Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: 4.9L V8 in a chevy citation

  1. #1

    Default 4.9L V8 in a chevy citation

    Hey A-body guys...here's a link to my 4.9L caddy swap thread. For anybody that wants a caddy v8 swapped into their A-body, i can perform the full turnkey swap for them as well, since A-body and X-bodies are very close relatives please feel free to email me directly for more information:

    http://www.treasuredfind.com/engines...81-factor.html

    Aaron
    Stickpony@gmail.com



  2. #2
    Senior Member white89euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    926

    Default

    Now that is a great swap! Hows the gas mileage with a V8 as for city and highway? I imagine it all depends on the gearing & the driver.

    George

  3. #3
    Senior Member CamoDeafie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Salem, Oregon
    Vehicle
    my 2 feet
    Posts
    2,327

    Default

    question; you arent related to a guy who went by the name of Tyre or Trye a few years ago doing the 4.9 PFI swap in his X-11 and ripping people off? pretty sure you would know him either by reputation or by his builds a long time ago; anyhow, that looks to be an awesome swap!
    "All art is subject to political manipulation except that which speaks the language of the same manipulation."
    -N.S.K. Neuer Slowenian Kunst
    proud former owner of 83 Ciera Brougham Coupe (may her new owners repair her and get her on the road as she deserves to be!)
    Pics of MAxine here! 1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Brougham Coupe

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    West Jefferson, OH
    Posts
    3,258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CamoDeafie View Post
    question; you arent related to a guy who went by the name of Tyre or Trye a few years ago doing the 4.9 PFI swap in his X-11 and ripping people off? pretty sure you would know him either by reputation or by his builds a long time ago; anyhow, that looks to be an awesome swap!
    He was mentioned in the details of the wiring.
    -Andy

    '86 Eurosport VR coupe, '86 Eurosport sedan, '86 Eurosport sedan, '88 Eurosport VR coupe, '88 Eurosport wagon, '93 Ciera sedan

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by white89euro View Post
    Now that is a great swap! Hows the gas mileage with a V8 as for city and highway? I imagine it all depends on the gearing & the driver.

    George
    with the 4 speed econo gearing from a fiero, it gets 28-30 mpg on the highway at 65 mph, in the city it gets about 20-22 mpg. i drive fairly liberally too. the sound is REALLY what gets you about this swap, the car just feels incredible.

    the swap detailed in the pages was done a few years ago, i have since assisted and performed many other swaps in other GM cars...the page was never completed because i was going through a divorce, and my ex-wife took my computer that had all my pictures and data in it.

    if anyone lives in south FL, feel free to look me up, i'll take you for a ride in the beast!

    Aaron

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CamoDeafie View Post
    question; you arent related to a guy who went by the name of Tyre or Trye a few years ago doing the 4.9 PFI swap in his X-11 and ripping people off? pretty sure you would know him either by reputation or by his builds a long time ago; anyhow, that looks to be an awesome swap!
    not related to Tyre. His engine swap inspired me to do my own, he was the innovator, the first to do it in an X-body. He dropped off the face of the planet quite some time ago. Anyways....

    someone asked me about the mounting on my 4 speed muncie... perhaps he would like to chime in here, i can answer his questions in this forum...

  7. #7
    Senior Member turbokinetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Northport, AL
    Vehicle
    1984 Buick Century Olympia 3.8SFI Turbo V6
    Posts
    4,539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stickpony View Post
    if anyone lives in south FL, feel free to look me up, i'll take you for a ride in the beast!

    Aaron
    I've got some friends in south FL and visit periodically. Will see if I can catch up with you sometime!

    That sucks about the computer. I'm not married but the thought of anyone taking my computer (with no chance to backup my stuff) would be a "they would have to pry it from my cold dead hands" scenario!!! That is if they lived to get that far!!!

    How much aftermarket support have you found for the Caddi engines? Cams and such available?

    Later,
    David

  8. #8
    Senior Member LordDurock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    loveland, CO
    Vehicle
    82 buick century (4.3lt diesel), 2000 Vw jetta 2.0
    Posts
    2,880

    Default

    how did manage the shifter cable bracket and the fiero 4 speed dont have the right linkage for the x and a body cases.........realy would love my top end to be higher then 104mph and have a stronger case for the 4.3 beast

    Quote Originally Posted by LordDurock
    most great ideas will lose the original luster and wonder of their profound expression, when subject to the masses, for all ideas are building blocks on the greater truth, not the whole truth
    82 Buick Century 4.3lt diesel
    00 VW jetta 2.0
    00 vw beetle 1.9 TDI

  9. #9
    Senior Member CamoDeafie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Salem, Oregon
    Vehicle
    my 2 feet
    Posts
    2,327

