PDA

View Full Version : automatic to manual conversion?

I stole grandma's cutty
09-20-2007, 11:36 PM
hi i was just wondering if anyone here has ever done or heard of doing an auto to manual conversion on an a-body. I really miss driving standard and I've heard that its not too difficult to remove the driveshaft on these cars. I was reading on wikipedia about the Getrag produced 5sp manual for the 87' chevy celebrity but my car is a 93 so I dont know if the differences would be too great to do a swap that way..

LS1Stunna
09-21-2007, 12:16 PM
If you have a 3.3Liter that is a different bellhousing than that of an 88 Celebrity (whose biggest motor was the 2.8 at the time). The Getrag won't bolt up.

CieraSL92
09-22-2007, 11:18 AM
The ciera and celebrity's both had 5 speeds avaliable. The century and 6000 did not. There very rare to find though. IIRC, there were some mated to a 3300 (89 Ciera International?)

I stole grandma's cutty
09-22-2007, 05:29 PM
Ah i see... it is probably more work than it is worth anyway since I do a lot of city driving.

LS1Stunna
09-24-2007, 04:06 PM
Yea I would say its more work than its worth. These automatic trannies aren't bad anyway, they can take quite a beating (I've towed S-10 Blazers and Cadillacs out of subframe deep mud with my 86, neutral dropped a few times, did tray sliding with the rear brakes locked up), and attempted some burnouts). I will be safer with my 6000 though so that it may last, as it has been pushed harder in the past than my 86 was.

Pontiac6ksteawd
09-24-2007, 06:51 PM
If you have a 3.3Liter that is a different bellhousing than that of an 88 Celebrity (whose biggest motor was the 2.8 at the time). The Getrag won't bolt up.

I am pretty sure that this info is completely inaccurate. The 3.3/3.8 90* motors, and the 2.8/3.1 60* motors use the same transmissions, and are swappable.

The hardest part is finding a A-body (celebrity, ciera, century, 6000) or a X-body (Citation, skylark, Omega, phoenix) that is a stick shift, then taking the brake pedal, clutch pedal, and shifter cables, stick shift mount. From there it gets a little more simple, you can use a 4 speed tranny found in the older X-bodys and fieros, or a 5 speed tranny found in ALOT of diferent GM made cars. Then it gets harder. I dont remember which one, but one of the motors are balanced oddly. I just dont remember which one. Steve (otisdavidson) would know. Then taking out the auto tranny, plugging the tranny cooler lines at the radiator, fly wheel exchange, EEPROM reprogram, taking out old tranny, putting in new tranny, etc etc.. Supposidly the best tranny to use for the swap is from a 88 (maybe 87) Chevy cavalier/Pontiac sunbird 2.8 with a 5 speed. The tranny has both electronic and mechanical speed sensors, so it works for both the older and newer A-bodys. Hopefully this will get you started if you choose this endevor..

Slacker
10-09-2007, 07:20 PM
My owners manual claimed the '84 came with a 4 speed manual transmission. I was thinking about tackling this job next summer, but I'm starting to think it might be more of a headache than it's worth.... :\

notsoslimshady76
10-09-2007, 08:09 PM
The tough thing is finding the parts. Not many were made to begin with! But if you could find a complete parts car, life would be easy

RIVI72
10-09-2007, 09:39 PM
I was looking over at the grand am forum and apprantly theres this guy who has a 3.3 in his grand am and he was converting it to a 5spd and was taking the old boxy cavalier with the 3.1 5spd he was using the tranny, clutch, flywheel but drilled holes to match the bolt pattern of the 3.3 and i guess it works and everything so my question is couldn't we just a get a cavalier tranny and all that jazz and bolt it up to our A-bodies :confused:

SexySilhouette
10-09-2007, 11:23 PM
Unless you're like me and have the parts imported from Mexico.......Down there, the Ciera had a 5 speed up to 1995 or 1996...

