PDA

View Full Version : olds 3.3 struddering

kingkandy
01-16-2009, 02:37 AM
my 93 olds 3.3 is acting sluggish and it studders when making starts what's wrong?:wave:

SCREECH
01-16-2009, 06:33 AM
my 93 olds 3.3 is acting sluggish and it studders when making starts what's wrong?:wave:
Well, there's quite a number of things that could cause this. Can you give us a little more background, such as when your last tune up was, an what was replaced at that time? When was the last time your ignition wires were replaced if they weren't done at the last tune up? And what about the oxygen sensor? And the air filter? Although those last two are technically part of a tune up, I'm asking about them because many people overlook things like these, it seems. Has the problem suddenly developed, or has it seemed to have slowly gotten worse?

Also, have a look in your trunk, on the black cover that goes over your spare tire. There's a white sticker on there with a bunch of 3-digit letters and numbers. Can you list all of the ones starting with F and G?

kingkandy
01-16-2009, 01:36 PM
i replaced o2 senser a mointh ago i put one of the high performance aiir filters on i changed oil last week along with plugs and wires
and i do have anything in my trunk just a peice of plywood cause when my dad gave me the car it didnt have the trunk thingy it slowly worsened i when i firsyt got the car if i put the gas down too much i would burn rubber lol but i also ran some of the injector cleaing bottles through the gas tank tooo

thanks

Prospeeder
01-16-2009, 10:35 PM
that air filter, if its one of the oil covered ones, and you go a tad crazy with oil, it will coat the MAF sensor (i think those engines have those right?) Grab some MAF cleaner at a parts store and hose it out and let it dry, I belive some1 with a blue cutlass had a similar issue.

SCREECH
01-17-2009, 01:27 AM
i replaced o2 senser a mointh ago...i also ran some of the injector cleaing bottles through the gas tank too
I'm assuming from your wording that you replaced the oxygen sensor BEFORE you ran the injector cleaner, correct? I can't tell you how many times I've had my O2 sensor PUKE right after I ran injector cleaner. I know there is cleaner that says it's safe to use with oxygen sensors, but both times I've used cleaner now I've had my sensor take a dive.

Try unplugging your sensor and see how it runs.

bubblebob88
01-17-2009, 03:03 AM
Yeah ask Cutlassburnin, he had his car running sluggish and used MAF cleaner and it worked like a charm

Jet
01-17-2009, 03:08 AM
Yeah, I had a K&N air filter on my daily driver 2003 GMC Sierra, was over-oiled, would set the Check Engine light every week with the code for the MAF sensor PO101....went with the AEM air filter, solved it.

bubblebob88
01-17-2009, 03:45 AM
Here's the link I was talking about: http://www.a-body.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1475

cutlassburnin
01-17-2009, 04:04 AM
id try that first..start with the cheapest solution first

bubblebob88
01-17-2009, 04:08 AM
Might give mine a cleaning too, I'm sure mine needs it, its been a little sluggish lately but I'll have to see after the cold weather has passed to be sure...kingkandy recently replace the head on his ciera I hope he has some pics!