PDA

View Full Version : OT: automaker stuff

ochy38
12-02-2008, 11:52 PM
I personally like the way GM is today, they were finally getting their act back together i think. I like the idea of saturns, i always thought pontiacs were strong sellers, and i loved the fact that GM owned saab. big changes are on the horizon... hopefully GM makes it through because i always hoped the first brand new vehicle I ever bought would be a GM brand

http://www.leftlanenews.com/gm-to-streamline-brands-sell-saab-shrink-pontiac-close-or-sell-saturn.html

EDIT: yikes i was the 666th thread in this topic. spooky

86euro
12-03-2008, 02:03 AM
Wow, I hate the way GM vehicles are these days... and ford and Chrysler for that matter. There are still several things they are doing right, but just that much more that they are doing wrong. I'm sure though that my opinion is going to be way different than most new car buyers, since I work on them. I would be hard pressed to pick a brand new vehicle that I would be happy with owning. The styling of most newer cars just flat suck (they all copy everyone else's ugly design... how many new cars DON'T have triangle shaped taillights?) and everything is built very cheap and flimsy.:(

Prospeeder
12-03-2008, 03:40 AM
I think GMs new cars are amazing! I ride in toyotas and hondas, and they feel so cheap, i h ate how they look, and the interiors are nothing to brag about. The new GMs, i love the insides of them, not premium line plastics, but they are well fitted and put together, and dont feel quite so cheap. The seats are comfy, and the look of the new Gms, especially pontiacs and buicks look amazing! Im glad they are doing hybrid Full size's also, somebody needs to start off in that area, theres many poeple looking for SUV that can town,and get 20+ mpg with a v8

Pontiac6ksteawd
12-03-2008, 05:04 AM
Pontiac is on the chopping block
Saturn is on the chopping block
SAAB is on the chopping block
Hummer is on the chopping block

All for sale. Its only a matter of time befor the Pontiac I have come to love, and adore will be no more, and I will no longer buy GM. Which might suck. I was really wanting to get my hands on the new G8 ST.

What GM needs to do is turn Chevy into the the Economy market, with the Aveo, Cobalt, and the likes, while keeping the Corvette of course. Then turn Pontiac into the Sports car devision that it was always supposed to have been, buick into the affordable old geezer cars, Cadillac stays pretty much the same, and GMC sells trucks only. There is way to much cross-caniblezation in this company, and it needs to stop.

bubblebob88
12-03-2008, 05:25 AM
I think we need better warranties as well, too much going wrong with newer cars that just plain cost to much, american car companies have the worse warranties. its just a shame to see this recession and everything changing so quick

LordDurock
12-03-2008, 06:14 AM
Buick was so not and old gesser car. they always been about interny level luxury. or at lest in the past.

dont for get all the reather peppy a-body motor are buick designed ;)

bubblebob88
12-03-2008, 07:10 AM
Wait! My 3300 is a Buick engine?! Just joking...why am I still awake.

mickstan_VR
12-04-2008, 01:13 AM
Sounds like a good plan Brian. Lets see if the guys in Detroit can come up with something sensible like that.

Zaloryan
12-04-2008, 04:53 AM
I certainly like the new Malibu. I'd love to have an LTZ with the Cocoa/Cashmere interior...simply amazing! That and the new Pontiac G5 & Chevrolet Cobalt are catching my eye! Buy domestic, it certainly wouldn't hurt America's GNP. I personally think that American car warranties are better in comparison to competitors. For instance, GM has its 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty. For Toyota, Honda, and Nissan, their warranties end at 60,000/5 year for the powertrain. What if you rack up more than 10,000 miles a year? I certainly do, and that's only going to school, my job, and back home!