86euro
10-10-2007, 12:58 AM
Unless you're like me and have the parts imported from Mexico.......Down there, the Ciera had a 5 speed up to 1995 or 1996...

How would I go about doing that? I still haven't located anything much better than the beretta parts I have.

RIVI72
10-10-2007, 02:24 AM
what 86 euro said how and where would go and order the parts and how much did it cost you

Duke George V
10-12-2007, 02:07 AM
The ciera and celebrity's both had 5 speeds avaliable. The century and 6000 did not. There very rare to find though. IIRC, there were some mated to a 3300 (89 Ciera International?)
I'm gonna have to disagree with this, and swap 6000 and Ciera. Celebrity and 6000 were offered with manual transmissions, but Ciera and Century were not. They were targetted at a different market. Celebrity was an entry-level model, so a manual option is natural. 6000 was the sport model, and manual would be good for that. Ciera and Century were more up-market, for older people who just want a comfortable couch-mobile, so automatics only.

SexySilhouette
10-12-2007, 02:12 AM
You COULD get a manual in a Ciera. I once looked at a 1984 wagon with a 4 speed!

The Century was not offered with a manual.

And I have a few pics of 6000s with 5 speeds.

LordDurock
10-12-2007, 04:03 PM
You COULD get a manual in a Ciera. I once looked at a 1984 wagon with a 4 speed!

i though the wagons were 4 speed autos

86euro
10-12-2007, 07:03 PM

So how do you get the parts from mexico? Or would you have to kill me if you told me?:)

Oh yeah, if you are who I think you are, I have a bonnie with your name on it;)

CieraSL92
10-13-2007, 01:56 AM
Ciera and celebs were the only offered with manual. 6000 and century were not. I am 90% percent sure. I have NEVER seen a factory equipped manual in either the Pontiac 6000 or a later than 1986 Century (Only centurys I've seen are later than 86)

The manual was lost for the mainstream market for the most part after the 1970's. How many people OPT for manual trannys these days? I mean real people, not racing fanatics. It wasn't that much different when the a-body's were still being produced.

Duke George V
10-13-2007, 02:36 AM
Ciera and celebs were the only offered with manual. 6000 and century were not. I am 90% percent sure. I have NEVER seen a factory equipped manual in either the Pontiac 6000 or a later than 1986 Century (Only centurys I've seen are later than 86)
You really don't remember that thread in the old forum where we went off for three pages about an '87 or so STE with a manual?

Disclaimer: I'm not specifically picking on you. I know that 6000s had manual options. I saw one in a yard several years ago and was taken aback, since at the time I didn't think any A-body came with a manual.

RIVI72
10-13-2007, 02:38 AM
So how do you get the 5 spd from mexico im dying to know lol
I'm pretty sure the celeb and ciera both came with a 5 spd international came with one didn't it and the vr's had one aslo didn't they :confused:

BTW how much did it cost you, Thanks

SexySilhouette
10-14-2007, 02:49 AM
Having a friend that visits Mexico every 6 months and will bring back parts for me...:D Everything but the actual trannies. Mostly interior, exterior - coupe & sedan, shifter cables, shifters, axles, pedals, and the like. The heaviest parts were the seats (leather and cloth). :D He's raped several 5 speed Cutlass Euros so far and knows the locations of 3 more for parts.

Cost me actual parts cost (which was almost nothing) and a case of beer.

But get in line...lol there's about 6 people in line for 5 speed and Cutlass Eurosport parts. lol I need to sort through everything and see what's good and what I want to keep for myself.

And I believe only the 6000 and Celeb could get a 5 speed after 1984 and they were dropped after 1988.

CieraSL92
10-14-2007, 06:10 AM
Only the 6000 and Celeb could get a 5 speed after 84?

I've seen Ciera's with five speeds. I do remember the thread that you just mentioned. So.. 6000, Celeb, Ciera. Nadda for the Century?

