PDA

View Full Version : New rear disc brake alternative!!

86euro
12-27-2008, 06:57 PM
I recently noticed that a customer's '05 Chevy Uplander minivan had rear disc brakes and the bearing hub/caliper mounts have the same mounting bolt pattern as the A-body/U-van rear beam. In other words, they will bolt on! The e-brake cables would need to be adapted, but that's no big deal. Also, the brakes are fairly large and the van had 17 inch wheels, so a 16 inch wheel may be the smallest you can use.

Does anybody know when they started using the rear disc on those vans? I know in the last couple years of production, they had a six-lug pattern rather than five, so those obviously wont work.

86euro
12-27-2008, 07:05 PM
After checking on car-part.com, apparently it's a one-year-only deal. There were a '98 and '99 listed, but I think it was a listing error as the rest were all '05 model year. At any rate, there are few local yards that show the whole rear axle assembly that deliver to my shop, so I think I'll try it out.

LordDurock
12-27-2008, 07:51 PM
try it out sounds cool if you doing a 16inch rim upgrade

86euro
12-27-2008, 09:39 PM
try it out sounds cool if you doing a 16inch rim upgrade

The car already has 16's on it, 17's may go on it in the spring. Now I'm curious if the Uplander uses a master cyl with a separate ABS unit, if so, it may be possible to adapt it. It would be a good match when using the large '92-'96 U-van front brakes (which I had also planned on swapping).

skalor
12-27-2008, 10:40 PM
Even if you did a U-van front brake conversion with this setup, it will still probably have bigger discs in the rear. :D Definitely good information to know that there are other alternatives out there though.

86euro
12-27-2008, 11:30 PM
I didn't measure, but the diameter is close. It would be pretty cool to fabricate a big-brake setup for the front, just need to play with some parts and come up with a bunch of free time:lol:

SCREECH
01-01-2009, 05:45 AM
I've got '92 U-van brakes on the front of my '89 Ciera International now, which forced me to put 15" wheels on it (I don't have tires for my 16" Olds 5 stars yet) on the front. I know where there's an '88 STE fwd that I was going to pull the rear axle from, but I will look into the '05 U-van setup instead. I often use rockauto.com (http://www.rockauto.com) for my parts comparisons. They often have important details such as measurements and interchanges built right into their catalog! :rock:

86euro
01-01-2009, 03:06 PM
When you went with the larger front brakes, did you notice any change in pedal feel at all?

Prospeeder
01-01-2009, 05:48 PM
if you get too large of rear brakes you may run into some stability problems when braking...

SCREECH
01-01-2009, 07:58 PM
When you went with the larger front brakes, did you notice any change in pedal feel at all?

I haven't driven the car with the new setup yet. I just got the drivetrain fully reassembled during the summer and put the car back on it's wheels for the first time in years (it's the one I bought from a wrecking yard). It's not likely, however, that there will be a difference in the pedal feel. What I would expect a difference in is the time it takes to get the car slowed down during extreme braking. Brake fade should also not be as easily experienced. These are the types of advantages I am expecting. Although I haven't driven this car, I do know how a typical A-body responds, so I should be able to make somewhat of a comparison. Considering that I also have a 4.9L swap planned on the Ciera I will definitely want improved braking.

SCREECH
01-01-2009, 11:47 PM
UPDATE!!!

Ok, I had a nap this afternoon (hey, I'm on vacation, I'm allowed. :dunno:) and while in my half asleep state I had an epiphany! The new rear disc setup can likely be had from ANY of the newer vans, 2005 and up! When I got up I checked on RockAuto.com (http://www.rockauto.com/) and confirmed this.

Yes, the 2006 and up vans have 6 bolt wheel hubs/bearings. So those and the discs themselves can't be used. BUT, the calipers are the same between the '05 and '06+ years, as are the brake pads. So, if you are pulling the parts from an '06+ van you'd simply remove the bearing and rotor and leave them behind. The backing plate will still have the rectangular four bolt pattern for the end of the axle beam that will bolt on behind your original bearing on your A-body and allow you to mount the calipers. Buy a new set of rotors for an '05 vans (with 5 bolt holes) and you're set! :rock:

86euro
01-02-2009, 11:32 PM
if you get too large of rear brakes you may run into some stability problems when braking...

