PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Truck

Techfizzle
01-28-2009, 12:20 AM
A buddy of mine that had the s10's truck quit so I bought it.
Its a 1988 f150 Lariat 4.9 I6 5 Speed 133,xxx ,miles, body in good shape the motor needs rebuilt. I got it for $250 buck pix soon
untill i get into the motor and see what it needs im night going to make any descions so either I will keep this truck or, fix it up and get $1000 out of it and get another a-body

85 Holiday
01-28-2009, 12:45 AM
So, you have 2 projects now?

86euro
01-28-2009, 12:53 AM
Don't bother fixing the motor. AFAIK, those motors are usually bulletproof, so good running used ones should be dime a dozen. I'm no ford expert though.

And please don't take any parts off of it before you have replacements.

LordDurock
01-28-2009, 01:02 AM
check to make sure all the accessory are good. had a power steering pump seize on a i6 bronco locking up the hole motor. so check that out.

also i remember right there are some differences in 4.9 I6s that variy over the years

all this is vag as at one point a buddy of my dads lent use his bronco and one cold winter night my dad though he seized the motor...2 years latter we got a round to fixing it and found out that the power steering pump was seized up

The Mad Hatter
01-28-2009, 01:03 AM
Dude, shouldn't you focus your money on fixing the FIRST project you started?

Pontiac6ksteawd
01-28-2009, 01:26 AM
The I6 motors are indeed bullet proof gas guzzlers. Great TQ, and good power, but it costs you at the pump. But they will run forever.

Techfizzle
01-28-2009, 01:50 AM
im guessing its a broken rod, the guy said it truns over so far then it locks back.
it may be something simple but there is oil all over the engine bay. so im guessing its not so simple.
i have a short block in the garage from an old project
like i said, il see if i like it, if i do, il stick with it.
if not, im will sell it and get another a-body

my ciera will be on hiatus untill then, if i like the truck, then il pull the driveline and sell it and sell any parts you guys want.

Im not going to splurge so much I already have a hu and a sub in a backseat truck box
so il have to get some speakers and an amp
the seat is ripped but il hide it with a thick blanket
il have someone paint it
about all the customizing i will do is kc lites, blackout headlights, billet grille, dash cover and some guages, i MIGHT white-face the gauges but il see how much i make at work and maybe some wheels, but this is AFTER i get everything else done
im NOT going to lower it, lift it, chop the roof, make a woodside box, hydraulics, and all that fun stuff,
im NOT going to go over $300-400 in acessories, i make it look nice, but not turn it into a money pit

ibhwrd2
01-28-2009, 01:50 PM
im guessing its a broken rod, the guy said it truns over so far then it locks back.
it may be something simple but there is oil all over the engine bay. so im guessing its not so simple.
i have a short block in the garage from an old project
like i said, il see if i like it, if i do, il stick with it.
if not, im will sell it and get another a-body

my ciera will be on hiatus untill then, if i like the truck, then il pull the driveline and sell it and sell any parts you guys want.

Im not going to splurge so much I already have a hu and a sub in a backseat truck box
so il have to get some speakers and an amp
the seat is ripped but il hide it with a thick blanket
il have someone paint it
about all the customizing i will do is kc lites, blackout headlights, billet grille, dash cover and some guages, i MIGHT white-face the gauges but il see how much i make at work and maybe some wheels, but this is AFTER i get everything else done
im NOT going to lower it, lift it, chop the roof, make a woodside box, hydraulics, and all that fun stuff,
im NOT going to go over $300-400 in acessories, i make it look nice, but not turn it into a money pit
Tech...
Forget about all of the stereo crap and cosmetic accessories for now. :uh: Get the stupid thing running...so at least you'll have one running vehicle.
But dude, when you do get it running well. Don't put off road lights on a two wheel drive truck. It just makes you look like a poser.

Techfizzle
01-28-2009, 08:20 PM
poser?

ibhwrd2
01-28-2009, 09:22 PM
poser?

Someone who acts like they are something they are not...ie...someone who outfits a truck that has absolutely no off-road capabilities with off-road equipment.

Techfizzle
01-28-2009, 11:39 PM
so!?!
as long as it looks good with some cheap rice burner lights and headlight covers who cares if its 4wd or not it will still get the shortys (chicks for you old schoolerz)
i read online that the power steering pump will seize on a 4.9 and lock the motor, im going to tow it home saturday, so il take the belt off and check
like i said im not going to pimp it out untill everything else is done and im not going to go over $400 in upgrades
ya dig ma nizzle?

a1veedubber
01-29-2009, 12:04 AM
This thread went downhill, and I didnt even know it was possible!!! FWIW, there can be a need for off-road lights on 2WD truck. I know a few folks who go offroading & prefer 2wd. I honestly know very little about offroading, but I think it has something to do with their type of driving.

Back OT, Tech, have you considered buying a vehicle that works as is?? Seriously, I know where I can get several usable vehicles right now for 3-400. Ive got my eye on another VW Cabriolet for parts, but I dont think the guy will come down far enough........I still need an engine for mine!

edit: And any "Shortys" you pull in with the above described Ford & its stereo & blanket covered seat aint the kind you'd want to take home to momma ( or even to a motel) if you know what I mean!