There was a picture of a mexican Ciera with a five speed on the old forum. It was actually screech that posted it. It also had a Driver Info center which is why I remember it so clearly. I believe it was 87-89?

LordDurock
12-10-2007, 02:23 AM
i just read that a some 6000's came with a 4 speed maunal. but only with a 2.5 or a the 4.3 diesel

SexySilhouette
12-10-2007, 02:51 AM
Only the 6000 and Celeb could get a 5 speed after 84?

I've seen Ciera's with five speeds. I do remember the thread that you just mentioned. So.. 6000, Celeb, Ciera. Nadda for the Century?

There was a picture of a mexican Ciera with a five speed on the old forum. It was actually screech that posted it. It also had a Driver Info center which is why I remember it so clearly. I believe it was 87-89?

I posted a bunch of the Mexican Cieras..

I believe the U.S. Ciera only had a manual option for 1 year, 1984...I recall a 1984 Ciera wagon with a 4 speed awhile back.

SexySilhouette
12-10-2007, 02:52 AM
i just read that a some 6000's came with a 4 speed maunal. but only with a 2.5 or a the 4.3 diesel

There was an STE on ebay awhile back with a 5 speed...And someone on W-body posted a 5 speed 6K wagon.

SCREECH
01-03-2008, 08:15 AM
Hey gang. I just thought I'd clear this topic up for anyone that's looking in on it. I've done quite a bit of research in this department and have been fortunate to get my hands on several complete manual tranny cars from both generations - the '84-'86 and '87-'88 model years. Ok, here goes:

'84-'86: A-bodies were available with a 4 speed Muncie transaxle (M19) with a 3.65:1 FDR (GY5), 4th gear being an overdrive gear, btw. It was available on ALL lines (Buick, Chev, Olds and Pontiac) but only with the 2.5L 4cyl or the 4.3L diesel - NOT the 2.8L V6. The clutch activation for these years was a manual, cable-activated clutch with a ratchet-style cable adjustment on the pedal assembly.

'87-'88: The Muncie was replaced with the HM-282 Muncie/Getrag 5 speed transaxle (MG2), aka 5TM40. The final drive ratio was 3.61:1 (FX8). This option was only available on Chevrolet Celebrities and Pontiac 6000s, and only on the 2.8L V6, NOT the 4 cylinder. The clutch for the Getrags was hydraulically controlled. The although the brake pedals were physically different from the '84-'86 and '87-'88 A-bodies, they are interchangeable. The clutch pedal assembly, on the other hand, is 100% different between the cable clutch and hydraulic clutch models. The clutch master cylinder is a remote-resevoir style, a necessity due to the lack of space between the brake booster and driver's side strut tower. Clutch hydraulics for this setup can still, to this day, be purchased on eBay for a FRACTION of what they would have been when available from GM.

NOTE - GM never to my knowledge offered a 90-degree FWD gasoline V6 mated to a manual transaxle - I'm of course referring to the 3.8L, 3300 and 3800 engines. So while the bellhousing design is the same, dictating that the transmission will bolt up to any GM FWD engine (save for the Cadillac Northstars without some modification) no factory flywheel exists for such an installation. HOWEVER, a '96+ F-body 3800 Series-II (L36) flywheel can be made to do the job rather easily.

If one was looking to perform this swap/upgrade the most difficult part to obtain would be the clutch pedal. I have not found a clutch pedal that appears to be even remotely close to the Celebrity/6000 hydraulic clutch pedal. I've been told that people have used modified Beretta pedals, but they had a tendency to break after some use if I recall correctly.

I do believe it would be possible to use the cable style clutch pedal with the Getrag 5 speed by installing the appropriate hardware from the Muncie onto an '87-'89 Getrag with an external slave cylinder (before the redesign which I believe was in '90 when the slave cylinder would bolt right to the rear of the bellhousing with no external arm visible).

