PDA

View Full Version : When to tell the tranny is slipping and needs a tune up?

boss_brougham
11-06-2008, 07:59 AM
Just wondering.

notsoslimshady76
11-06-2008, 05:09 PM
If you feel the engine revving, but the car doesn't move any faster.

Or another way to describe....

It will feel like you're spinning your wheels in the rain. You give it gas, but the car doesn't really go anywhere

LordDurock
11-06-2008, 06:39 PM
shutering can happen on trany with worn clutch packs, sliping in one or more gears can happen. just remember to flush you trany every 80,000 miles or so, and if you see debrie in the oil something is up.
also auto trany can drain back this is a sign of ware, drain back show up on starting after lettign the trany sit and will look like slipage tell the system get fulled with fuild.

idk that the info i gather over the years

boss_brougham
11-07-2008, 12:07 AM
What notsoslimshady76 said, it was down pouring today, so, at a stop light, I give it gas, yes the wheells spun a lil before the car actually went anywhere. But isint that just the ground being so slick and maybe slippery cause of the rain? You said if its LIKE being in the rain... but no, when its not raining, dry day whatever, it goes just fine, but when it shifts gears, it seems kinda loud, which is at 20-25 mph by the way. and the 2nd gear shifting is around 30-35 mph sounds a lil loud, but than again its an 86 olds... so maybe cause its an older car?

Zaloryan
11-07-2008, 01:01 AM
It's like having your engine doing 3500 RPM when you're only traveling 35mph.

LordDurock
11-07-2008, 02:35 AM
thisi s on a maunal car but this is and experm of what you car whould be doing to some part if you have a you auto trany sliping, the hard shifting sound like a tv calbe to me

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/new-clutch-slipping_157853.htm

notsoslimshady76
11-07-2008, 12:07 PM
What notsoslimshady76 said, it was down pouring today, so, at a stop light, I give it gas, yes the wheells spun a lil before the car actually went anywhere. But isint that just the ground being so slick and maybe slippery cause of the rain? You said if its LIKE being in the rain... but no, when its not raining, dry day whatever, it goes just fine, but when it shifts gears, it seems kinda loud, which is at 20-25 mph by the way. and the 2nd gear shifting is around 30-35 mph sounds a lil loud, but than again its an 86 olds... so maybe cause its an older car?

Does it WHINE? Or is it more of a bang? And my other description would happen in dry weather too, if the transmission is slipping

boss_brougham
11-07-2008, 08:26 PM
whine?... ehhh i suppose but its more of a loud groan. NO BANG. it just seems louder when shifting gears, but after that its back as it should be.

Prospeeder
11-08-2008, 04:17 PM
if ur trannys slipping, no ammount of tune up so to speak will save it, it would be too far gone, trans fluid changed are preventative maintenence, not wait for somting to be wrong then do it. 30-50k for pan drop and filter change and it will last forever. You dont wait for your engine to start knocking and sieze up to change the oil right?

boss_brougham
11-09-2008, 12:46 AM
well the tranny fluid was changed couple months ago, apparently it was DARK, pitch black even. and the oil was changed as well a couple months ago. But see, we bought this car 2 years ago, and september i think it was, was when i got a new title on it and started fixing up on it. New alternator, battery, starter solenoid, gas line, brake line, and even headlights. Put on 3000+ miles ever since. But the oil is good right now. Its good on oil. (=

Jr's3800
11-09-2008, 08:52 PM
If the fluid was that dark, the clutch packs are cooked... This could have been caused by slip or even a weak pump not lubricating the internals of the trans properly.. Its even possible that the trans could have overheated in a bad way and could have did some damage to the pump...

In any event Fluid thats almost black is never a good thing..