PDA

View Full Version : OT: The Turbo Honda - What a piece of.... engineering?

turbokinetic
09-10-2008, 11:04 PM
Some of us may have seen this already but it was just too good to pass up! Anyway... What were they thinking / smoking / drinking when they built this atrocious contraption?!?! The frightening part is it appears to be functional!
David

http://68.209.87.173/Temp/hondaturbo.jpg

dagr8tim
09-10-2008, 11:44 PM
I've seen that pic before. I'm not so sure it's functional.

turbokinetic
09-10-2008, 11:57 PM
I would like to read the story on that car - it is bound to be a good one!
David

The Mad Hatter
09-11-2008, 12:48 AM
Wow....
Yet another reason to add the word "ricer" to the dictionary definition of dopey.

cutlassburnin
09-11-2008, 12:57 AM
im not all that bias on cars..if its a good one and runs well i like it.

but jesus...why go HEYY I HAVE A TURBO!! like that? I think a sticker and a big intercooler woulda got the point across.

Techfizzle
09-11-2008, 12:58 AM
could a guy add one to a tech4? Im not asking this as a stupid question, but a hypothetical one

CieraSL92
09-11-2008, 01:35 AM
could a guy add one to a tech4? Im not asking this as a stupid question, but a hypothetical one

Absolutely! If I recall, I think there were even turbo kits for that underpowered pos!

The crank/was/is too weak for it though-so people say.

Techfizzle
09-11-2008, 01:58 AM
underpowered pos!
ba! Ever here my rev it up? that will beet a 3.5 any day.

turbokinetic
09-11-2008, 02:00 AM

Hypothetically - it can definately be done.

Realistically - it can be done if done carefully. Here are some off the top of my head points...

TBI injection engine (instead of multiport) would increase difficulty of a turbo system. This due to throttle shaft fuel leaks, sealing of wire harenss and bonnet, fuel pump limitations.

Has 125C transmission - will be limiting factor.

Has a speed-density ECM so tuning the beast would be easy (with proper equipment).

It is an inline engine (not a V6 or V8) so this would greatly simplify your system fabrication.

Is the crank strong enough? Depends on how hard you push it. Under 10 PSI, it should be fine. 15 PSI at redline - don't even go there. The 125C transmission will slip before the crank twists in two!

It would be interesting to see what it could do turbocharged. It would be quicker than the "average car on the road" I bet.

Just my ideas!
David

CamoDeafie
09-11-2008, 03:03 AM
for a Pontiac Iron Duke based motor, try your ARCA or dirt track race shops, i think they built them based on the Super DUty 2.7 4 cyls with double 4bbl carbs and lots of goodies....