There is TONS more info needed to do this swap. The swap itself shouldn't be that difficult if you get all the parts together first. I am about to perform a 5 speed install on a 1989 W45 Ciera International Coupe with a 3300 engine. I will then be able to post more details. In the mean time, feel free to ask any questions you want and I'll do my best to answer them.

bigjoe1015
02-07-2008, 02:47 AM
Don't forget about the Fieros. A lot of those parts are interchangeable with A and X body cars. Check out any good Fiero forum to find just about any engine and tranny swap you could imagine.

SCREECH
02-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Don't forget about the Fieros. A lot of those parts are interchangeable with A and X body cars. Check out any good Fiero forum to find just about any engine and tranny swap you could imagine.

I was talking with V8 Archie a while ago and he sent me some pictures of an Olds Cutlass Cruiser wagon he had installed a small block chevy V8 into. Pretty much anything's possible with the right equipment and determination. :rock:

85_Ciera_Rebuild
02-13-2008, 02:46 AM
modified Beretta pedals, but they had a tendency to break after some use if I recall correctly.

Surely there is some after market solution...like maybe a hydraulic clutch pedal setup?

SCREECH
02-13-2008, 05:48 AM
Surely there is some after market solution...like maybe a hydraulic clutch pedal setup?

Pretty much anything's possible with the right equipment and determination.

:dunno:

Tuddi
02-13-2008, 07:13 AM
Pretty much anything's possible with the right equipment and determination.

Close but not a box full of cigars....

With determination, will and access to the right equipment.... or MAKING the right equipment; ANYTHING is possible.

The biggest hindrance is always the human mind. "We" humans tend to give up before we have come to the first hindrance, finding excuses at every turn we make.

Cutting that weakness out, we can get really far without having to stop for "professional assistance".

klyuen
03-24-2008, 09:45 AM
I am pretty sure that this info is completely inaccurate. The 3.3/3.8 90* motors, and the 2.8/3.1 60* motors use the same transmissions, and are swappable.

The hardest part is finding a A-body (celebrity, ciera, century, 6000) or a X-body (Citation, skylark, Omega, phoenix) that is a stick shift, then taking the brake pedal, clutch pedal, and shifter cables, stick shift mount. From there it gets a little more simple, you can use a 4 speed tranny found in the older X-bodys and fieros, or a 5 speed tranny found in ALOT of diferent GM made cars. Then it gets harder. I dont remember which one, but one of the motors are balanced oddly. I just dont remember which one. Steve (otisdavidson) would know. Then taking out the auto tranny, plugging the tranny cooler lines at the radiator, fly wheel exchange, EEPROM reprogram, taking out old tranny, putting in new tranny, etc etc.. Supposidly the best tranny to use for the swap is from a 88 (maybe 87) Chevy cavalier/Pontiac sunbird 2.8 with a 5 speed. The tranny has both electronic and mechanical speed sensors, so it works for both the older and newer A-bodys. Hopefully this will get you started if you choose this endevor..
If I want my 1989 century change to manual Tranmission, where I can buy the manual Tranmission? Which kind Tranmission I can use? Thanks

Pontiac6ksteawd
03-24-2008, 09:24 PM
I would probly stick with a A, X, or Fiero tranny. The W-bodys use this extension shaft that I dont know if its interchangable with the A-Bodys.

Once I get back to feeling better, I will get back with you some more. Might have to drop me a reminder notice thou. Been sick for a week now.

SCREECH
03-25-2008, 07:22 PM
If I want my 1989 century change to manual Tranmission, where I can buy the manual Tranmission? Which kind Tranmission I can use? Thanks

You should be able to use any option code MG2 Getrag 5 speed transmission (I would expect W-body Getrags to work fine - I don't know if they have an extension housing on the side or not, but you should be able to unbolt it and use the long A-body passenger side axle, J-bodies also used this transmission in V6 Cavaliers) or option M19 Munice 4 speed transmission. There's a lot of other parts that you'll need for the conversion as well. I've got a couple of manual conversion kits available right now that would work for your Century, one with the 4 speed Muncie and one with the 5 speed Getrag. If you're seriously interested in performing this swap please e-mail me at screech@screech.ws.

