Thread: converting to floor shift

Vehicle
    92 buick century custom

Default converting to floor shift

is it possible to convert these cars from column shift to floor shift? ive seen some a-bodies that are floor shift with a t-handle shifter, i would much rather have that then have a column shift. if its possible, is it possible to do it without mods?
    -Devin

Current car- 88 Olds Toronado Trofeo 3.8L LN3 83k

Former car- 92 Buick Century Custom 3.3L LG7 151k-SOLD!

Vehicle
    92 buick century custom

bump
    -Devin

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

I don't know for sure, but I know GM pretty well. I'm sure all the hole are probably pre-drilled. You'll just need to come up with he hardware.... New column, shifter, etc.

Ken T.

Vehicle
    92 buick century custom

if i converted it to floor shift, couldnt i just leave the factory column in, but disconnect the shift linkage in the engine bay? i have seen a column to floor shifter conversion kit for gm th350 and th400 trannys but i havent seen anyother kits
    -Devin

You could leave in your stock column, but there will be no provision for a park interlock feature. In other words, you won't have to turn the key to take the floor shifter out of park. The floor already has the mounts for the console and shifter, just make sure to get the special retaining hardware from the donor car.
    -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe, '86 Eurosport sedan, '86 Eurosport sedan, '88 Eurosport VR coupe, '88 Eurosport wagon, '93 Ciera sedan

Vehicle
    82 buick century (4.3lt diesel), 2000 Vw jetta 2.0

http://www.a-body.net/forums/showthr...ighlight=speed

it all there in this thread

you will not have to play with the fly wheel the way i did. it just bolt and go. if you have a 2.5 you will need a factory shim the goes on the crank. but for v6's the flywheels are the same for2.8 thru 3.4's

Quote Originally Posted by LordDurock
    most great ideas will lose the original luster and wonder of their profound expression, when subject to the masses, for all ideas are building blocks on the greater truth, not the whole truth
    82 Buick Century 4.3lt diesel
    00 VW jetta 2.0
    00 vw beetle 1.9 TDI

Vehicle
    1989 W45 Ciera Int'l Coupe

Hey LD, I believe what he's asking about is just to convert the shifter to a floor mounted shifter but still keep it automatic, not converting to a manual transmission like you did.

You will need the following hardware, which, as was mentioned, will be best to get all from one donor car, and it should be a 4 speed overdrive donor car if that's what transmission you've got:
    - column (a column from the floor shifted car has the proper interlock mechanism to prevent turning the key to LOCK with the car out of park, as was mentioned);
    - shifter interlock cable (actuates interlock mechanism on column, locking out key from turning to LOCK until shifter placed in park);
    - shifter, console, all mounting hardware for both;
    - transmission shift cable (you will be removing the one that currently goes from the column to the transmission and installing the one from the console shifter to the transmission);
    - grommet for old shift cable location (now here's where it MAY get sticky - the column shift and console shift cables don't always go out the same hole, depending on your car's options, and you may find the hole which the console shift cable goes through on the donor car is populated with a cruise control harness or something like that on yours; you will need to route the shift cable through the proper hole because of its grommet and because of the length of the cable, so you might have to re-route whatever else is in the hole needed for the transmission shift cable, which could therefore mean other parts needed from the donor car ie: cruise harness);
    - block-off plate for cluster to remove PRNODL/PRNDL indicator (not a necessity, but it will finish the "stock" look of the car having come with the console shifter originally);
    - wiring harness for console lighting (even if you snip these wires in the console you can run some cable from under your dash for the parking lights for the shift indicator and interior light power for the rear floor light (if so equipped) and splice the connectors into the new wiring under the console and have them out of sight; NOTE: you WILL be removing your driver seat to run the wiring for this);

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. It's not a 5-minute swap, but if done correctly it can make the car much more enjoyable and perhaps even up the resale value a little.
    http://www.screech.ws/
    98 Chev K2500 (4x4), Vortec 350, 4.10 gearing, ECLB 155.5" WB
    98 Chev C2500 (2wd), Vortec 350 w/SFI kit, 3.73 gears, ECLB 155.5" WB
    89 Olds Cutlass Ciera W45 Int'l Coupe
    76 Olds Cutlass Supreme Brougham BBC
    95 Pontiac Trans Sport SE (US Model), 3800HO
    92 Pontiac Trans Sport GT (candidate for the L67?)
    92 Pontiac Trans Sport SE, S1 3800SC L67 - R.I.P. 2010-09-09

Vehicle
    92 buick century custom

@SCREECH- yes that is what i want to do, i would love to have a standard, but i dont want to put the time and money into this car its not in good enough shape.

what car(s) could i use as a donor for this?

also how you said i need to take the column, would this HAVE to be done or would it just be a preference, because i dont care if the key can be turned off while not in park.
    -Devin

Vehicle
    82 buick century (4.3lt diesel), 2000 Vw jetta 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by SCREECH View Post
    now here's where it MAY get sticky - the column shift and console shift cables don't always go out the same hole, depending on your car's options, and you may find the hole which the console shift cable goes through on the donor car is populated with a cruise control harness or something like that on yours; you will need to route the shift cable through the proper hole because of its grommet and because of the length of the cable, so you might have to re-route whatever else is in the hole needed for the transmission shift cable, which could therefore mean other parts needed from the donor car ie: cruise harness);
    this explains so much.....stupid 3 speed auto cable was B##$H to get out of my car as it was routed behind the strut tower. glad to know they made a better option

Quote Originally Posted by LordDurock
    most great ideas will lose the original luster and wonder of their profound expression, when subject to the masses, for all ideas are building blocks on the greater truth, not the whole truth
    82 Buick Century 4.3lt diesel
    00 VW jetta 2.0
    00 vw beetle 1.9 TDI

NE of The 8th Most Dangerous City in America
    Vehicle
    87/88 Eurosport VR

I second Screechs answer. That pretty much covers it. It can be done on a saturday afternoon or over a weekend. Getting the parts is the hardest part!
    Check out my VR at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/805391 and at the definitive source of Eurosport VR information http://www.eurosportvr.com