PDA

View Full Version : Music?

86euro
02-08-2009, 12:01 AM
Just kind of curious what type of music everyone here listens to. There seems to be a wide age span here, but everyones personality seems to be fairly similar.
I myself like a large variety of music, but mostly 70's, 80's and 90's rock/classic rock and I also listen to a lot of older country music.
How about you fellas?

CieraSL92
02-08-2009, 12:04 AM
Classic rock! Some current stuff. Pretty big fan of the clash too.

Tuddi
02-08-2009, 12:45 AM
Blues

Here a song by my father, performed by my brother: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge6awkEony4 .... pictures from my part of the desert.

T5258
02-08-2009, 01:02 AM
well....lessee, I just went to a record (yes, record) store & picked up a few cassettes for the 6000....Van Halen Balance, Cinderella Heartbreak Station, Journey's Greatest Hits, Queensryche Hear in the Now Frontier, and the soundtrack to Godzilla (from 1998, has a great version of Bowie's "Heroes" by the Wallflowers...so I guess I fall in the Classic/Hair generation as well...I guess it's not a coincidence that my 6000 was built in my junior year of high school...

LordDurock
02-08-2009, 01:26 AM
^plus 2

had the bug seance i was three and i put on a Europe album and halfway to heaven played, the warrant cherry pie album came a few days latter lol

Techfizzle
02-08-2009, 02:02 AM
you still listen to those ol' hiss-ridden tapes?
you are in the digital dust!

ochy38
02-08-2009, 03:35 PM
I used to listen to classic rock like its no-bodys business (floyd, zeppelin, van halen, billy squire), and the great guitarist stevie ray vaughn, but more recently I have moved on to 90's alternative/grunge, Soundgarden is my favorite band, throw some pearl jam in there, some post-grunge like bush or live, and even a little bit of new rock is ok. Oh, forgot metallica.

BignastyGS
02-08-2009, 05:17 PM
My choice......

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa105/bignastyGS_photos/acdclogo.jpg

cutlassburnin
02-08-2009, 10:00 PM
depends on what im doing I guess...everything from depeche mode to johnny cash.

Tonglebeak
02-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Rock/hip-hop/rap.

What's the name of the genre that mixes both rap and rock (Linkin Park does this a lot, especially when they bring in Jay-Z)?

T5258
02-09-2009, 12:17 AM
[QUOTE=Techfizzle;20412]you still listen to those ol' hiss-ridden tapes?
you are in the digital dust![/QUOTE

Here we go again.....I put up w/the tapes because I like the apperance of the stock radio & didn't want to lose the wheel controls by installing an a/mkt unit. I own PLENTY of cd's and have a cassette adaptor for my mp3 player....

cutlassburnin
02-09-2009, 12:43 AM
im 20 so ive owned maybe 1 tape my whole life..I can understand keeping the radio though

95CutlassCiera
02-09-2009, 12:44 AM
i like metal, punk, grunge and some rock as well, used to be into some alternative rock, but with the new bands out there i dont listen to it as much. all time favorite band is alice in chains =]

BignastyGS
02-09-2009, 12:45 AM
[QUOTE=Techfizzle;20412]you still listen to those ol' hiss-ridden tapes?
you are in the digital dust![/QUOTE

Here we go again.....I put up w/the tapes because I like the apperance of the stock radio & didn't want to lose the wheel controls by installing an a/mkt unit. I own PLENTY of cd's and have a cassette adaptor for my mp3 player....

I refuse to install newer stereo equipment in my old cars.I even removed the Pioneer Super Tuner CD player from my one. The adapter kit was GOD awful looking and I re-installed a real nice AM/FM cassette,with EQ. Good enough then,Good enough now. Not a fan at all of the ricer, boom boxers that thump 3 blocks away..Lost enough hearing in my lifetime,would like to keep what little I have left till I am planted in the ground..

Prospeeder
02-09-2009, 01:12 AM
They do make 1.5 din CD players that look kick ass, and newer GM stock CD players plug right in and bolt right up. I had a 00 GP GT CD player with 7 band equalizer, red lighting, and Pontiac on it. Worked well, and looked nice.