Pontiac6ksteawd
03-25-2008, 09:15 PM
The W-bodys used a extension shaft, that came out the passenger side of the tranny. I know it made the CV joints equal lengths to each side. If you end up using one out of a W-body. I would love to have that extension shaft.

86euro
03-26-2008, 12:22 AM
The W-bodys used a extension shaft, that came out the passenger side of the tranny. I know it made the CV joints equal lengths to each side. If you end up using one out of a W-body. I would love to have that extension shaft.

The getrag 282 that I pulled from an '89 beretta used an extension shaft, do you know if it would be the same as the w-body part? I doubt I will be using it (the extension).

Techfizzle
03-26-2008, 02:20 AM
Why the heck would you want to REMOVE the auto trans! Its like getting rid of the motor and using your feet to make it go! Keep the convenicence1

LordDurock
03-26-2008, 03:41 PM
Why the heck would you want to REMOVE the auto trans! Its like getting rid of the motor and using your feet to make it go! Keep the convenicence1

one i like being able to shift into 4th gear going 40 in my mother bug and have the rmp drop to about 1200 (diesel) while crusing, it great on the feul eco.

2 i think with a light turbo and a man 5 speed i could see about 40's mpg highway but i dont think i can fix the out put ratios on the 5 speeds.

sticks arint that bad around town eaither just when oyu stop pop it out of gear and take foot of the clutch. ;)

SCREECH
03-26-2008, 04:04 PM
The W-bodys used a extension shaft, that came out the passenger side of the tranny.

I have a 282 out of a '90 J-body as well, and it also had an extension housing out the passenger side of the transaxle. Here's an image comparing it's axle and extension housing to a new passenger driveaxle for a Getrag equipped A-body:

http://screech.ws/miscpics/a-j_passenger_axles.jpg

Pontiac6ksteawd
03-26-2008, 07:26 PM
The one on the W-bodys is also a competely diferent beast altogether. It has mounting on the tranny, as well as the block. bad thing is they arent as strong as the should be, and are known to break. All aluminum housing.

klyuen
03-28-2008, 07:14 AM
I have a 282 out of a '90 J-body as well, and it also had an extension housing out the passenger side of the transaxle. Here's an image comparing it's axle and extension housing to a new passenger driveaxle for a Getrag equipped A-body:

http://screech.ws/miscpics/a-j_passenger_axles.jpg

Thanks your answer.
Can you tell me If I change the Transmission ,The ECM Should be chenge together.
Thanks a lot.

SCREECH
03-29-2008, 05:38 AM
...If I change the Transmission, the ECM should be changed together?
If the transmission is controlled by the computer in your car, then yes. The computer will need to be changed or reprogrammed so it's not still looking for the automatic transmission. Your '89 Century does not have the transmission controlled by the ECM, so you shouldn't need to do anything with it if you changed to a manual transmission.

Pontiac6ksteawd
03-29-2008, 08:38 AM
Well, he would for his speedo to be correct, but other than that, you are correct.

SCREECH
03-30-2008, 07:25 PM
Well, he would for his speedo to be correct, but other than that, you are correct.

This is one area that I'm not 100% clear on. I guess I'll be getting schooled in this subject right quick with the work I'm doing to my electronic speedometer equipped '89 Ciera - I'm swapping the transaxle from a 4T60 with the electronic speedometer sending unit, VSS or vehicle speed sensor, to the 5TM40 (Getrag) from an '88 Celeb. The Getrag also has the electronic VSS setup. Did GM use different sending units or pickup rings for the automatics than they did the standards? I guess I've never really taken the time to dig into this as much as I should have.