    Default

    i see that he mentions using a 1985 v6 fiero casing with the econo fiero innards and the x-11's original shift bracket and tranny mont for clutch cable onto it..essentially he used the stock X 11 brackets onto the newer casing.
    "All art is subject to political manipulation except that which speaks the language of the same manipulation."
    -N.S.K. Neuer Slowenian Kunst
    proud former owner of 83 Ciera Brougham Coupe (may her new owners repair her and get her on the road as she deserves to be!)
    Pics of MAxine here! 1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Brougham Coupe

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    20

    Default

    his webpage was saved by someone and I put up a basic webpage with his info http://thebaron.110mb.com/

  11. #11
    Senior Member LordDurock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    loveland, CO
    Vehicle
    82 buick century (4.3lt diesel), 2000 Vw jetta 2.0
    Posts
    2,880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CamoDeafie View Post
    i see that he mentions using a 1985 v6 fiero casing with the econo fiero innards and the x-11's original shift bracket and tranny mont for clutch cable onto it..essentially he used the stock X 11 brackets onto the newer casing.
    go look again. the x-11 case has two tabs ontop if the finnal drive area (thiese was what the hold the shift cables inplace. fiero trans have a bolt on bracket, because they run them differently

    Quote Originally Posted by LordDurock
    most great ideas will lose the original luster and wonder of their profound expression, when subject to the masses, for all ideas are building blocks on the greater truth, not the whole truth
    82 Buick Century 4.3lt diesel
    00 VW jetta 2.0
    00 vw beetle 1.9 TDI

  12. #12

    Default

    there is a company called Delta cams that makes several different grinds for the caddy, some require valvetrain mods, others don't...they have a drop-in cam that just requires longer pushrods, and it increases the lift from .384 stock to .480, and the duration increases from 195, to 215, decent sounding idle, and adds about 25-30 hp,. for a manula swap, it allows the engine to breath alot better in the higher rpms, where as the stock motor dies around 4300 rpm,...

  13. #13
    Senior Member turbokinetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Northport, AL
    Vehicle
    1984 Buick Century Olympia 3.8SFI Turbo V6
    Posts
    4,539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stickpony View Post
    there is a company called Delta cams that makes several different grinds for the caddy, some require valvetrain mods, others don't...they have a drop-in cam that just requires longer pushrods, and it increases the lift from .384 stock to .480, and the duration increases from 195, to 215, decent sounding idle, and adds about 25-30 hp,. for a manula swap, it allows the engine to breath alot better in the higher rpms, where as the stock motor dies around 4300 rpm,...
    Yes! I highly recommend Delta Camshaft. Used them on my LN3 3800 build. They remanufactured my original cam with a performance profile and that engine is over 200 HP natural aspirated now.

  14. #14

    Default

    The deltacam swap really changes the characteristics of the motor, anyone who buys one would also be advised to get the ECM retuned. I can do that for anybody who is interested, I can also customize the ECM for different tire sizes, change the rev limiter, change the top speed limiter, change fan turn-on temperatures to adjust for different thermostats, adjust for larger injectors, remove the Vehicle Anti-theft System lockout on the ECM (VATS removal), change shift points, ...

    I can also do a full turnkey 4.9L cadillac V8 engine swap into any A-body car for anyone who is interested. I can do the 3800 Supercharged engines as well, but for the money, the overall sound of the finished car, and availability of the caddy engines makes the 4.9L my favorite engine swap to this day. The car just feels so damned good when you drive it.

    It is also recommended for anyone doing these types of swaps to upgrade to the JA2 brake option, simply because you have better braking surface area...4 wheel disc is even better if you can swing it.


    email me anytime with questions:

    Aaron

    stickpony@gmail.com

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LordDurock View Post
    how did manage the shifter cable bracket and the fiero 4 speed dont have the right linkage for the x and a body cases.........realy would love my top end to be higher then 104mph and have a stronger case for the 4.3 beast
    the shifter cable bracket was custom made, however, the shift cable bracket from most 5 speed getrag FWD trannys will bolt on and work. I could not find one at the time, so i was forced to make my own. i moved over the clutch lever and shift levers from the citation stock transmission. I used the VSS from the fiero transmission, as the cadillac computer requires an electronic pulse to calculate fuel delivery properly. I used a programmable VDO style speedometer and gauge set for my dash to replace the odl and busted citation gauges, but for those who liek the stock gauges, you can use them with the cadillac ECM with a few modifications. If you have a mechanical speedo, you will need one of those combo electronic/mechanical VSS's from a an automatic mid-eighties car such a cavalier or other such car that has them, that way you can drive the mechanical speedo but still feed the ECM the signal it needs....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •