Thread: Changing Speakers and Stereo ?

Vehicle
    1993 Olds Ceira S, 3300 - 82K - Sapphire blue leather interior

Angry Changing Speakers and Stereo ?

I'm a new kid in this neighborhood and have been reading tons of the old post here for the past couple of weeks. Thanks to some good old threads and older post I am getting excited about my 1993 Old's Ceira S.

I have a few issues (e.g. power windows) I am working on but have read enough from other post that I hope to knock them out soon.

I have searched and read but still have some questions. I read that the front dash speaker grill is suppose to be able to be removed by just using your hands. I tried with no luck and then used a wide blade screw driver to try and pop it off from bottom corner and it wouldn't give. I didn't want to break something so I gave up.

1. Is there any trick to release a plastic tab on the dash grill to get to the 3.5" speakers?

2. Now moving to the back, one of my rear speakers just makes loud noise/static so bad that I have had to just disconnect it. I don't know if the wiring is bad or the speaker totally shot. I tried running a ground wire to the speaker but it made no difference so I think I will just get another set anyway. The stock rear speakers are 6x9 but I wonder if a 6.5" round will fit without major work - that is the size I would prefer to purchase. BTW, my rear bracket looks more like a coat hanger wire stretched across the bottom of the speaker instead of the wider metal that I have seen in one of the threads here. I guess they saved a dollar on the bracket in the later years. Anyone using 6.5" rear speakers?

3. I tried to get to the stereo by removing the black bezel cover. There are 4 vertical screws on the top side of the cover. Three of them appear to be rusted in as I just cannot get them to break loose at all. I've tried my best phillips screwdriver and hit them with a hammer a few times. They are set like in concrete. Since they are facing up PB Blaster isn't an option. Does that mean I have to try and drill the heads off of the screws or what? The one is above the steering wheel so it is going to be tuff even getting to it.

4. I know the GM head units are 1.5 din and most are just using a replacement 1 din head unit. I have not found anyone that has reported using a double din. Nevertheless I thought I'd ask if anyone has been able to make some cuts and get a double din unit to fit in the opening please let us know. I can't even get in there for a good look until I get that darn bezel cover off.
    Last edited by Cressida; 02-11-2011 at 05:01 PM.

Vehicle
    91' Olds Ciera SL

hmmmm :/ strange ,, all i have to do is firmly grip the side and the very front of the grille piece & pull up slowly and it pops out.. hopefully someone didnt try and glue them down ..

As for your static in your speakers ,, i cant tell w/o hearing it but it sounds like it either blown or a bad wire... hard to tell from words.. most likely the 18yo speakers are all used up .. they dont last forever..

Good luck in solving the problem

Vehicle
    1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera

Look in the Knowledge base for my video. I take apart an Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera dash to remove a gauge cluster. It's the same process in getting to the radio. Once you get the radio bezel off, you remove four screws to the radio housing to remove the old Delco radio.

As far as the static noise goes, I think you have a channel that's out in your Delco radio. If I were you, I'd look on crutchfield.com for some stereo harnesses, they include them with most receivers.

The mounting bosses for the radio bracket are molded plastic, take much care not to bottom out the screws on these threads. Also, you'd have to take a sawz-all to those molded brackets if you wanted to install a double DIN stereo. To add with that, the radio bezel would cover up a portion of the double DIN stereo. I'd just run with the typical stereo size, that's what I did. Crutchfield's install kits keep the stereo face as flush with the dash as possible.
    What is this & what does pulling it out do?

Vehicle
    1993 Olds Ceira S, 3300 - 82K - Sapphire blue leather interior

OK, 1. I learned it really helps to open the car door and lift on the sides of the front dash speaker covers and then they released. I previously was inside the car with doors closed due to cold weather and I was approaching them from the bottom side. Opening the doors and starting from the outside made the difference.

2. I think you are right about a channel that's out in my Delco radio. I put another speaker in that location and it didn't work either.

3. I was able to break loose the screws after I rigged a very large phillips head screw fastener and torqued it with my ratchet.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Vehicle
    1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera

Here's the link to the video in case you couldn't find it.

http://www.a-body.net/forums/showthr...-Gauge-Cluster
    What is this & what does pulling it out do?

6. 02-14-2011, 03:23 PM

Reason
    Double Post

Vehicle
    1996 Oldsmobile Ciera

You've probably already read it, but here's a writeup I did last year:
    http://www.a-body.net/forums/showthr...o-installation
    Oldsmobile Quality. Feel It.