I recall someone once discussing how they did the Getrag swap into a vehicle that had an electronic transmission (4T60-E or 65-E) and they ended up welding the pickup wheel from the passenger side internals of the automatic tranny onto the drive axle for the Getrag and continued using the original speedo setup that way. So, ultimately, I guess my question is what exactly is different between the electronic speedo on the Getrag and the electronic speedo used in the automatic transaxles? :dunno:

Pontiac6ksteawd
03-30-2008, 08:33 PM
Its probly the magnetic ring, having diferent gaps. I know there is a diference. When i upgraded my 87 Pontiac 6000 LE to Speed Density Software, I tried many diferent EEPROMS. One was a 5 speed prom. It read aprox 20 MPH to fast at 10 MPH. But I also had some auto tranny EEPROMS that did this too. So I could be half right, and half wrong..

Pontiac6ksteawd
04-04-2008, 12:27 AM
The extension shaft I was talking about for W-body's...

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=66563.0;attach=883 4;image

F14CRAZY
04-08-2008, 05:06 AM
Here's some inspiration from my other project...anything is possible...

http://www.bonnevilleclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=964372#964372

Why a 4 or 5, when you can have a 6? :)

notsoslimshady76
04-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Very cool!!

The Mad Hatter
07-13-2008, 12:12 AM
[QUOTE=SCREECH;3792] I do believe it would be possible to use the cable style clutch pedal with the Getrag 5 speed by installing the appropriate hardware from the Muncie onto an '87-'89 Getrag with an external slave cylinder (before the redesign which I believe was in '90 when the slave cylinder would bolt right to the rear of the bellhousing with no external arm visible). [QUOTE]

Hey screech, if i'm reading that right, it sounds like i can get a Getrag from, lets say an 89 cavalier, and use a cable setup from a Muncie car? I'm looking at this b/c my 95 3800 swap motor has a fried 4t60e attached to it, and since its out of the car, this would be the best time to do the swap, if i'm gonna do it at all. So Beretta parts wouldn't work?

SCREECH
07-14-2008, 02:02 AM
So Beretta parts wouldn't work?

No, I believe there was someone on one of the A-body forums a while back that was using heavily modified Beretta parts that eventually broke. I haven't found any other GM fwd vehicle that was even close to the A-body enough to bother trying to modify the parts.

Techfizzle
07-14-2008, 02:55 AM
it sounds like too much work. Why would you want to shift every 30 seconds?

Pontiac6ksteawd
07-14-2008, 06:27 AM
it sounds like too much work. Why would you want to shift every 30 seconds?

Say what? What are you talking about now>?

Techfizzle
07-14-2008, 07:30 AM
you have to shift EVERY time you stop wich is a pian in town

dagr8tim
07-14-2008, 12:45 PM

Have you ever owned or driven a stick for any length of time? I'm assuming you haven't if that is the best you can come up with.

I learned to drive in an 87 Suburu 5 speed. To this day (almost 17 years later & that was the only stick I ever owned), I still reach for the floor shifter or rest my hand on it while driving.

It becomes second nature and feels more natural than driving an automatic.

SCREECH
07-27-2008, 09:14 PM
To this day I still reach for the floor shifter or rest my hand on it while driving...It becomes second nature...
HAHA! Tell me about it! I seem to have also developed the habit of not just holding steady throttle but letting off at higher RPM and tromping it again once the car shifts. :dunno:

The Mad Hatter
07-28-2008, 02:05 AM

It's quite simple really. Some people like to DRIVE their cars, and others just prefer to ride. It's all a matter of preference.

raymondjram
09-16-2008, 02:22 AM
I have a 1984 Olds Ciera LS with the 3.0 liter V6 and the THM-125C transaxle. I am searching for the 4-speed manual (MT-125?) because I wish to convert my Ciera to electric. Can anyone help me find one?

Thanks!

85_Ciera_Rebuild
09-16-2008, 03:03 AM
I wish to convert my Ciera to electric.

Can you find a lighter vehicle, with a manual transmission in it????

Reducing weight is better with electric vehicles.

Do you have a local salvage yard down there....or do people park their "dead" vehicles where they live?

