PDA

View Full Version : Making your "Security" lite flash

mickstan_VR
11-08-2008, 06:06 AM
This isn't really a performance mod, but its still a mod.

I finally figured out how to get the "security" lite in the dash of my VR to work. If you don't already know, there is a green security warning lite in the dash of the Celebrities. They were never utilized as no Celebrities were offered with the factory alarm systems. BUT, if you could get it to work, it might be a decent theft deterent.

The goal is to get it to flash while the engine is off, and turn off while the engine is running. There is no easy way to get it to work thru the cars ecm, which is how it is supposed to function. And there are several ways to get it work with relays and stuff connected to the ignition system. I found an easier way. I cheated.

I found this little electronics kit from a German website called Velleman. I could see one of thier kits was a "car alarm simulator", part number MK126 http://www.vellemanusa.com/us/enu/product/view/?id=351130 . So I clicked around thier site, checked it out, and found a list of US distributors. One of them was 20 mins. from my work. So I called them and ordered the kit. I picked it up this afternoon for a total of 10 bucks with an additional green led.

It was a kit so I had to solder stuff to a little board, but it works great, and took about an hour and 2 bud lights to put the kit itself together. It has only 2 wires to hook up. One to the always hot terminal in the fuse panel, and one to ground. Thats it. It senses voltage rise or drop in the system. Turn the car off, and the led flashes. Start the car and it stops flashing. Totally simple.

The extra led I bought(its green, cuz the security panel on the dash is green) fits into the stock 194 bulb holder for the for the back of the dash! Just put an extra hole in it for 2 wires to come thru for the led leads and twist it into place like a standard bulb.

And there it is. It flashes 4 times rapidly then stops for 4 seconds, then repeats. And the green led is just bright enough. You can read "Security" when it flashes. But its not glaringly bright. It looks correct. And since its an led, it could run for years off of a 12 volt car battery without killing it.

I took photos of the assembly and I think I'm gonna do a how-to in Dreamweaver and put it up on the eurosportvr website this weekend. I dont actually have it in the car just yet. I used a spare dash from the original VR for the testing. Actual installation should follow this weekend.

notsoslimshady76
11-08-2008, 02:06 PM
cool!

mickstan_VR
11-09-2008, 04:17 AM
Got it in the car today. The dash in not back together yet, as I have to put another radio in, but it works! Install was no harder than changing out your dash bulbs and connecting 2 additional wires. The positive went to an available BAT terminal in the fuse box, and the negative went to a close-by ground. I took a little extra time and made a little plexiglass box to house it in. I'll get the pics up sometime tomorrow.

dagr8tim
11-09-2008, 01:00 PM
Nice, I can't wait for the pics.

mickstan_VR
11-13-2008, 02:04 AM
OK, heres the link: http://www.eurosportvr.com/mods/securitylite/index.html , and I put a link to in on the homepage also.

steponmebbbboom
11-15-2008, 10:57 PM
are you planning on using the LED bulbs anywhere else in your dash?

Zaloryan
11-16-2008, 04:40 AM
That's really nifty Mickstan, I may get a kit myself!

86euro
11-16-2008, 03:36 PM
I just have one question. Why not use an original bulb and utilize the factory printed circuit and connector? Will the kit only work with an LED bulb?

OK, so I had two questions, lol.

dagr8tim
11-16-2008, 06:15 PM
I just have one question. Why not use an original bulb and utilize the factory printed circuit and connector? Will the kit only work with an LED bulb?

OK, so I had two questions, lol.

You could. You'd just have to splice your power wire to the printed circuit board.

It may work with a bulb. Some LED's need resistors because 12 VDC will burn out the LED.

I was discussing this project with an electronics geek friend. He basically gave me a list of parts you could get at Radio Shack to build your own. IIRC, it was about $5 worth of parts or less.

mickstan_VR
11-17-2008, 01:31 AM
It may work with a bulb. Some LED's need resistors because 12 VDC will burn out the LED

I would agree with that. I just did it this way because at the end of the day this seemed much simpler and it hardly draws any curret whatsoever with the led.

are you planning on using the LED bulbs anywhere else in your dash?

no plans for that. yet.

Thanks for the kudos! I thought everyone would get a kick out of it. Glad you enjoy it.

mickstan_VR
11-18-2008, 12:33 AM
Heres one step better! http://www.electronickits.com/kit/complete/Automotive/VEK3504.htm

87Cutlass Ciera
11-18-2008, 02:36 AM
It's unfortunate the Cutlass Ciera's didn't have a "security" spot in the cluster, that would be pretty neat.

SCREECH
11-21-2008, 03:27 PM
I first noticed all the extra lights in the Celeb dash when I disassembled my first Celeb quite a few years ago. This prompted me to look more closely at other clusters I have dealt with since then. They actually don't use very many of those lights across the top in some applications! The two styles of Ciera clusters I have (pre '89 and '89+, both full gauge clusters) have lights across the top of them, NONE of which are used! they actually have a socket opening much smaller than the standard twist in socket for a 194 bulb. I don't know if anyone knows what I'm talking about with this, but I would love to find the correct sockets and bulbs for these lights. The '89+ cluster has an ABS light in it (although it would be another 5 years before the cars actually had ABS!) since I'm installing it in my '89 Ciera.

Another interesting, related point - the Century T-Type/GS cluster with the tach that I sent to LordDurock has lights for a DIESEL setup across the top of it (WAIT, WATER IN FUEL, etc), as most pre '89 clusters I've seen do. That's one thing that I'd like to document for posting on my website at some point.

skalor
11-21-2008, 08:12 PM
It's unfortunate the Cutlass Ciera's didn't have a "security" spot in the cluster, that would be pretty neat.
I thought they did?? I'll have to look into it when I get home. If I didn't have 10 other things going on the my Ciera and if it has a 'security' light, I would seriously getting that kit since it's so cheap.

86euro
11-21-2008, 11:20 PM
I first noticed all the extra lights in the Celeb dash when I disassembled my first Celeb quite a few years ago. This prompted me to look more closely at other clusters I have dealt with since then. They actually don't use very many of those lights across the top in some applications! The two styles of Ciera clusters I have (pre '89 and '89+, both full gauge clusters) have lights across the top of them, NONE of which are used! they actually have a socket opening much smaller than the standard twist in socket for a 194 bulb. I don't know if anyone knows what I'm talking about with this, but I would love to find the correct sockets and bulbs for these lights. The '89+ cluster has an ABS light in it (although it would be another 5 years before the cars actually had ABS!) since I'm installing it in my '89 Ciera.

Another interesting, related point - the Century T-Type/GS cluster with the tach that I sent to LordDurock has lights for a DIESEL setup across the top of it (WAIT, WATER IN FUEL, etc), as most pre '89 clusters I've seen do. That's one thing that I'd like to document for posting on my website at some point.

The smaller socket is fairly common. I just installed the cluster from a '92 Sonoma GT in my S-10 and it used them. Now that I think about it, I believe the original cluster did too. Other than the boost gauge, the Sonoma GT cluster is the same as a Syclone/Typhoon cluster and a Turbo Sunbird cluster. It would make sense that a common Sunbird cluster uses them, along with other GM's.

I remember seeing a diesel Century with a tach cluster for sale on craigslist once too.