PDA

View Full Version : little window in rear

Tonglebeak
09-21-2007, 03:49 AM
What the heck is that little window in between the rear passenger's window, and the rear deck window, called? >_>

And I've seen many a-bodies that have a plastic/metal piece there in place of that window. I don't like those tiny windows, so how hard would it be to swap out the windows with the metal/plastic piece?

mickstan_VR
09-21-2007, 09:56 PM
I've heard it called an "opera" window. And its a real sob to get out. You've seen them replaced with plastic because thats how a thief gets into your car. Bust out that window, and you can reach the door lock.

notsoslimshady76
09-22-2007, 12:23 AM
I never knew there were windows there lol. Mines plastic

LordDurock
09-22-2007, 12:44 AM
neer knew it ether i have the window but yea

Slacker
09-23-2007, 01:01 AM
I've heard it called an "opera" window.

I'm pretty sure you're right w/ that one. I remember reading somewhere when I was looking up info for my Towncar and seeing that. :D

You know, I always liked the front "opera windows" (even though, I don't think they're called that in the front) that older cars used to have... It's a nice way to open the window without actually opening it. :)

mickstan_VR
09-23-2007, 06:29 AM
The front was called a "wing" window. And yeah, I wish cars still had them.

6000LE
10-18-2007, 06:57 PM
well, those windows are on their permament. If you look theres a big difference between those and the platic piesces. They got rid of thoe little windows in 1989 (except for the Celebrity) when they al lchanged over to he aero "green house" syle rear windows.

I suppose you could remove the windos, scuff them up pretty good and paint both sides black and eliminate it. Not sure how it'll look though....or if its legal to do lol

dcjredline
10-18-2007, 08:04 PM
I would bet there are NO laws concerning those windows. I would just tint that window with 5% or paint it as suggested eariler. The plastic piece mounts with screws inside the door which I bet arent there on the ones with the window. The conversion wouldnt be so simple.

briconner
11-18-2010, 04:06 AM
well, those windows are on their permament. If you look theres a big difference between those and the platic piesces. They got rid of thoe little windows in 1989 (except for the Celebrity) when they al lchanged over to he aero "green house" syle rear window (http://www.jcwhitney.com/rear-window-louvers/c1962j1s17.jcwx).

I suppose you could remove the windos, scuff them up pretty good and paint both sides black and eliminate it. Not sure how it'll look though....or if its legal to do lol

Well, I still consider them as rear windows. Actually, I haven't noticed or inquired about them until you have posted this thread. hehe

'84 6000
11-18-2010, 06:48 AM
I don't see cops or inspection stations giving you hassle as they really don't provide any Visibility. You could get some Lexan and paint it(Paint should stick better to that then sanded glass) but it would probably look out of place, so 2.5% Tint might be better.

CamoDeafie
11-18-2010, 06:53 AM
Briconner. next time you post,PLEASE PLEASE note the date of last reply...:/ thats some epic necroposting there,,....as for the window thing?the plastic came on the newer aero roof cars, so it wont be compatible with the older car's window thing.

dcjredline
11-18-2010, 06:18 PM
Why is that such a big deal? If someone has some input on something why does it matter how old the thread is? If the thread is "SOO OLD YOU CANT POST IN IT" Why arent they deleted then? I know why cause someone else may come to the site that is new and see something that hes interested in and if someone else posted a response to that 2 years later the new guy doesnt care when the solution was posted?????

That and the all CAPS thing just erks me. WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL????

CamoDeafie
11-18-2010, 07:06 PM
if adding info, ok. but it bugs me when someone posts something like "where do i get them X parts" or question for the OP; where the OP has not posted in say, 6 months or more....just forum etiquette for me..as for all caps, its not yelling. its PROJECTING (Billy Mays, may he rest in peace) >.> I just think, if someone has a question for the OP, PM the OP before necro'ing.....unless there is more info to add to thread..then by all means add info...as I myself had been guilty of necro'ing some threads via adding new info or updates lol.

Prospeeder
11-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Why is that such a big deal? If someone has some input on something why does it matter how old the thread is? If the thread is "SOO OLD YOU CANT POST IN IT" Why arent they deleted then? I know why cause someone else may come to the site that is new and see something that hes interested in and if someone else posted a response to that 2 years later the new guy doesnt care when the solution was posted?????

That and the all CAPS thing just erks me. WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL????

100% agree. I would be browsing and find somthing i just HAD to say somthing or add somthing to, or even ask. And Would post faster than i noticed the thread date. Not a big deal to me, but other forums just have a damn fit

occupant
11-18-2010, 10:51 PM
I post where I please and when I please.

It's called postpostwhoring where I come from. Bringing back old topics from the dead. Useful info or not.

