PDA

View Full Version : OT: ****ing fords

Tonglebeak
01-04-2009, 09:22 PM
I hate servicing fords already! Replaced the tstat on my gf's 99 contour. What a PAIN IN THE ASS. For some unknown reason, the entire cooling system felt like flushing itself simply by disconnecting the _UPPER_ radiator hose. Now what the hell? Not only that, but the goddamn water outlet is _plastic_. GREAT DESIGN FORD, THANK YOU SO MUCH!! Oh and don't get me started on how much of a PITA it was to get to the housing bolts...AND TO GET THEM BACK IN FOR THAT MATTER!

86euro
01-04-2009, 09:29 PM
You would be surprised how many cars and trucks have plastic thermostat housings now, and yes, it is common for them to crack and leak. It's just stupid.

a1veedubber
01-04-2009, 11:22 PM
You would be surprised how many cars and trucks have plastic thermostat housings now, and yes, it is common for them to crack and leak. It's just stupid.

Yet another reason I dont like anything newer than 1990!! :rofl:

white89euro
01-05-2009, 12:15 AM
What? You don't like it when your plastic thermostat housing breaks? I don't see why that would bother anyone.

Have you heard about cars with plastic wheels? Some manufacturer, I think European, has tried that.

T5258
01-05-2009, 12:22 AM
I worked for Chrysler in the early 90's & thought their idea of plastic intake manifolds was 'tarded....I work fot Toyota now & they're doing the same thing!!! Funny, my opinion of using plastic under the hood hasn't changed though....my 83 Spirit has a plastic valve cover....probably didn't leak for the first 28 seconds of use, then it was all downhill....

SCREECH
01-05-2009, 04:50 AM
....my 83 Spirit has a plastic valve cover....probably didn't leak for the first 28 seconds of use, then it was all downhill....
That's the 4.2L, right? Why don't you swap it to a stamped or cast one? I've seen 'em available when I was looking around for parts when I owned an '87 Eagle Wagon 4x4 for a few weeks.

Pontiac6ksteawd
01-05-2009, 04:51 AM
Try changine the thermostat on the 3.8 ltr Ford Taurus, Sable, Lincoln. What a pain in the......

mickstan_VR
01-06-2009, 01:08 AM
My Aveo is easy to work on. Just open the hood and toss in a couple of fresh hamsters...

86euro
01-06-2009, 01:42 AM
My Aveo is easy to work on. Just open the hood and toss in a couple of fresh hamsters...

Hehe :lol:

Most NAPA stores in Columbus are using those things now. We've been fixing most of the wrecked ones (along with the delivery trucks too). Anyway, as a joke, we made a label that read "powered by briggs & stratton" and stuck it on the engine cover. Who knows if they ever noticed it, lol.