They really aren't that large, the main advantage would be they are a newer better design than the STE rear discs. Even though the STE brakes are far better than the ja2 drums, there is still room for improvement.

UPDATE!!!

Ok, I had a nap this afternoon (hey, I'm on vacation, I'm allowed. :dunno:) and while in my half asleep state I had an epiphany! The new rear disc setup can likely be had from ANY of the newer vans, 2005 and up! When I got up I checked on RockAuto.com (http://www.rockauto.com/) and confirmed this.

Yes, the 2006 and up vans have 6 bolt wheel hubs/bearings. So those and the discs themselves can't be used. BUT, the calipers are the same between the '05 and '06+ years, as are the brake pads. So, if you are pulling the parts from an '06+ van you'd simply remove the bearing and rotor and leave them behind. The backing plate will still have the rectangular four bolt pattern for the end of the axle beam that will bolt on behind your original bearing on your A-body and allow you to mount the calipers. Buy a new set of rotors for an '05 vans (with 5 bolt holes) and you're set! :rock:

That is good news, as long as the the bearings have the same distance between the base and the wheel mounting flange as the a-body bearings. Still not a very big deal as bearings are easily purchased new.

a1veedubber
01-03-2009, 05:48 PM
This is kind of off the current debate going on, but for the JA1 5X100MM guys, a lot of J-body guys adapt (gasp!)Dodge Neon or Daytona rear discs to their cars....Ive never looked into it tooo much as my 92HP does not really require it!

86euro
01-03-2009, 08:44 PM
There was a write-up posted somewhere about that, is that the one that involved having the caliper mounts machined?

Haven't tried it, but I think a JA1 rear disc setup can be created using the STE setup, but substitute the JA1 wheel bearings and Fiero rotors.

Metro666
06-26-2009, 08:38 PM
If i use U-vans front disk set-up with rear STE disk convertion...
Will that be a good brake set-up???:)

Pontiac6ksteawd
06-27-2009, 08:16 PM
I am wondering, for the JA1 guys, if the rear disc brakes off a fiero wouldnt work. I have never really looked closely at one, and havent owned a JA1 car, but I cant think of a reason it would work.

Tonglebeak
06-28-2009, 02:29 AM
The rear discs I'm using ARE off a fiero and work on my JA2 setup.

Pontiac6ksteawd
06-28-2009, 02:52 AM
but, what I am wondering is, if you take the backing plate off, is there a way to fab it, if it isnt a direct bolt on, so that the same setup works on a JA1 car.

Tonglebeak
06-28-2009, 03:22 AM
Oh that's a good question. I have no idea but I'd think there'd be a difference...wait, Fieros had JA1? Didn't they all come with calipers? Light duty wtf?

Pontiac6ksteawd
06-28-2009, 04:42 AM
Yea, the fieros had 4 wheel disc brakes, and were JA1 bolt pattern.

LordDurock
06-28-2009, 05:19 AM
it was my understanding that the rear ferio cradle was more of less a front abody cradle.........and had more or less the same hubs.......so there are no rear brakets just a cast piece of metal like on the front brakes of our a's

one my look in to the front brake brakets.....but i dont know if it has them..........the front axle is a removable unit and can be mounted any ware as it is all self contained

86euro
06-28-2009, 02:12 PM
The rear discs I'm using ARE off a fiero and work on my JA2 setup.

Pretty sure that just your calipers are from a Fiero?

it was my understanding that the rear ferio cradle was more of less a front abody cradle.........and had more or less the same hubs.......so there are no rear brakets just a cast piece of metal like on the front brakes of our a's

This is what I'm thinking also.

Pontiac6ksteawd
06-28-2009, 07:40 PM
The front would have the same too, because of it being a turning knuckle. But that doesnt mean there isnt a backing plate on either the front, or the back, that might work.

LordDurock
06-29-2009, 06:03 AM
qeustions sloved just like i though
http://www.lambolounge.com/Chassis/Rear-end/Bump-steer/bump.asp

http://97.100.221.23:443/garage/getrag/on_cradle01.jpg