Jimbo
12-04-2008, 07:19 AM
Chrysler has a lifetime powertrain warranty dude, can't complain too much about that! I'll never buy new cars I don't think, I'm so used to driving and working on the older cars (82-96 coincidentally, this includes the big B bodies and full size pick up trucks from GM) that I'll probably never get something like an 06 Cobalt until it's 2030.

bubblebob88
12-04-2008, 01:13 PM
I guess I didn't do my research, just things recently from experiences. My mother in law had a 04 malibu with 35K on it, the transmission went out and wasn't covered, even tho GM was nice enough to go half and half, it was still $2K. Same with my friends 05 Ram with 72K, cept Dodge never helped him out. But I'm still a firm believer in buying American cars, just I like the older ones lol

dcjredline
12-04-2008, 01:49 PM
That is the same NIGHTMARE I have heard over and over and over and over and over (Is that enough of them?) __________ (Insert US automaker of choice) wont help me with a "warranty" claim. THATS CRAP!!! Why have some $(&#^*&^ warranty if you never stand behind it or there has to be a phone call to the HEAD dude in the US for customer service to get any action. And I am not talking just ENGINE and Trans replacement, I am talking little things too!!! They need to UN-#*($^# themselves or people wont buy from them anymore.

CieraSL92
12-04-2008, 04:38 PM
Chrysler has a lifetime powertrain warranty dude, can't complain too much about that!

Yeah, but 10 years and 190k miles later they'll wiggle out of it one way or the other.

BBrip84Oatsie95
12-04-2008, 05:15 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/world_news_america/7764066.stm

bubblebob88
12-04-2008, 05:28 PM
The car ports solution is simple: Me and my fiance both would be happy to give warm, loving homes to a couple unfortunate Mercedes.

dcjredline
12-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Yeah, but 10 years and 190k miles later they'll wiggle out of it one way or the other.

10 years TRY 2, most of the people on the Caliber board I used to be on had trans troubles and got shot down by Dodge. The TCM Transmission Control Module must not be part of the "drive train" :dunno: I would think it would be!! Especially at 2 years. I say F a new car warranty for the rate of depreciation on a new car you could rebuild our a-bodies 4 times!!!!

BBrip84Oatsie95
12-04-2008, 09:26 PM
My manager got a caravan and for a few K extra, got a BUMPER TO BUMPER Lifetime warranty...

Zaloryan
12-05-2008, 02:56 AM
What's to say that foreign automakers do any better at warranty coverage than United States automakers? Bumper to bumper warranties usually last 36,000 miles (GM's, Nissan's, Honda's, Toyota's, & Suzuki's). A plastic trim piece won't necessarily outlast an engine.

a1veedubber
12-05-2008, 02:59 AM
It's the stuff you guys are talking about here that caused us to buy our Kia. Honestly, GM has not built much that Ive been interested in since the early nineties. I like small cars, station wagons & vans. Gm does not really do any of those (decently) anymore save the Astra, and it was not being sold here yet when we bought our Spectra5 in December of '05.
Three years later and we hit 100k a week ago. Only one problem EVER, a busted CV boot at 65k. Dealer replaced it under warranty with no questions asked. And Kia supposedly has horrible service & quality problems!

mickstan_VR
12-05-2008, 03:27 AM
All of my "under warranty" experiences with Chevrolet have been a mess. They NEVER want to fix anything. Its like pulling teeth just to get them to look up a tsb on an issue. Once you walk into the service department and say "I think I got a warranty issue that needs to be looked at", the entire attitude changes. Everybody goes into defensive mode, and the run-around begins. I bought 2 brand new chevys in less than a year. The first cars I ever bought new. Overall the cars are OK, luckily, but the service left something to be desired. It just left a bad taste. If I can afford it, my next car will probably be a Honda, unless GM can improve a few things.

a1veedubber
12-05-2008, 03:32 AM
A lot of it depends on the dealer too. The Chevrolet dealer in the town I live in (1500 residents...a small farm community) has excellent service. But yes, generally, warranty service stinks. I know from personal experience that the technicians preforming it hate it too, because it pays the tech almost no hours. We used to joke around by bending over & calling it "Assuming the warranty position"!

Prospeeder
12-05-2008, 05:06 AM
If I can afford it, my next car will probably be a Honda, unless GM can improve a few things.

