PDA

View Full Version : New Exhaust System! Video with Sound...

turbokinetic
12-18-2008, 01:55 AM
Well finally got the new exhaust system installed today. It is 3 inch from the turbo to the tailpipe. Has a single Flowmaster muffler in the stock muffler location.

It's a little louder than I had hoped for! It sounds mean, too! :rock:

Too bad it was raining so I couldn't do any real power testing or tuning.

Tell me what you think of the exhaust sound! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOPFIA3afV8)
Thanks,
David

bubblebob88
12-18-2008, 02:07 AM
That is just plain insane man! Awesome work, sounds mean! Can't wait to see more videos man!

LordDurock
12-18-2008, 04:15 AM
sounding good the end was starting to sound like my diesel idling lol

turbokinetic
12-18-2008, 02:06 PM
Thanks, guys! It is hard to record exhaust sound because it is a mix of frequencies that goes below the range you can hear, but all the frequencies together sound like .... wel.. a Flowmster exhaust. The microhone on a home movie camera is mainly designed to pick up voices.

The exhaust does sound like a diesel though - I think this may have to do with the turbine wheel being positioned in the exhaust.

I wish it were about 25% quieter but the smallest 3" muffler was all that could fit in the space alotted. I may put a glasspack in the center of the car between the flex joint and the first 90 degree bend over the axle.

Or I may just get used to it like it is.:kekeke: Until the neighbors complain enough...

The transmission has been sitting for years. It is not shifting out too consistently. When it shifts out like it is supposed to, the exhaust sound in the car is not bad. When it shifts late, and the engine "floats" at mid-RPM there is a loud 'droning' sound in the car.

I think this will work out as the transmission loosens up. It is a temporary transmission anyway. If it will hold up until I get 4T65EHD then it's job is done and I will rebuild it for a spare for my other car.

Jr's3800
12-18-2008, 06:57 PM
Thats sounds really good...

we actually love the Magnaflows and Flowmasters with the 3800's...LOL

I know in person the idle on the Buick has to be insane:rock:

87Cutlass Ciera
12-19-2008, 03:32 AM
I'd like to do something with the Duke to give it a little bit more of a meaner sound. What would anybody suggest doing to it. And I'm serious here.

cutlassburnin
12-19-2008, 03:23 PM
I replaced mine with a dynomax superturbo from the rear axle back...sounds almost like an 8 at idle, I love it. Still debating if i want to replace the cat.

QUESTION: would I be fine with clamping in a pipe in place of the cat or would that be too much of a risk with leaks under the cabin?

bubblebob88
12-19-2008, 03:32 PM
I wouldn't clamp, get it welded. My buddy have some aftermarket clamping exhaust parts and in the winter you could exhaust leaking at all the clamps lol

turbokinetic
12-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Either weld it, or use a total seal band clamp, such as a TorcTite band. As the clamp bolts draw the steel bars together, the stainless band stretches and conforms to the pipe forming a complete seal.

http://68.209.87.173/Temp/torctite.jpg

Search for "torctite exhaust clamp" in google or yahoo and you will find many suppliers.

David

Nexum
12-27-2008, 11:08 AM
Sounds great. I put a Flowmaster 40 series on my 6000, but it doesn't sound that good. :)

turbokinetic
12-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Sounds great. I put a Flowmaster 40 series on my 6000, but it doesn't sound that good. :)

I was mainly looking for the free-flowing charachteristics to allow the turbo engine to breathe, the sound is just a side benefit!

If you have ECM programming capabilities; slow the idle down to a little, and take 4 to 5° timing out of the main spark table in the idle RPM cells. It will have a deeper, bassier sound!

Neat thing about an ECM is you can adjust the idle parameters without disturbing any of the other operating areas of the engine.

You can make a 305 sound like a 454 at idle by tweaking the timing and idle speed! :rock:

The Buick engines always have a distinctive sound at idle. It is a large bore 90° block engine based on a design from the 1950's afterall!

Later,
David

skalor
12-27-2008, 03:40 PM
Flowmaster mufflers tend to have to have some pretty low cfm ratings which make them less than ideal for turbo setups. Personally, I recommend straight through perforated designs for a turbo exhaust. This type of muffler will have 2-3 times the cfm rating of a flowmaster of the same configuration.

lackneramanda
08-09-2011, 03:21 AM
Well finally got the new exhaust system (http://www.carparts.com/Heartthrob-Exhaust-Performance-Exhaust-Systems/4199999957-600022988.car) installed today. It is 3 inch from the turbo to the tailpipe. Has a single Flowmaster muffler in the stock muffler location.

Tell me what you think of the exhaust sound! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOPFIA3afV8)
Thanks,
David

i need a replacement backbox for my car and most probably the centre section too. There are some on ebay for my car but im not sure if they are the same fit etc.
Anyone got any ideas?

Supermanglide
08-15-2011, 06:03 AM
That is just plain insane man! Awesome work, seems mean! Can't wait around to determine an amazing offer more films man!

lackneramanda
05-02-2012, 04:10 AM
Well finally got the new exhaust system installed today. It is 3 inch from the turbo to the tailpipe. Has a single Flowmaster muffler in the stock muffler location.

Tell me what you think of the Maremont exhaust (http://www.carparts.com/Maremont-Exhaust-Emissions/4199999600-600022949.car) sound
Thanks,
David

Hey all, I'm installing a new Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust system and only have a 2 car garage to work with so I was seeking any hints or helpful tricks to use during installation! Any help will be great!

92buick_century
05-02-2012, 09:29 PM
i got a flowmaster delta 40 on my century, sounds better in person, but ive had people ask me if it has a v8 because of how it sounds haha

Exhaust Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXXLN3AdnPI)

Century7667
05-03-2012, 05:03 PM
I don't know what's in my '95 ( I'm the 2nd owner of that car), but it sounds like it has something like what the put on the Pontiac cars with the 3100. Really nice growl, very un-Buick-like! Not too loud though inside the cabin.

Ken T.