It would be cheaper, maybe, to find another vehicle with manual transmission...down there.

raymondjram
09-28-2008, 01:20 AM
It may be easier to use another, lighter car but I am on a very small budget and my car is paid off. I know my Ciera well, and I wish to give it a new life as a converted EV. I have all the GM factory service manuals and a few others, so I will do all the work myself. All I need is a good 4-speed manual (which I might modify to use only 2nd and 4th gears). I can get the electric motor, the transaxle adapter plate and the other electrical materials.

Would the 4-speed transaxles of other GM bodies also work? I will remove the front subframe to do the conversion but I wish to keep the same axle shafts, so the swap could be simpler.

Thanks!

Raymond

85_Ciera_Rebuild
09-28-2008, 03:35 AM
Would the 4-speed transaxles of other GM bodies also work?

One way or another, they could be made to work.....

>same axle shafts

One will have to count the number of spines and check diameter size....If you have one locally, then compare it. Without a cross reference book of the specific transmission, I can not say.

GM tends to maintain same transmissions/etc with same design overtime...since it cuts down on costs....but they do change sometimes...like they did with motor/transmission mounts in late 80s.

Just examine one, if you can found one down there....finding a front wheel drive transaxle in my location is not easy...most vehicles sold had automatic transmissions

What is in your local salvage yard down there????? What type of vehicles....can you do machine work??? It's possible to find other parts from different vehicles (VW, Toyoto, etc) and install something.

You might want to compare empty weight to VW Rabbit, Porsche 914, Honda Civic, Honda CRX, Ford Escort, and aircooled VWs.

I hope this has been bean-counted out....if I lived down there, I'd ride a motorcycle.

86euro
09-30-2008, 01:59 AM
Would the 4-speed transaxles of other GM bodies also work? I will remove the front subframe to do the conversion but I wish to keep the same axle shafts, so the swap could be simpler.

Thanks!

Raymond

I think your best bet would be a 4-speed-equipped Fiero for the tranny, mounts, and maybe axles. The rest of the parts would still need to be from an A-body though.

85_Ciera_Rebuild
09-30-2008, 02:11 AM
I think your best bet would be a 4-speed-equipped Fiero

I would suspect in Bayamon, Puerto Rico....not much to pick from in salvage yard(s)....and they would "pick your pockets" for salvage parts.

I wonder how fast he wants to travel....there may be other options, like an electric motor attached to a 90-degree gear box (not a transmission) driving one axle, and an electric motor hooked to other axle for higher speeds...but I would need to know what RPM these electric motors are.

He suggested a "two speed" transmission....(which I might modify to use only 2nd and 4th gears)....but, a little machine work would be needed.

http://www.j-thomas.com/A-115_side_image_fin.jpg

86euro
09-30-2008, 03:52 AM
I have basically zero knowledge of electric conversions, but I would think a one-wheel-per-speed setup would create one heck of a pull to one side while driving.

85_Ciera_Rebuild
10-01-2008, 01:45 AM
I would think a one-wheel-per-speed setup would create one heck of a pull to one side while driving.

ONLY when POWER FOOTER drives it....chances are, he has a power steering unit...which increases tugging on steering wheel....and if he has a tilt wheel, he's going to mess it up, when power steering pump is not running.

I'm surprised he couldn't use a modified auto (direct-drive to "rear end") with a two speed box.

Finding a 4-Speed, then shipping it down there would cost alot of Moo-La....

Maybe he could start a separate thread, and explain the basics of motor operation....most people think inside the "box," and don't consider other angles...like maybe a variable speed pulley setup....

SCREECH
10-06-2008, 12:47 PM
I've got a COMPLETE 4 speed setup from a Celebrity, including pedals, shift and clutch cables, mount brackets, axles, and transmission. I imagine shipping would be quite hefty and probably blow your budget, but if you'd like to talk more about it drop me an e-mail with your shipping address at screech@screech.ws.