86euro
01-29-2009, 01:10 AM
I agree, the only "shortys" you would get with a truck of that description would be of the "summer teeth" variety :uh:

ochy38
01-29-2009, 01:35 AM
so!?!
as long as it looks good with some cheap rice burner lights and headlight covers who cares if its 4wd or not it will still get the shortys (chicks for you old schoolerz)
ya dig ma nizzle?

I am at a loss for words. My goodness.

Those girls with summer teeth are probably what he's in the market for anyway. They are the only ones who like riding around in perfectly good cars turned into "primer disasters" anyway.

86euro
01-29-2009, 01:41 AM
Besides, you don't modify a vehicle because someone else (shortys, in your case) would like it. You do it because you like it.

ibhwrd2
01-29-2009, 01:55 AM
This thread went downhill, and I didnt even know it was possible!!! FWIW, there can be a need for off-road lights on 2WD truck. I know a few folks who go offroading & prefer 2wd. I honestly know very little about offroading, but I think it has something to do with their type of driving.

Back OT, Tech, have you considered buying a vehicle that works as is?? Seriously, I know where I can get several usable vehicles right now for 3-400. Ive got my eye on another VW Cabriolet for parts, but I dont think the guy will come down far enough........I still need an engine for mine!

edit: And any "Shortys" you pull in with the above described Ford & its stereo & blanket covered seat aint the kind you'd want to take home to momma ( or even to a motel) if you know what I mean!
Seriously not trying to take the thread downhill. I'm not telling him anything different than I'd tell my little brother who is about the same age. I can see how someone that worked outside might need off road lights (ie...farmer, construction worker etc). I don't think that's Tech's reasoning. It's just that he's always asking for advice on here and I guess that it's the big brother coming out in me when it comes to his order of doing things and the lack of practicality. :uh: Oh and then the complete ignoring of all of our advice followed by more questions to help fix the results.

The Mad Hatter
01-29-2009, 02:04 AM
It's just that he's always asking for advice on here and I guess that it's the big brother coming out in me when it comes to his order of doing things and the lack of practicality. :uh: Oh and then the complete ignoring of all of our advice followed by more questions to help fix the results.

I've noticed this. Why do we keep answering his questions when he has YET to take ANY of our advice. Let him take his truck and walk. Maybe he will sell his Cieria in one piece to someone on here who can fix what he's done to it. :werd:

a1veedubber
01-29-2009, 02:04 AM
Seriously not trying to take the thread downhill. I'm not telling him anything different than I'd tell my little brother who is about the same age. I can see how someone that worked outside might need off road lights (ie...farmer, construction worker etc). I don't think that's Tech's reasoning. It's just that he's always asking for advice on here and I guess that it's the big brother coming out in me when it comes to his order of doing things and the lack of practicality. :uh: Oh and then the complete ignoring of all of our advice followed by more questions to help fix the results.

Dont worry, it wasn't you post I was referring to!

Techfizzle
01-29-2009, 02:24 AM
fwiw i like hi-q girls

CieraSL92
01-29-2009, 03:12 AM
So basically, your ciera is cosmetically tashed but the engine and transmission are good. SO rather than drive something that looks a little trashy, you buy a pig of a truck with an engine thats partially seized.

Good work.

Seriously, scrap prices were pretty high last year if there still up I'd scrap it.

LordDurock
01-29-2009, 03:42 AM
tech om sorry even were i come from (and there are a few gangs around here) gilr in to that stuff are one not in to red neck hick ganster stuff, and to you have no ware near the the smarts or street smarts to run with any girl of that kind. trust me it a ruff crowd.

on a side not off road lights and gangser crap dont mix will...................and my cats are in heat lol. sorry random btu there keep crying

ibhwrd2
01-29-2009, 03:57 AM
tech om sorry even were i come from (and there are a few gangs around here) gilr in to that stuff are one not in to red neck hick ganster stuff, and to you have no ware near the the smarts or street smarts to run with any girl of that kind. trust me it a ruff crowd.

on a side not off road lights and gangser crap dont mix will...................and my cats are in heat lol. sorry random btu there keep crying
fo shizzle lo dizzle:bowrofl:
I agree with your assesment of the redneck and gangsta stuff not mixing (I've had students who are the real deal when it comes to g stuff) and that's country fo sho:bowrofl: and not the good country like where I'm from :cheers:.

LordDurock
01-29-2009, 03:16 PM
it sad we now have a few large gangs running meth (mostly) in some of the surrounding towns. and then with little white kids growing up in one of 3 ways. super gangster, emo, or ranting about something that has noughting to do with creepy masks and just being providtive to to that way (what happened to the days when you went ageist the grain for something?) weird time and ranbles. and i come form a kinda small town area. :(

brp2z
01-30-2009, 03:05 AM
as far as 2wd off road guys.

not really
i know construction guys and what not that run a fat "float" tire up front to keep it from sinking
and a meaty a/t tire out back
basically making the best of what they have for their needs.

