cutlass Supreme Brougham BBC
    95 Pontiac Trans Sport SE (US Model), 3800HO
    92 Pontiac Trans Sport GT (candidate for the L67?)
    92 Pontiac Trans Sport SE, S1 3800SC L67 - R.I.P. 2010-09-09

Vehicle
    82 buick century (4.3lt diesel), 2000 Vw jetta 2.0

if you need to lube the indicator. you need to remove the metal clip tongle talked about and pull the cluster out. there is a screw on the side (i used the end of a screw drive that exepts 1/4 bits) the indicator just slides out

Quote Originally Posted by LordDurock
    most great ideas will lose the original luster and wonder of their profound expression, when subject to the masses, for all ideas are building blocks on the greater truth, not the whole truth
    82 Buick Century 4.3lt diesel
    00 VW jetta 2.0
    00 vw beetle 1.9 TDI