PDA

View Full Version : 3300 ideas

CamoDeafie
09-08-2008, 11:28 AM
saw a few threads on the topic of building a 3300, but theyre OLD, and i dont want to necro.

anyways...Bruno has a 3.3L 3300 v6 in him, and i read that its a de-stroked or de-bored version of the 3.8 buick motor, and I wonder with the shorter stroke, if i were to add a custom built turbo to it, what other mods would i need to do to make sure i dont accidentally grenade the motor? right now, it is stock, and running a little rough, but has been known to not want to start occasionally, which is because of the apparent junkyard-sourced ignition module's chopped and spliced wiring (i will take pics of the stuff during the day) and sometimes the wires lose spark, sometimes it doesnt..most times its fine, but it does it often enough to be annoying.
would headers, porting job, maybe a cam, help me out with the basic build before i find a turbo off a tractor or similar and build one myself? (thinking to custom make my own turbo set up)

Jr's3800
09-08-2008, 10:14 PM
It is a slightly smaller bore, and a little bit of a shorter stroke... Also making it a short deck motor...

But it is 9.0 : 1 Compression as opposed to the 3800's 8.5 : 1 compression...

Also these engines use a Pressed wrist pin as opposed to a Floating Pin of the SC engines.. Beefier rods, and better pistons...

If you are going to boost the motor I'd say you'd want to consider the internals.. It may almost be simpler to go right to a Supercharged 3800 or 3800 Series II, especially if you want to drop a turbo on it..

cutlassburnin
09-09-2008, 12:02 AM
how close are the camshafts between the 3.3 and the 3.8? anyone know?

brp2z
09-09-2008, 06:33 AM
on this topic

i also have a 3300
engine swap isnt an option
i want to keep the 3300 and not spend too much

what ideas do yall have on getting closer to the 200 hp range
nothing extreme just a little more oomph lol
plus the transmission just doesnt feel like it would take too much power

Jr's3800
09-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Well for one thing If I remember right, you can get a 1.8 Roller rocker that should work on the engine... The 3300 I believe has the larger rocker arm bolts...

But with the 9.0 : 1 compression, the Piston will have a shorter dish, the only question is, is there enough room to push the valve open .459( more or less .460 lift )

The rockers may be good for 15 Hp or so... But you could also take a little time and port match the intake manifold to the heads...

These are stock rockers with a roller pivot on my L27 3800 Tuned Port...http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/Jr3800/1995%20Pontiac%20Transport/Transport18Rockerinstall005.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/Jr3800/1995%20Pontiac%20Transport/Transport18Rockerinstall001.jpg

These are the Yella Terra 1.8 Roller Tip Roller Rockers
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/Jr3800/1995%20Pontiac%20Transport/Transport18Rockerinstall013.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/Jr3800/1995%20Pontiac%20Transport/Transport18Rockerinstall010.jpg

This woke the van up and gave it better mid range power... Its not a huge difference but you'd know it right away...

This is one of the things you can do to get more out of these motors.. Just have to know what studs are used for the rockers..

dagr8tim
09-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Well for one thing If I remember right, you can get a 1.8 Roller rocker that should work on the engine... The 3300 I believe has the larger rocker arm bolts...

But with the 9.0 : 1 compression, the Piston will have a shorter dish, the only question is, is there enough room to push the valve open .459( more or less .460 lift )

The rockers may be good for 15 Hp or so... But you could also take a little time and port match the intake manifold to the heads...

This woke the van up and gave it better mid range power... Its not a huge difference but you'd know it right away...

This is one of the things you can do to get more out of these motors.. Just have to know what studs are used for the rockers..

Do you happen to have a part number of a donor source for the rockers? Also, how hard is it to get to the back side of the engine to change them?

Jr's3800
09-09-2008, 06:52 PM
ZZPerformance Has them but they are not listed on the site... You'd have to drop them an E-Mail.... You will need to know the size of the Rocker stud as well..

Intense-Racing has them as well, I forget if they have them in stock tho.. And again you'd have to know the rocker stud size..

I do not have the part number at current.. But may be able to find it later...

