Thread: Replace tailgate glass

Default Replace tailgate glass

Hi there all.
    I just had the rear glass in my'94 Buick Century wagon shatter and may have located a replacement at the local junk yard. My questions concern the proper way to replace it with the original fasteners. Sequence, if any? Torque requirements if any? How to remove the nut strut from the remaining glass?

Thanks,
    Steve

Vehicle
    my 2 feet

there's no real torque requirements, or sequence to it..you would be better off getting the hinges off the frame first instead of driving out the roll pins holding the hinges...i think that is all you really need, your car has the double opening tail right? can open glass separately from the main gate? if its just the glass, you can replace it; depending on if your car has a "wing" or not, the bolts on the hinges will come off pretty easily...the gas strut, i think its held by a clip or two....I was able to remove the glass from the strut...you should be lucky not to have a light attached to the glass like some other cars....
    "All art is subject to political manipulation except that which speaks the language of the same manipulation."
    -N.S.K. Neuer Slowenian Kunst
    proud former owner of 83 Ciera Brougham Coupe (may her new owners repair her and get her on the road as she deserves to be!)
    Pics of MAxine here! 1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Brougham Coupe

Thanks Camodeafie,
    It does have the CHISL and defroster. I was able to remove the spoiler bolts and the stop light. I am not sure if the window I will be getting on Monday will have the strut stud in it or not. I was wondering if the stud nut was left or right handed thread and do not want to mess it up too badly with gripping it with channel locks.

Thanks again,
    Steve

Vehicle
    my 2 feet

its standard RH threading
    "All art is subject to political manipulation except that which speaks the language of the same manipulation."
    -N.S.K. Neuer Slowenian Kunst
    proud former owner of 83 Ciera Brougham Coupe (may her new owners repair her and get her on the road as she deserves to be!)
    Pics of MAxine here! 1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Brougham Coupe

Vehicle
    1989 W45 Ciera Int'l Coupe

Factory service manual says the screws holding the glass to the hinges get tightened to 80 INCH pounds.
    http://www.screech.ws/
    98 Chev K2500 (4x4), Vortec 350, 4.10 gearing, ECLB 155.5" WB
    98 Chev C2500 (2wd), Vortec 350 w/SFI kit, 3.73 gears, ECLB 155.5" WB
    89 Olds Cutlass Ciera W45 Int'l Coupe
    76 Olds Cutlass Supreme Brougham BBC
    95 Pontiac Trans Sport SE (US Model), 3800HO
    92 Pontiac Trans Sport GT (candidate for the L67?)
    92 Pontiac Trans Sport SE, S1 3800SC L67 - R.I.P. 2010-09-09

The glass the junk yard had was from, get this, '89 chevy celeberty wagon. It matched perfectly with the wing, defroster and CHSL. Was able to install it and every thing works. Just need to pull the interior cover and replace it so the interior still matches.

Vehicle
    1986 Celeb Wagon 2.5

hey man go grab yourself one of those 20$ tool kits with a ratchet and sockets and some cheapo screwdrivers, you cant be doin this stuff with vice grips, lol
    "Pontiac, Of Course"
    1986 Chevy Celebrity Wagon 2.5
    1990 Pontiac Turbo Grand Prix 3.1T
    1998 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T
    1999 Audi A6 Quattro Wagon
    1991 Audi 200 Auto
    1985 Mercedes 380SE
    1980 VW Dasher Diesel
    1989 Jaguar XJ6