PDA

View Full Version : Engine Swap Needs...?

bubblebob88
08-05-2008, 04:58 AM
What all would I need, I'm looking at a Pontiac 3800 supercharged engine, but then a buddy if mine siggested I may have to use another computer and possibly other parts, any off the tops of anyone's head? I think it'd be a mean engine to drop in a Cutty.

Pontiac6ksteawd
08-05-2008, 06:57 AM
Skalor is your best bet for a person to talk to about this swap, as he has done it befor. Also the fiero forums, and www.grandprixforums.com

mrrsx2006
08-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Doing a motor swap isn't a joke. I would look into it more before attempting it. It can lead to a headache you don't even want to get into!

SCREECH
08-05-2008, 09:17 AM
Doing a motor swap isn't a joke. I would look into it more before attempting it. It can lead to a headache you don't even want to get into!

While this CAN be true, if you are taking a whole drivetrain with wiring and ECM/PCM and installing it as an assembly, then aside from attaching the wiring to your car and tying it in at the appropriate locations, your biggest worry is getting the components to fit. Thankfully the A-body platform was offered with engines such as the 3.8L and 3300 V6 engines. These engines have similarities to the 3800 supercharged engines that were avialable on larger platforms starting in the early '90s.

bubblebob88, there are specific things you will need to do when performing the swap, but these will depend on what actual engine/transaxle you end up using, and what vehicle they were originally installed in. You will have to consider things such as driveaxles and engine and transaxle mounts in order to successfully mount the assembly between your fenders. It would be best to have a factory service manual FSM available for both your A-body AND the vehicle from which you are obtaining the donor drivetrain. This way you will have the wiring and schematics available for both applications and you will have the most chance of successfully mating wiring of the two together.

bubblebob88
08-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Thanks guys, I have found someone at a local shop too that has done similar swaps and is helping me, I thought there might be a realistic change since like mentioned before. I don't know if I just wanna super/turbo change my 3300 or get the 3800, thanks guys!

dcjredline
08-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Just a tiny point that is a BUICK engine not a Pontiac. It may be in a Pontiac but it is a Buick.

bubblebob88
08-06-2008, 04:10 PM
thats what i meant, "from" a pontiac, my buddy is checking out a 3800 right now but I think its got a lot of miles on it....