PDA

View Full Version : All right, how the &%^$ do you...

The Mad Hatter
10-04-2008, 09:26 PM
Get the dash trim panel off? I've managed to get it loose at all points except for the headlight switch and the cigarette lighter. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get those 2 pieces disconnected from the trim piece. WHO DESIGNED THIS PIECE?? :rant: I need it in one piece cause i have to reuse it. All help is appreciated!

Tonglebeak
10-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Did you take off the steering column trim?

The Mad Hatter
10-04-2008, 10:12 PM
If you mean the bottom piece under the steering column (has fuse panel in it), then yes, i removed that.

Tonglebeak
10-04-2008, 10:28 PM
Crap, I'm thinking of my ciera. What do you have?

And the piece I was referring to (if it's on yours) is actually above the steering column, between it and the instrument cluster. Looks like a shirt collar.

mickstan_VR
10-04-2008, 10:38 PM
You will need to unscrew the cig lighter from the backside after you get it unplugged. The headlite switch is held in from the front side, use some needle nose pliers, partially opened, to unscrew the ring. The knob itself is held on to the shaft with a little metal "tang", it should pretty much just pull off.

The Mad Hatter
10-04-2008, 11:46 PM
Ok, so the cig lighter unscrews from the back. i'll try that.

As for the HL switch, there is a "nut" behind the trim panel. Is this what i unscrew while i have pliers in the switch from the front (i've already removed the shaft)?

Tongle, i've got an 86 Celeb. The piece that i think you are talking about is the piece i'm trying to remove. Its the trim piece that runs the length of the dash and is basically the radio bezel, A/C switch bezel, etc

86euro
10-04-2008, 11:51 PM
You don't really need to remove the shaft, just the headlight knob. Then, behind the knob, there is a plastic retainer that can be unscrewed using the two flat spots.

The Mad Hatter
10-05-2008, 12:07 AM
All right, got it out, in one piece. Much thanks you guys! The project continues...

mickstan_VR
10-05-2008, 05:40 AM
cool, glad ya got it out.