PDA

View Full Version : Rear suspension issue

I stole grandma's cutty
10-09-2007, 07:15 PM
:eek: ok so I saw something funny the other day near the rear suspension on the passenger side and took a look underneath. Apparently the rear spring, not the shock, rests on a metal plate welded to the rear axle and this plate is rusting out in the middle so it looks like a tin can that has been partially taken off and is just hanging there. So the spring is sorta poking through so that you can see the rubber cushion that rests between the spring and the metal plate. Anyway I was just wondering if anyone has encountered a similar problem and if so were they able to fix it. So far the car drives fine and you wouldn't even be able to tell except that it looks like something is hanging down towards the rear passenger side. Hope I dont have to scrap this car, its been pretty decent down the stretch.

I stole grandma's cutty
10-09-2007, 07:16 PM
lol I will now be riding my bicycle to the bank in order to prevent any further damage

notsoslimshady76
10-09-2007, 08:07 PM
If theres a welding shop around you I'm sure you could get something welded on there, but it might cost 100 or 200 :-/

LordDurock
10-09-2007, 10:27 PM
yea what slim said..........or if you cna weld do it your self but get a new plate.

86euro
10-10-2007, 12:44 AM
It may be cheaper and easier to replace the rear beam with a used one.

CieraSL92
10-11-2007, 04:18 AM
x2 What 86 said. Unless your rear axle is in good condition, and if one sides about to rust out it probably isn't-I'd go with used. You could tap it with a hammer and see if it's just surface rust, but if somethings hanging probably not.

I stole grandma's cutty
10-11-2007, 02:41 PM
yeah its probably just a matter of time until the drivers side of the rear beam does the same thing. Ill check around to see what the cost is for a used rear beam maybe I can find a donor car in the area cheaper lol. thanks everyone for the advice.

I stole grandma's cutty
10-11-2007, 03:48 PM
so I found the rear axle for 75 which is pretty cheap, I think I'll run out and get it. Now am I going to have to compress the springs and shocks and everything when I'm getting it back on?

LordDurock
10-11-2007, 05:41 PM
go ot autozone and ask for a cole string compresser

Slacker
10-11-2007, 06:50 PM
2nd that and in addition to what LordDurock said:

Autozone's rentals only require a deposit that gets fully refunded when you return it. I had a brake like flare tool for over a week and it didn't cost me a dime.:)

thebaron
10-11-2007, 07:26 PM
Change that Rubber bushing on the swing arm while you are at it!

My buddy lost a car when his rear axle came out while driving down the highway....

BBrip84Oatsie95
10-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Change that Rubber bushing on the swing arm while you are at it!

My buddy lost a car when his rear axle came out while driving down the highway....

That HAD to have been fun!:eek:

CieraSL92
10-14-2007, 06:18 AM
I was under the impression the springs just fall out after you unbolt the shocks and let the axle hang?

86euro
10-14-2007, 02:24 PM
I was under the impression the springs just fall out after you unbolt the shocks and let the axle hang?

Right, with the shocks fully extended there is almost no tension on the springs. Install the beam and support it with a floor jack. Raise it up enough to put the springs in, then just a tad more to hook up the shocks.

I stole grandma's cutty
10-29-2007, 01:44 PM
ok, so here is an update on what I actually ended up doing. I was able to find a welder who would just weld it back together for an even $100. I figured the difference was small enough to pay to have it done ($25). Its been a few weeks now and it seems to be fine :)