PDA

View Full Version : Ashtrays goin bye bye

cutlassburnin
11-17-2008, 02:56 PM
So Ive decided on my next fiberglass project and Ive started getting into the design factor of it.

SO heres the idea, since neither me nor the girlfriend smoke and I dont allow smoking in the cutlass Im deleting the ashtray and in its place a new piece which will hold the radio in its place is going in, Im going to try my best to design the piece to pull the radio a tad bit closer to the driver so I wont have to lean forward to use it like I do now.

In the place of the radio is going a spot to fit my psp ( since thats where i keep all my music anyway). Its going to fit into the hole where the radio is now with a charger and the connection to the stereo built in. This will be as easy as making a mold of my psp ( without melting it :lol: ) and making a flat piece with a recess that it will fit in. Im going to use a deck install kit to anchor the piece in the hole. This will be a sweet mod cause Im not to keen on putting in dvd players and lcds in my car since that crap gets stolen often around here and my psp pretty much already does all ( also has a bad ass display for music!) that and itll be easily visible when its in place. Im actually a little excited about this one.:rock:

87Cutlass Ciera
11-17-2008, 06:51 PM
This does sound like a cool idea, I usually just use my Itrip and my Ipod when driving and most of the time if the Ipod is lying on the middle of the bench, it often slides down between the seats and then it's a pain in the ass trying to fish it back up to change a song, so I took one of my dummy vents out and attatched my alluminum Ipod case to it and then stuck it back in, so now I all I have to do is put my ipod in it. The chord for the Itrip fits itself nicely under the dash and the only thing that is visible, is the ipod, and the station selector/transmitter for the Itrip. It's pretty neat if I do say so myself!

cutlassburnin
11-18-2008, 03:20 AM
that does sound cool..i wish my psp was that small.

bubblebob88
11-18-2008, 03:52 AM
I was just thinking of mounting the tv idea i had in the ashtray area instead of making the center counsel, good luck, and keep us updated!

dagr8tim
11-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Can't wait for pics. I'm glad I got rid of my ashtray as it made the perfect mounting point for some accessories and my ham radio.