Techfizzle
01-30-2009, 03:08 AM
I went to the truck and put a wrench on the crank, the crank turns, but the belt slips, also the p/s pump is dry and there is oil ALL over it, so im guessing I found my problem, thats the reason I got it so cheap because the guy thought the motor had blown, and didnt want to piss with it, so I think its an easy fix. Will pose pix saturday if i get it home

Prospeeder
01-30-2009, 03:26 AM
pull off the belt and start it for a minute, confirm your finds.

Techfizzle
01-30-2009, 05:13 AM
I will when I get it home, cant run it too long because the water pump is hooked up to a pulley

Tuddi
01-30-2009, 09:10 AM
Where are the pictures of the monster?

Techfizzle
01-30-2009, 12:51 PM
saturday

SCREECH
01-30-2009, 03:05 PM
I will when I get it home, cant run it too long because the water pump is hooked up to a pulley
Yeah, that's a large part of the reason he said to only run it "for a minute". You'll pretty much know everything you need to know within the first 15-30 seconds.

pull off the belt and start it for a minute...

cutlassburnin
01-30-2009, 04:58 PM
i dont know man, as cheap as vehicles can be now i would have saved and waited for something a bit better.

LordDurock
01-30-2009, 05:18 PM
on a side note you can run a motor for about 4 minnits with out coolent be for the head temp get ot high. (ideling and not under load mind you

witht coolent you cna run them for much longer

CamoDeafie
01-30-2009, 06:07 PM
fwiw i like hi-q girls

high quality girls dont like when men think they like them because of what theyre driving ;) :P i love my gf... :D and in regards..is your ciera RUNNING? if it is, why the heck are you trying to fix your truck when you can fix the ciera? :)

dagr8tim
01-31-2009, 03:31 AM
Techie...congrats on your new purchase. The 300 Straight 6 is an awesome motor. The "Big Six" as it's called is nearly bullet proof. There are some mods where you can get some extra power out of the engine. Look for an "RV Crank" for some more torque. Also, the old UPS trucks ran the 300, and they had tube headers (if you can find one).

Also, check out www.fordsix.com. Their a great group of guys who totally know their stuff. But if you thnk you get your chops busted when you say something dumb here, you are in for a whole new world of getting your balls busted.

Lastly, consider a mid 90's intake, as it was alot more open. IIRC the 300 used a similar rocker to the 460's. You can swap the stock rockers (which are like 1.5 or 1.6) for 1.7 roller rockers.

Techfizzle
01-31-2009, 04:04 AM
I should get her home 2morow so il post some pics.
yeah i love the 300 6 the reason ford quit making them is they didnt sell a lot of parts for them :D

Pontiac6ksteawd
01-31-2009, 06:49 AM
correction, the reason ford quit making them is that they could no longer meat emissions requirements for the EPA. The same reason Jeep dropped the 4.0 6, and chevy dropped the 5.0/5.7 (thats the rumor on the Chevy anyways).

Techfizzle
02-01-2009, 04:38 AM
i got it home today my uncle's tow truck couldnt make it in my driveway, so we took the belt off, and it fired right up, it was a paint in the ass removing the old pump because the pulley is pressed on the pump and you have to take it off to remove it, we tried a puller for 3 hours with no avail, so we done it redneck style with a ball joint seperator and a sledge, the shaft sepereated from the pump, so the pulley was ON THERE. I bought a new pump, but the old pulley is ruint and you can only get one from ford, so Im going to a couple junkyards that are open 2morow to see if I can get one, I looked on ebay and it looks like any old pulley from a late 80s mid 90s ford motor will work.

The truck runs excelent and it started in 5 seconds after it had sat 5 months.

The guy a bought I from was a wheeler-dealer and i looked and the glovebox and the guy he bought it from... there was a paper in the glovebox for a court apperance with a charge of 30 grams of weed, meth and meth equipment, so thats how he bought it cheap, the guy went to the hokey-pokey

but the guy I bought it from said he was going to rebuild the motor, but it was too cold, little did he know it was the pump

so basicly for $250 I bought a solid, clean, little rusted truck with 103,000 (looked at the odometer wrong earlier) that had been serviced regulary by the original owner (not the doper)

so The guy that bought it new in 1988, my dad knew him and said he remembers the truck, because he worked at gates rubber with him, is the first owner, he sold it in june 07 so he owned it for 19-20 years so he's the first owner

the doper bought and got busted in july of 08 so he had it about a year so he is second owner

the weeler-dealer bought it, but he never drove it so he dont count

then I bought it so I'm the third owner

i found all that info just from the glovebox
i like to play john grissim (CSI) when I buy a vehicle, you can learn alot from old papers

the truck needs a few things but there about a dime a dozen at the jy like the armest pad, a vent window handle, etc

Techfizzle
02-01-2009, 04:42 AM
p.s pix 2morow didnt have time to take them today had to get up at 5:15am for work