PDA

View Full Version : speed limiter

cutlassburnin
12-25-2008, 08:15 PM
So this things drivin me nutz a few times...I get to 105 or so and it shuts down. I havent done this since the beginning of the summer but still..would be nice to use the full potential of the car ya know? Whats the easiest fix?

Tonglebeak
12-25-2008, 08:19 PM
There's speed limiters on these things? The only limiter I was aware is a rev-limiter, that will you to 5500rpm :P

CieraSL92
12-25-2008, 09:04 PM
So this things drivin me nutz a few times...I get to 105 or so and it shuts down. I havent done this since the beginning of the summer but still..would be nice to use the full potential of the car ya know? Whats the easiest fix?

Dunno, I think that you and have the same ECM and I've pegged it at 110 and it never shutdown.

The Dark Side of Will
12-25-2008, 11:03 PM
There are some strange things like speed limiters that OEM's use sometimes and not others.

For example, in base model cars that do not ship with high-speed rated tires, OEM's will use an ECM calibration with a speed limiter at the tires' rated speed. Higher trim models may have identical power trains, but because they ship with higher rated tires, they will have a different chip calibration with a higher limiter or without the limiter.

Some Northstar Cadillacs are like this... 275 HP and the car's limited at 110 because of the cheap tires GM puts on it... on a Cadillac.

turbokinetic
12-26-2008, 03:56 AM
There are some strange things like speed limiters that OEM's use sometimes and not others.

For example, in base model cars that do not ship with high-speed rated tires, OEM's will use an ECM calibration with a speed limiter at the tires' rated speed. Higher trim models may have identical power trains, but because they ship with higher rated tires, they will have a different chip calibration with a higher limiter or without the limiter.

Some Northstar Cadillacs are like this... 275 HP and the car's limited at 110 because of the cheap tires GM puts on it... on a Cadillac.

X2 - and it can easily be programmed out. Most performance chips have the speed limiter disabled or set to 255 MPH.

You can also collect EPROM's from cars with same powertrain and sometimes you get one that has a high speed limiter.

Oh- the Northstar Cadillac I outran on the interstate today - DEFINATELY went faster than 110. :eek3:

David

The Dark Side of Will
12-26-2008, 12:59 PM
The 300 HP cars would ship with higher rated tires and probably wouldn't have speed limiters at all.

We'll have to try your luck against my Northstar Pontiac, then! :cheers:

bubblebob88
12-26-2008, 05:29 PM
With all these crazy builds, someone should start a new thread and plan a car meet, I really want to see turbokinetic and skalor's cieras! Maybe in the summer, and I should have my Ciera done well before then.

Prospeeder
12-26-2008, 09:52 PM
Uhh if your gonna do that make sure your tires are rated for it, blowing all 4 tires out at 120 prolly would not be the funnest experience.

turbokinetic
12-27-2008, 02:10 AM
The 300 HP cars would ship with higher rated tires and probably wouldn't have speed limiters at all.

We'll have to try your luck against my Northstar Pontiac, then! :cheers:

I've got to get the 4T65EHD transmission in before I do any serious racing. This trans I have now will break in a hurry!

Will, I looked on the Fiero forum but couldn't find a thread on your N* build. Would love to read about it if you could point me in the right direction. Did you keep the 4T80E transmission with the N*?

You definately have a weight advantage, and traction advantage being RWD.

I got a compliment on my engine setup while checking the oil at a gas station. Someone looked at it and said "So they DID put the turbo V6 in a FWD car afterall!" I had to do some real convincing that I had built the turbo system and it was not a factory turbo engine!

Later,
David

cutlassburnin
12-30-2008, 03:26 PM
Yea a meet would be awesome...i was talking to the girlfriend today about how badass it would be if everyone from the forum got together for a cruise..like I told her, " Imagine 50 cars like mine ripping down the interstate...wooping hondas and some of them chasing down sports cars."..She just rolled her eyes. lol

dcjredline
12-30-2008, 04:52 PM
50 What forum are you on? I dont see most of us "Ripping down the highway" either. That is just stupid.

notsoslimshady76
12-30-2008, 05:51 PM
50 What forum are you on? I dont see most of us "Ripping down the highway" either. That is just stupid.

I can barely get past 40 before the misfire slows me down :lol:

cutlassburnin
12-30-2008, 11:13 PM
I seem to win about half the races I get into..whats up with your guy's cars? lol

CieraSL92
12-30-2008, 11:54 PM
I seem to win about half the races I get into..whats up with your guy's cars? lol
x2, i don't race, but i'm certainly not puttering about like you guys are describing

edit: where's tonglebeak for some support here?!

Prospeeder
12-31-2008, 12:08 AM
hey iv blown the door off a few imports with my 6000, there always pissed afterwords

turbokinetic
12-31-2008, 01:13 AM
hey iv blown the door off a few imports with my 6000, there always pissed afterwords

:kekeke:hehe..... I'm not satisfied with them being "pissed." I try to leave them dazed and disoriented after they tangle with me.... :naughty:

bubblebob88
12-31-2008, 01:35 AM
Thank you turbokinetic for helping others understand lol, yeah I race around a bit...a lot. I cant help it ricers need to know they are slow!

dcjredline
12-31-2008, 03:12 AM
What I understand is having a 4 door sedan with 14" wheels on it is NOT a car to drive fast nor is something with a normally aspirated 4 or 6 cylinder in it FAST! Having access to a car that was made for speed makes me drive my STE like a normal car. I think there are only a couple cars on this board that would hang if not beat up on my Formula. I just see and use these cars as drivers, they ARE NOT FAST. But you all sound like some kid that came into AutoZone the other day and was telling his friend that worked there how fast and sweet his new car was. I looked outside to see what all the hub bub was about! ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A 2008 Hyundai Elantra!! I almost puked from laughing so hard.

