Thread: 1993 cutlass ciera s 3.3L v6

Unhappy 1993 cutlass ciera s 3.3L v6

When first starting the cars sounds and runs fine, shortly there after the car rumbles and has very little power. When i floor the gas pedal the car accelerates as if i were barely touching the gas. i may have over added oil but would that be the problem?

Vehicle
    1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera

Check the level of all fluids. Fuel, engine oil, transmission oil. Remember to check trans oil with car running while in park.

Does the car idle fine at a standstill or do you have to hold the gas down to keep it running?
    What is this & what does pulling it out do?

Vehicle
    1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera S, 1992 Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo

Could be another infamous 3300 MAF sensor problem

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Knock Sensor will do it too. Sounds like to me it needs to be scanned for DTCs.

Ken T.

Vehicle
    1989 W45 Ciera Int'l Coupe

How bout plugged fuel filter or failing pump? Get a friend to turn the ignition to ON (but DON'T start the car) while you stick your head under the tank, and see if you can hear the pump running well. If it's weak sounding, really quiet, or not a steady, strong sound when it primes, the pump could be on it's way out. If it sounds ok, your fuel filter could perhaps be starting to get plugged.

PS - keep us posted as to how you make out, or if you need more help. Please don't be one of those posters that joins, posts one or two posts, and then leaves the thread hanging and we never see you again.
    http://www.screech.ws/
    98 Chev K2500 (4x4), Vortec 350, 4.10 gearing, ECLB 155.5" WB
    98 Chev C2500 (2wd), Vortec 350 w/SFI kit, 3.73 gears, ECLB 155.5" WB
    89 Olds Cutlass Ciera W45 Int'l Coupe
    76 Olds Cutlass Supreme Brougham BBC
    95 Pontiac Trans Sport SE (US Model), 3800HO
    92 Pontiac Trans Sport GT (candidate for the L67?)
    92 Pontiac Trans Sport SE, S1 3800SC L67 - R.I.P. 2010-09-09

Vehicle
    1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera

If you can hear the fuel pump prime whenever you turn the ignition to ON, then I recommend you replace the fuel filter.

Assuming that the filter doesn't fix the issue, my next step would be to check the fuel pressure. On the fuel injector rail, directly behind the last zero of "3300" on the intake manifold, you will see a metal valve of sorts. (Towards the firewall on the metal fuel line that connects to the fuel rail) There will be a schrader valve similar to that of a bicycle tire. It is here that you connect a fuel pressure gauge to make sure you are getting sufficient fuel for the car to start.

Attach a gauge, (your local neighbor with tools may have one) and turn the ignition to "ON." You should expect to see the gauge to read at least 35 PSI. Upon starting the car, pressure should be at least 35 PSI, but may vary up and down a little bit. I consider 30 PSI to be the minimum. If it isn't this high, your fuel pump is probably going out.
    What is this & what does pulling it out do?