PDA

View Full Version : got a minor problem?

boss_brougham
10-25-2008, 04:39 AM
ok, so im not sure how to fix this problem (duh otherwise i wouldnt be posting here), but wha it is is, when i turn the headlights on (low beam/high beam) the light on the radio doesnt light up. not making a real big fuss about it, but would be nice to see what radio station im on sometimes. so anyone knowing how to fix this minor problem? could it be a fuse or the computer? your help is highly appreciated. thanks, nate.

Prospeeder
10-25-2008, 03:45 PM
it may be the backlighting bulb on the stereo is out. You would need to pull the stereo, and you should easily figure out how to pull the plastic face off, and you probably have a solder a new bulb in. not just a push and pull type.

boss_brougham
10-25-2008, 05:27 PM
ok. But When the headlights are not on at all, the radio light works... thats still weird how it does that, but ill do what you said. Thanks Prospeeder.

86euro
10-26-2008, 12:40 AM
That will sometimes happen when a different year radio is installed. It's happened to me a few times even though the connectors are the same.

boss_brougham
10-26-2008, 06:08 AM
I wouldnt even know if this radio is of a different year than the car...

SCREECH
10-26-2008, 06:51 AM
The radio, as you may know, has a wire going to it from the parking light circuit. When the parking lights are on, the radio is supposed to dim, not go out altogether. It is possible that the electronics in the radio are failing if it goes out altogether when it's just supposed to dim.

CieraSL92
10-26-2008, 04:49 PM
The radio, as you may know, has a wire going to it from the parking light circuit. When the parking lights are on, the radio is supposed to dim, not go out altogether. It is possible that the electronics in the radio are failing if it goes out altogether when it's just supposed to dim.

It's also supposed to dim brighter or darker based on the dimmer switch position, maybe a lack of continuity all together would make it go dark? That's what mine does if I have the dimmer switch all the way down and the headlamps on.

86euro
10-26-2008, 05:24 PM
My only point was that I have taken a known working radio from one car, installed it in another and had the described problem, then put it back in the original car and it worked correctly.
It has not been in one specific model or year either. The cars I remember are:
'91 S10
'93 Lumina
'93 Lumina w/factory Bose
'94 Beretta
-these were the receiving vehicles

Prospeeder
10-27-2008, 04:13 AM
i had a CD player from a 2000 Grand prix and it worked perfect, dimmed perfectly and the dimmer switch even dimmed it dark or bright. i think most gm stereos interchange,

boss_brougham
10-27-2008, 06:44 AM
there could als be something wrong with the radio, cause sometimes when a song on the radio is playing, itll fade out and what sounds like a crackle and than itll go back to good sound. this usually happens when im turning, or just went over a little bump on the road, or by stop and go lights. 1 more thing, i put a tape in the tape deck 1 day, didnt play, and when i took it out, it felt warm.

ibhwrd2
10-27-2008, 12:19 PM
Not sure about the light thing but on the subject of the warm tape...That probably has nothing to do with it. All three of my A-bodies have had tape decks and the tape always comes out warm, even when they are functioning properly.

boss_brougham
10-27-2008, 09:10 PM
but is it not supposed to play too?

CieraSL92
10-27-2008, 09:24 PM
but is it not supposed to play too?
a properly working deck will actually play the tapes yes.

CieraSL92
10-27-2008, 09:26 PM
Ok well, nobody mentioned it but I'd get a wiring diagram and see which wire is 12v illumination and 12v illum signal (i think thats what its referred to as) and see what your not getting.

DroppdGT
11-28-2008, 08:46 PM
Hello to all, it's good to be back!

ok, so im not sure how to fix this problem (duh otherwise i wouldnt be posting here), but wha it is is, when i turn the headlights on (low beam/high beam) the light on the radio doesnt light up. not making a real big fuss about it, but would be nice to see what radio station im on sometimes. so anyone knowing how to fix this minor problem? could it be a fuse or the computer? your help is highly appreciated. thanks, nate.

Did you try checking your dimmer switch? There is a wire that connects specifically from the dimmer switch to the radio.

a1veedubber
11-29-2008, 05:38 AM
That will sometimes happen when a different year radio is installed. It's happened to me a few times even though the connectors are the same.

Some Delco decks have an extra connector that sits far away from the regular one that controls the dimming circuit. The problem he is describing with the dimmer is the exact thing that will happen if one of these decks is put into a car that didnt originally use the extra plug. I have a picture of it on my camera back at my storage unit.....I will post it here tomorrow!

FWIW, I usually find these oddball decks in Luminas.

edit: and I am talking about the newer style plugged Delco's, not the old ones that ALL had an extra connector for the dimmer!

all4bufort
11-30-2008, 06:50 PM
Replace the whole lightswitch, it's prolly burnt up a little, used to happen all the time.

CieraSL92
11-30-2008, 10:37 PM
Replace the whole lightswitch, it's prolly burnt up a little, used to happen all the time.

It wouldn't be a bad idea, I got mine from the junkyard for like $8, really easy to replace. My problem was the headlamps going out after they'd been on for awhile, could turn them on and off and they'd stay on for a nother five or so minutes.

Notice your from boston! I'm four/five miles north of you in Malden.

buickcenturycoldairintake
12-15-2008, 05:11 PM
i dont know if someone suggested this but i would say its the alternator i had some what of a similar problem i dont know where you live but autozone will test the altanator for you