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/2917/formula040508001mediumvn9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

bubblebob88
12-31-2008, 03:29 AM
I just like the thrill I guess, I never claimed my car being fast but when a little civic rolls up thinking they are so "Fast and Furious" I like to play around with them.

dcjredline
12-31-2008, 12:51 PM
I just like the thrill I guess, I never claimed my car being fast but when a little civic rolls up thinking they are so "Fast and Furious" I like to play around with them.

My point is its only half a thrill. If you think thats a thrill try it in a real car built for speed. :rock:

cutlassburnin
12-31-2008, 03:38 PM
Id never say my cars a sports car..or even close... but it does have enough balls to have fun with, and its reliable.

bubblebob88
12-31-2008, 03:51 PM
My point is its only half a thrill. If you think thats a thrill try it in a real car built for speed. :rock:

I definitely cant wait to get something, I just enjoy my Cutlass for now. As you, I do love those older birds, and have been looking at a few lately but I need to save a bit more up, and I'm sure that I'll say the first day, "Wow, my Cutlass is slow!"

cutlassburnin
01-01-2009, 12:28 AM
Im thinking about maybe either a caprice or a 95 or so camaro...I like that body style.

cutlasscruizerrr
01-01-2009, 03:32 AM
I think the thrill comes when you win a race unexpectedly. If you get in a formula and try to race a ricer, they'll just look the other way; but when you have an aka grannie's car, they think they have a shot, until you blow past them. That's when it's fun, especially when you're 'kinetic and leave a caddy eating your dust :)

Electra_T_Type
01-01-2009, 04:53 AM
....nor is something with a normally aspirated 4 or 6 cylinder in it FAST!...

Kinda of a blanket statement, I wouldn't call a BMW M3 slow.

dcjredline
01-01-2009, 01:02 PM
You cant in your car, I cant in the 6000 either. Most stock to stock I can in my Formula, BUT to prove my point that is a car built for speed so that isnt in the same category either.

SCREECH
01-01-2009, 07:54 PM
I feel that this thread points out one of the great things about sites like this one, however. We all share a love for the A-body cars. There are different things that we like about them, and some of us just like using them as drivers because they do tend to be reliable, inexpensive to maintain, and relatively easy to work on. What Don is saying is true: these cars were not designed to win races or the hearts of speed freaks. However, those who have the means and desire to improve the performance of this beloved platform have a wonderful resource of info and experiences to draw on by coming to this site. We have a wonderful cross section of users on here, both to inspire and provide experiences to help those looking to do the same. Ask about putting an L67 in an A-body and undoubtedly Skalor's name will come up. Say "turbocharged A-body"...anyone? Turbokinetic. Right. Hopefully, by the end of the summer people may think of Screech when a V8 swap is mentioned, but we'll see. I'm going to look at a '93 Deville tomorrow. :nervous:

As I said, it's obvious that we all share a love of A-bodies (just look at your browser's address bar). And the great thing about so many of us coming together in a forum such as this is that we get to see all of the possibilities that can be had with this versatile platform. If you want a driver, no problem. If you want a show car, you can do it. If you want a racer, you can build it. Rock on, guys. :rock:

Century7667
01-04-2009, 03:58 AM
Well said. I'll chip in as well. I've owned my original A-body Century for 13 years now. It's just a solid design like its predecessor rear drive A-body (78-84). If you take care of it, it will definitely take care of you. The performance isn't bad either, and yeah, I've surprised a few rice burners with a game of keep away. >:-)

Techfizzle
01-04-2009, 05:30 AM
rev limiter?? I can floor it in nuetral and it doesnt stop at a certian rpm

Prospeeder
01-04-2009, 11:08 PM
my 6000 doesnt have a nuetral rev limiter like my TGP does, both 1990s, both 3.1s

cutlassburnin
01-05-2009, 01:36 AM
Mine set to 5500 stock

95CutlassCiera
01-05-2009, 05:18 PM
i agree with screech, ive always belived you can do anything you want, as long as your determined. i love the idea of a fast a-body because only a handful of people have a fast a-body, they are in my opinion the ultimate sleepers

bubblebob88
01-05-2009, 08:02 PM
Yes, I was noticing the unlimited like revving in neutral, but when topping out it revs very minimal like its ready to just unload at any time...

The Dark Side of Will
01-07-2009, 11:20 PM
I've got to get the 4T65EHD transmission in before I do any serious racing. This trans I have now will break in a hurry!

Will, I looked on the Fiero forum but couldn't find a thread on your N* build. Would love to read about it if you could point me in the right direction. Did you keep the 4T80E transmission with the N*?

You definately have a weight advantage, and traction advantage being RWD.

I got a compliment on my engine setup while checking the oil at a gas station. Someone looked at it and said "So they DID put the turbo V6 in a FWD car afterall!" I had to do some real convincing that I had built the turbo system and it was not a factory turbo engine!

Later,
David

I don't have any one thread on my car. It's an '87 GT with Northstar, 5 speed and lots of suspension mods. It was one of the very first Northstar/stickshift cars, so I ended up putting it together fairly slowly as I figured out individual issues. It's run 12.86 @ 106 with the stock engine and I'm putting together a built engine for it. Fieros hook on street tires the way Camaros and Mustangs hook on DR's or slicks.

That was a nice compliment you got.

I've maintained for a long time that A-bodies had factory installed cloaking devices. Cops who give me the evil eye in the Fiero don't even look at me in the Goose. The car is INVISIBLE to them.

It's also fun to take a ridiculously slow car and have a ball whipping the p!$$ out of it without getting to dangerous or significantly illegal speeds.