PDA

View Full Version : replaced exhaust pipe, now car smokes

Tonglebeak
10-23-2007, 09:54 PM
And it doesn't smell very pretty either. Smells like something's burning.

I replaced the pipe that runs from the cc to the muffler. I ended up having to scrap the muffler in the process because the clamp was rusted on for it (so I'm running w/no muffler at this time). I also broke off one of the bolts on the cc so now I only have 3 bolts instead of 4 holding it together (but it's firm, snug and tight with a new gasket so I'm not worried about it).

Anyways, as I had came home, I noticed a burning smell. I got very worried, naturally. Parked the car and turned it off, looked under. Smoke is coming off the cc now. Not at the gasket, but off the converter body itself. It's not exhaust either, it's smoke that smells like burning wood.

Now I know the underbody is protected by a heat shield, so I'm not worried about my car burning down anytime soon. But I'm just very worried. I have no idea why smoke will be streaming off the cc now. I don't know if it's possibly wd-40 burning off or what, but it is scary

Anyone have any idea?

Also, I measured the pipe I got today. It was 2 and 1/8 inches I believe (that or 1/4 :\). Is that the factory size? I could've sworn they came with a 2.5" exhaust. Oh well.

mickstan_VR
10-23-2007, 10:43 PM
Sounds like(smells like?) wd40 is just burning off. The new pipe probably had some light oil on it to keep it from rusting also. I don't think its anything to worry about.

MR2Di4
10-26-2007, 06:44 AM
Pretty common for new exhaust pipes to smell funny and smoke a bit, it happens on brand-new cars too. You're probably noticing it more seems how it's exiting underneath the car and not out the back.

Were there any plastic or paper labels left on the pipe when you installed it? Does the cat or exhaust hang higher (closer) to the shield now? Lacking the weight of the muffler at the end may be a factor. If so it may just be cooking off stuff that wouldn't be affected before. Running your car without a muffler isn't good for your CC either so try and get one installed ASAP.

dcjredline
10-26-2007, 01:21 PM
I agree.

lackneramanda
06-04-2011, 02:54 AM
my right exhaust pipe starts making a metallic noise and vibrating when reducing gear. There is no noise when driving at normal speed (higher gear). The exhaust pipes/exhaust tubing are in perfect condition (no rust). i suspect that some fixing involving welding/soldering exhaust pipe may solve the case. i brought the car to 2 different garages and they had a very quick look and spent maximum 5min under the car. Both suggest to change the whole exhaust pipe... how do i solve this with a minimum financial cost?

turbokinetic
06-14-2011, 02:36 AM
Yeah I know that smell. You should smell a newly installed turbo system with all the insulation, over-wrap, new pipework, part-number stickers, greasy handprints, WD40, paint overspray, etc on it!!!!

It will dissipate!