Gross, im sorry, but theres a reason honda dropped below GM at car quality and some reliablitly standards. The honda interiors in thier new cars are disgusting, cheap ass plastic, horrbile dash layout, digital gauges, horrilby underpowered 4 cylinders, and they made the CIVIC seem over weight, (my sister has a 2007 LX and im VERY disapointed in it) I would get a toyota before a honda, and i think toyotas are HORRIBLY bland.I think the american public has been brainwashed by car magazines paid off by forien companies. I find Gms, Fords, Kia, Hyundais, and Nissans to be MUCH nicer vehicles than toyotas and hondas. I mean Kia has gone SOOOOO far, wow, i would buy a kia or hyundai before a honda or toyota, sorry, count me out on that band wagon.

86euro
12-05-2008, 11:59 PM
I think the american public has been brainwashed by car magazines paid off by forien companies.

:cheers:

Agree 100%. Mark my words, in 10 years or so Honda and Toyota will be in the toilet. Honda and Toyota buyers are a breed of their own (generally speaking) and regular maintenance is always top priority. That's part of the reason they have a good reliability reputation. When everyone else (the current american car owners that abuse and don't maintain their vehicles) starts buying them is when the sh!t will hit the fan.

Pontiac6ksteawd
12-06-2008, 07:03 AM
Was at a car club meeting tonight, with a couple other UAW GM auto plant workers. And I hadnt thought about the whole scenario to this at all, until They brought up a couple points.

Firstly, its not the Automakers fault that they are going down this downward spiral. Car sales are down 4,000,000 (4 mil) sales this year when compared to the last 8 years. Do the math on that, 4 mil x roughly 20k a car = 80,000,000,000, or 80 bil dollars. And thats a low ball considering that most cars cost more than 20k per vehicle. And they are asking for a 35 bil loan to float the company until the economy comes back up? Sounds pretty decent off shoot to me.

Secondly, the automakers have been paying taxes on their plants, and their sales for over 100 years now. Lee Iocaca asked for a loan in the 80's and got it, why cant the automakers do the same thing now?

Thirdly, This economy can not support 18% of the american working population to be out of work in the next year. Their simply are not enuf jobs available to support this. Banks will close because of foreclosures and bankruptcys, wall-street will apsolutely go out of control with a dramatic plunge, etc etc.

I do not support the UAW, or teamsters. They are, in fact, making alot of these problems. They have finally offered to make concessions to float the automakers. This all needs to be considered. But they have alot more to give (like half their pay).

Pontiac6ksteawd
12-06-2008, 07:23 AM
Also, it isnt just the major manufactures that are suffering here. Toyota, Honda, BMW, Benz, and others. Toyota laid off their people here in the US plants. Subaru so far has been unaffected to a major degree. But then again, Subaru has always been a niche market.

a1veedubber
12-06-2008, 02:22 PM
Your points are quite valid. What isn't really being talked about is that ALL sales are down significantly. Also, several foreign makes have had some pretty serious quality issues lately *cough*Toyota*cough*. Another thing people don't really talk about is that a lot of their respective governments are doing a lot to support them.

For the record, I am not for bailouts of any kind for any industry. Sink or swim. (I am tempted to call Citibank & advise them that I wont be making any more house payments since I just gave them Billions to remain solvent)

I might be OK with a loan though, as long as its paid back & coupled with serious consessions by both the company & the UAW.

Pontiac6ksteawd
12-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Thats what the automakers are asking for. Not a bailout, a loan. Just like they gave Chrylser back in the 80's.

a1veedubber
12-07-2008, 02:44 PM
Thats what the automakers are asking for. Not a bailout, a loan. Just like they gave Chrylser back in the 80's.

When they flew down to DC the first time, they were looking for a handout. With all the negative press from the "Corporate jet" fiasco it has quickly been changed into a loan (from the Green cars fund no less!) to help it gain traction with the American people. Too bad the libs are already talking about immediately reversing this loan thing as soon as Obama gets in and turning it into a bailout. By the time this crap is all played out, the twenty dollar bill will be the new one dollar bill !