BignastyGS
02-09-2009, 01:16 AM
Guess I should have stated..."I'm too old for that stuff "..lol

turbokinetic
02-09-2009, 01:21 AM
Just kind of curious what type of music everyone here listens to?....

Dance, house, trance, "techno" anything fast and upbeat. Listen to XM and my MP3's most of the time. Have been into MP3 since before Napster came and went.

Like some of ALL genre of music. I like the country/ rock crossovers, but not love songs and ESPECIALLY NOT "someone died" songs. Don't like rap, don't like music where they whine. Don't like music where they use foul language (except for certain songs are OK anyway).

When I don't have XM or my MP3 player, these local stations are OK but WHOA the commercials are ludicrous.

Like this local one when they don't get on a "love song" or "someone died song" stint:
http://radiotime.com/station/s_23328/WTXT_981.aspx

This one is also good, but certain DJ's are better than others:
http://radiotime.com/station/s_1009/The_Eagle_1069.aspx

This one is a good alternative station. We used to have a station called WRAX The X, which was world famous for bringing out new alternative music a few years back. Something happened (political I beleive) and now they are gone. Some of the people from The X are on this station:
http://www.1055thevulcan.com/main.html

Always good! These 3 are what I mostly listen to, plus the 80's and 90's channels:
http://www.xmradio.com/onxm/channelpage.xmc?ch=81
http://www.xmradio.com/onxm/channelpage.xmc?ch=80
http://www.xmradio.com/onxm/channelbio.xmc?ch=44

A good friend of mine is "into the club scene" and always has loads of MP3's and bootleg CD's to share when we visit.

Looking forward to seeing other folks responses, could be interesting!
Thanks,
David

turbokinetic
02-09-2009, 01:24 AM
you still listen to those ol' hiss-ridden tapes?
you are in the digital dust!

Lol! Nope I modded my radio to hook up to XM and MP3 player. Like the look and sound of the Delco EQ radio.

Will have to show my "minimalist engineering" aux input someday.....

David

skalor
02-09-2009, 01:35 AM
I listen to mostly ska and punk. This is actually the origin of my screen name, which I've been using since 1997. I do like a lot of '90s alternative too.

Techfizzle
02-09-2009, 02:06 AM
they DO make radio's that interface with your car's factory steering wheel controls.
when they make a car they are skimpy in the audio department, they are not going to dump $600 in a music system, if that was the case then they wouldnt sell car radio's
i have never seen a factory radio that sounds better then a sony or kenwood

Techfizzle
02-09-2009, 02:11 AM
for central illnois

turbokinetic
02-09-2009, 02:19 AM
Most aftermarket radios look terrible, in my opinion. They never fit right and there are always numerous jerry-rigged bezels and adapters around them. They stick out like a large growth on the dash that needs to be excised by a surgeon.

turbokinetic
02-09-2009, 02:27 AM
Most aftermarket radios look terrible, in my opinion. They never fit right and there are always numerous jerry-rigged bezels and adapters around them. They stick out like a large growth on the dash that needs to be excised by a surgeon.

........ But most don't look nearly as ghetto as my auxiliary input adapter built in a hurry before my last trip to Louisiana!

http://68.209.87.173/Temp/aux1.jpg

86euro
02-09-2009, 02:56 AM
I listen to mostly ska and punk. This is actually the origin of my screen name, which I've been using since 1997. I do like a lot of '90s alternative too.

What's ska?

turbokinetic
02-09-2009, 03:01 AM
What's ska?

I was curious too and found this Wikipedia article... (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ska_music)

cutlassburnin
02-09-2009, 03:03 AM
haha..damn man. Well..if it works. :)

Anyway..like I said before..im 20. And Im sure most of you guys have seen posts about my audio setup. If i cant make someone uncomfortable in my back seat..and force my will on the drivers around me then I have failed. hehe

turbokinetic
02-09-2009, 03:06 AM
haha..damn man. Well..if it works. :)

Anyway..like I said before..im 20. And Im sure most of you guys have seen posts about my audio setup. If i cant make someone uncomfortable in my back seat..and force my will on the drivers around me then I have failed. hehe

Lol!!! Good point and agreed... But I just use a 400 HP engine with a 3 inch flowmaster 'zaust to do the same!!! :kekeke:

Zaloryan
02-09-2009, 04:29 AM
I enjoy a lot of Japanese Anime soundtracks with scattered techno music. Current rock is my main preference with a ton of classic rock to follow. Right now I have a serious craving for Tool.

