Thread: Horn Location

Default Horn Location

Hi to everybody, this is my first post. I would first like to thank everybody who has in the past posted about intake manifold gaskets for the 3.1L, I just got done replacing mine recently, and all the information on this and other forums helped immensely.

Now that I've finally got around to getting the job done, and I feel more comfortable keeping the car around a while, I want to beef up the horn a little. It's a 1994 Century, and the horn is pathetic. So my question today is simply: where is the horn located on this car?

I bought a random horn at Autozone which comes with a relay, which means a fused line to battery, and tapping into the existing horn line to trigger the relay. Is there anything else I need to be concerned about in terms of wiring, or is there any great place to mount such a thing on my car?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Vehicle
    1989 Buick Century Custom Coupe, Grand Prix GTP 1998

right front in bumper cover
    Quote Originally Posted by mechanizeddeath
    I mean there's a lot more than can go horribly wrong with car than when your iPod dock stops working due to a solder job so bad that my dog could do better.
    " Since little or nothing is known about the principles involved in magneto reluctance, diagnosing faults can be a problem ... "  & " treat all other problems as if they do not exsist . "

Vehicle
    1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera S, 1992 Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo

If you want to really beef up your horns... go my route, I've got a total of (I think) 10 horns last count, you can hook them up to the stock horn wiring, but you'll need to run it through a relay or else you'll blow the horn fuse.

Here's my current setup, we'll probably clean it up majorly if I decide to add a turbocharger, right now it's not cutting back any of my airflow to the radiator though... I can count four there, the two origonal are where they are stock (left and right side behind the bumper skin like Buick powa said), two are covered with black paper and two we had to take off for when we got it blasted.

http://s618.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=IMG_0233.jpg

Or you could put some air horns under the hood...

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by SilentWing View Post
    Or you could put some air horns under the hood...
    that what's going on mine soon!
    I mean there's a lot more than can go horribly wrong with car than when your iPod dock stops working due to a solder job so bad that my dog could do better.
    " Since little or nothing is known about the principles involved in magneto reluctance, diagnosing faults can be a problem ... "  & " treat all other problems as if they do not exsist . "

Vehicle

My fiance is going to get a studder horn off of ebay for his next van... yikes lol

Vehicle

mine come from a truck My dad took those from his job as they were trashed but they still work perfectly!

Vehicle

Sounds like a good deal then, put a pic up of your setup when you install it if you don't mind

So I installed the new horns today. It turns out there are two horns on my Century, one on either side of the car, though they are exactly where Buick Powa said they would be.

It is nothing special, just a duel tone electric replacement I picked up at Autozone. I re-used the stock wiring and relay, as the fuse that they said to use in the instructions said 10A, and the fuse in the panel for the horn, and a few other, small, non-essential, not very commonly used things was 20A. We'll see if that was a mistake. So far, the sound is much stronger, which is nice for when I go back home to Michigan (I-80 up around Chicago and Gary).

I did it without pulling off the bumper skin, though in hindsight, it may have been a good idea. Mounting is the same as stock. It turns out one was already dead, and the one that did work had something rattling around in it.

The next step is another (louder) horn (hopefully I manage to stop there) in addition to the ones I just put in.

Thanks for the info and input everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredtint View Post
    So I installed the new horns today. It turns out there are two horns on my Century, one on either side of the car, though they are exactly where Buick Powa said they would be.

It is nothing special, just a cheap car parts duel tone electric replacement I picked up at Autozone. I re-used the stock wiring and relay, as the fuse that they said to use in the instructions said 10A, and the fuse in the panel for the horn, and a few other, small, non-essential, not very commonly used things was 20A. We'll see if that was a mistake. So far, the sound is much stronger, which is nice for when I go back home to Michigan (I-80 up around Chicago and Gary).

I did it without pulling off the bumper skin, though in hindsight, it may have been a good idea. Mounting is the same as stock. It turns out one was already dead, and the one that did work had something rattling around in it.

The next step is another (louder) horn (hopefully I manage to stop there) in addition to the ones I just put in.

Thanks for the info and input everybody.
    Some problem on my 94 century. Front power windows won't work, rear do. Car misfires and surges when you floor it and horn does not work. any thoughts?