86euro
11-18-2010, 11:15 PM
It doesn't bother me much. I just don't like it when someone digs up and old post just to say "lol" or "haha", or something like that. Although, it is kinda funny to dig up the oldest thread you can find, just as a joke every now and again:)

occupant
11-19-2010, 02:12 PM
These windows are a real pain to replace, too. When I got my white '89 V6 Celebrity, the quarter window was broke out and covered with cardboard and brown strapping tape. I went completely redneck and put in a clear plastic piece I cut from the bottom of a rubbermaid food container. Then I taped it in place with clear packing tape. Replaced the tape every few weeks to seal it good.

dcjredline
11-19-2010, 05:38 PM
I guess, but what does it really hurt either way? No one here seems to be totally offended by it but even in the etiquette part WHY? Thats just "the way it is" isnt good enough of an excuse.

occupant
11-19-2010, 06:14 PM
I once made a back window for a wrecked Scirocco out of a clear plastic drop cloth and black duct tape. Tight enough to bounce quarters off of it. OH state trooper loved it. He then proceeded write me a ticket for the bumper being too close to the ground since it was bent down in a V shape and the middle part was only 6 inches off the ground. The law states the bottom edge of the bumper must be 8 inches off the ground. He was not amused by my suggestion that he crash his cruiser into the Scirocco to maybe smash the bumper back up higher.

mechanizeddeath
11-19-2010, 06:25 PM
My '96 lacks the little window, a shame as I really do like them. Not just from a styling perspective, but they do improve visibility slightly.

Plus, the black plastic is worn and faded on mine. :(

Regarding the necroposting, it's fine by me. On smaller forums like this, it isn't really an issue, and is often more funny than anything else. I've caught myself a couple times responding to "related" threads from 2007.

CamoDeafie
11-19-2010, 06:56 PM
guess i'm used to much larger forums where members have high turnovers and trolls aplenty. lol.

Buick_powa
11-20-2010, 11:56 PM
I once made a back window for a wrecked Scirocco out of a clear plastic drop cloth and black duct tape. Tight enough to bounce quarters off of it. OH state trooper loved it. He then proceeded write me a ticket for the bumper being too close to the ground since it was bent down in a V shape and the middle part was only 6 inches off the ground. The law states the bottom edge of the bumper must be 8 inches off the ground. He was not amused by my suggestion that he crash his cruiser into the Scirocco to maybe smash the bumper back up higher.

So you don't see much car with wheels in the fender in your state right?

occupant
11-21-2010, 01:17 AM
So you don't see much car with wheels in the fender in your state right?

That was a long time ago in another world. I live in Texas now and the rules are a bit different. Ohio is a pain in the ass not only for lowered cars but for lifted trucks as well. I'd rather be at normal ride height no matter what, or a small amount higher. I would definitely rock an A-body wagon, '85 Century would be nice, with the 4.3L diesel, overdrive automatic, a few inches of lift, and 15x7 wheels with say, 30x9.5 tires. No crazy rock crawling, just a better view of what's going on.

CamoDeafie
11-21-2010, 01:36 AM
lol. Oregon law says the bottom of the rim is the lowest that the bottom edge of bumpers can be. naturally, this means it has to be at minimum he height of the sidewall of the tires...the maximum is 54"....

86euro
11-21-2010, 03:11 AM
I'm fairly certain that bumper law is no longer used here in Ohio. What little lift/lowering laws they do have really aren't enforced, they just focus on making sure everyone runs a front plate (mostly for easy radar/laser "bullseye"). Big lifted trucks and extremely lowered cars/mini trucks are common to see.

'84 6000
11-21-2010, 06:52 AM
Oh crap, I didn't even notice the dates on this. Ditto on the related posts. 9 times outta 10 they are at least 2 or 3 years outdated.

mechanizeddeath
11-21-2010, 05:26 PM
That was a long time ago in another world. I live in Texas now and the rules are a bit different. Ohio is a pain in the ass not only for lowered cars but for lifted trucks as well. I'd rather be at normal ride height no matter what, or a small amount higher. I would definitely rock an A-body wagon, '85 Century would be nice, with the 4.3L diesel, overdrive automatic, a few inches of lift, and 15x7 wheels with say, 30x9.5 tires. No crazy rock crawling, just a better view of what's going on.

Buick Century "Outback" Wagon? :D Hey, Audi and Volvo did it, why not GM? Too bad the first year of the Outback lift was also the final year of the A-body.

CamoDeafie
11-21-2010, 06:38 PM
or a gm version of the amc eagle wagons ;)

white89euro
11-22-2010, 04:34 AM
How come no one digs up MY old posts? I feel neglected.
George

lackneramanda
11-29-2011, 01:19 AM
My '96 lacks the little rear window louvers (http://www.carparts.com/Rear-Window-Louvers/600023069.car), a shame as I really do like them. Not just from a styling perspective, but they do improve visibility slightly.

Plus, the black plastic is worn and faded on mine. :(

Regarding the necroposting, it's fine by me. On smaller forums like this, it isn't really an issue, and is often more funny than anything else. I've caught myself a couple times responding to "related" threads from 2007.

I have a rear window louver and I was trying to get some advice bc I wanna spray paint it it's made of abs plastic. Think it'll work?

RIPBARNBURNER
11-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Since it's brought up again, I would like to clarify, if only to project my car-snobbery unto others. Those windows are quarter-windows, or quarter-glass. An opera window is what you'd find on a 77 Lincoln, or a '56 T-bird:

http://automotivemileposts.com/files/mark51978djegoldprofilenight.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2715/4088816056_3abfbc1cc3_z.jpg

We now return to your regularly scheduled thread-gramming.

Electra_T_Type
11-29-2011, 02:42 PM
Man how I <3 70's Lincoln, I want one again bad

RIPBARNBURNER
11-29-2011, 02:46 PM
Man how I <3 70's Lincoln, I want one again bad

Same here. True class.