6000 SSEi
02-09-2009, 04:49 AM

I managed to find a company that makes some nice ones and orderd one. Pricey and with some modifications I could get one to work in the 6000. I can take some pictures of it sometime when I get a chance. might be a while cause the car is in storage for now.

Definitly Dance, House, some remixed stuff forsure.. And a little bit of everything else but country..

Tuddi
02-09-2009, 08:08 AM
House, rock, death, metal, disco, beat. etc. etc etc. has been around and gone off the radar many times, but the blues has been here since before the beginning, and it's still going strong, and in no way does it look as it's going away any time soon.... Not BECAUSE of that fact do I like the blues, but I do like the blues because of it's sincerity and feeling.

In 30 years.... how many people will be listening to house or metal or other kind of "music" ? Not many, and it's not going to be because of bad compositions, but rather because of bad "music". .... and the blues will still be alive and well...... that's just a fact and nothing personal.

Electra_T_Type
02-09-2009, 08:57 AM
Harder rock, metal, the alternative, and alot of hip hop, cassette players in all my cars so I'm always making cassettes. Factory cassette holder FTW.

95CutlassCiera
02-09-2009, 11:49 AM
hey skalor, mighty mighty bosstones? ;)

Nexum
02-11-2009, 02:43 AM
Rock, classic rock, metal, blues, anything good.

turbokinetic
02-11-2009, 02:57 AM
...the blues has been here since before the beginning, and it's still going strong, and in no way does it look as it's going away any time soon.... Not BECAUSE of that fact do I like the blues, but I do like the blues because of it's sincerity and feeling....

Completely true. Won't argue that a bit! I want to say this though; there are techno / electronic / dance songs that I first heard 15 years ago, and I still enjoy as much today as the first time I heard it. There is far more "crap" to weed through with this than with blues music, but there are still quite a few great tracks.

I just got back from Florence, AL which has a rich heritage in the Blues. I've been in the area and seen The W.C Handy Music Festival (http://www.wchandymusicfestival.org). The whole of Lauderdale County is awash in wonderful sounds, the smell of barbecue cooking, and a spirit that could be felt even by the blind and deaf! You would love this!

It's just a few miles from the junkyard with the cows, too! :)

David

LordDurock
02-11-2009, 03:56 AM
awh ska.......like free form jazz...idk just weird

but +2 on the blues

95CutlassCiera
02-11-2009, 11:47 AM
here is some ska, by one of my favorite bands http://www.playlist.com/searchbeta/tracks#mighty%20mighty%20bosstones

LordDurock
02-11-2009, 03:29 PM
^im happy that wasnt so bad.

speaking of music my dad bought a 260gb hard drive off ebay the other day for 30 bucks. (that guy was a royal jack a%% and did a lot of treating) on a side note it came with a working copy of xp and 200gb of music lol as he did wipe his drive. alone with some other sensitive stuff lol

Century7667
02-12-2009, 04:06 AM
Dave,

What's the pinout on that quick and dirty setup in your tape deck?

Ken T.

turbokinetic
02-12-2009, 04:19 AM
Dave,

What's the pinout on that quick and dirty setup in your tape deck?

Ken T.

I hate to tell you but I did that "on the fly" and didn't take notes. I have removed the tape deck from that radio and connected to the harness where it went.

Someone else here has a diagram for keeping the tape deck intact and doing it without using any relays, maybe they will post some info.

David

bubblebob88
02-12-2009, 04:45 AM
I like country, rock, mixtures of both. I like some rap, pop r&b, dance. Really anything if I can understand the words. I love music focused on acoustic guitars playing really, like a lot of punk too.

I think I don't like much classic because I like faster songs, ones that make me wanna dance...my favorite song right now is Four Nonblonde's "What's up" but I'll probably hate it next month, but its fun to sing loudly at work and watch the cameras to see how the customers react, last night I made $20 in tips lol

cutlassburnin
02-12-2009, 11:45 AM
If you like acoustic and dont think you like classical search " bach bmv 997 " prbrebly some of the most amazing guitar Ive ever heard.