A Pic of them
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/Jr3800/3800%20L27/SeriesIrockers003.jpg

CamoDeafie
09-09-2008, 07:21 PM
Hmmm I'll have to look it up :D would it also benefit Bruno to have his engine blueprinted and opened up a little via porting job and maybe work on headers? From what you guys are saying, its gonna be a difficulty to turbocharge the 3.3 right?

brp2z
09-09-2008, 07:32 PM
i dont know how hard it would be to turbo
its going to have to be done custom
but the real issue is dependability
the 3300 its built for it
you could get 5-6 psi and have good results
but the transmission wont handl it

its just not a 300hp engine without changing the rotation assembly for a forged setup
which is too expensive

i just want a little edge
i can eat ricers for the most part
but occasionally i get burnt by a nice honda with a manual

cutlassburnin
09-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Nice..a mod i wont have to pull the motor for.

bubblebob88
09-09-2008, 10:38 PM
My Cuttlass is Bruno too lol, anyways...the rockers look sweet. I cant wait.

dagr8tim
09-09-2008, 10:54 PM
It seems I'm going to start doing more work to my cutlass than I originally figured.

Jr's3800
09-10-2008, 12:15 AM
First I don't want to lead you guys down the wrong path... I want you to make sure that these rockers will work for you...

Now with that said, I believe that the 3800 Heads and the 3300 heads are one in the same.. You should be able to bolt a 3800 head to the 3300 block, and after a certain year I believe the 3300 actually used the 3800 head... So again I believe that both the 3300 and 3800 heads are one in the same.. So these rockers should work..

Now on the 3800 L27 Tuned port you only want to go 1.8 and too much further will result in piston kissing iirc.. we have a few 3800 series I engines running the 1.8 rockers and so far with good results... We are all pleased with the rockers...

Also remember that the Buick 3300-3800 is not a 0 deck motor, the piston crown comes a hair above the top of the deck..

I would agree that the motor will most likely handle 4-5 Psi... Much more and you do push the limits of the bottom end.. If this was a floating wrist pin design with beefier rods like the Series I 3800 Supercharged you could get away with a good bit more..

If it is found that you can run these rockers I think you guys would have decent gains, as you have a shorter stroke than a 3800, and a shorter deck making for a quicker moving rotating assembly, as well as the 9.0 : 1 compression... I think GM underrated the 3300 V6 a bit...

One of the things you can do is to weld the stock Exhaust Tubular Manifolds on the outside and port on the inside, also check the point inside the connection to the down pipe... In the past some have found some slight restrictions there...

So if you are going in a little ways there are things you can do to get more out of the motor... I think with some work here and there you could go from 160 HP to 180HP and gain some torque while you are at it..

Even with the 95 Transport, when I rebuilt the Trans I went with an overall gear ratio of 2.97 as I knew I would be running a Ported lower intake and the 1.8 rockers... I figured the gains I would get would allow me to run the taller 2.97 gears as opposed to the 3.06 that was stock to it and have the van feel the same if not better..

I do hope that these rockers will work for you guys, because if it does it will make you happy...:cheers:

cutlassburnin
09-10-2008, 01:18 AM
thanks alot for the info man. Maybe after i get some new work and everything ready with the baby we'll see how deep into blue hair i can get. Im eventually looking for 200hp at the wheels.

Buick_powa
09-10-2008, 02:35 AM
lookin gof even more with my twin turbo setup! (yes twin turbo) you'll see thi smaybe someday! (all this on a 3300

SCREECH
09-10-2008, 07:01 PM
Jr's3800 (http://www.a-body.net/forums/member.php?u=84), you're saying that on an L27 the 1.8 rockers are for sure a safe swap? I've got a '92 TP and wouldn't mind waking the engine up a bit - I've got to get into the rocker covers as the rear is leaking pretty good, so perhaps swapping the rockers and not even bothering pulling the intake might be a decent enough swap - depending on the price of the rockers. Do you recall what you paid for them?

Jr's3800
09-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Jr's3800 (http://www.a-body.net/forums/member.php?u=84), you're saying that on an L27 the 1.8 rockers are for sure a safe swap? I've got a '92 TP and wouldn't mind waking the engine up a bit - I've got to get into the rocker covers as the rear is leaking pretty good, so perhaps swapping the rockers and not even bothering pulling the intake might be a decent enough swap - depending on the price of the rockers. Do you recall what you paid for them?

Your transport would have the larger Rocker bolts, Mine has the smaller rocker bolts.. But you should be able to get a set of rockers for it..

I am currently running the 1.8 rockers on it now... Drove it all day today... Must have done a couple hundred miles in it today.... Took $55 to fill it back up...LMAO..

And its on stock lifters and push rods...

The rockers run $370-$400 iirc...