PDA

View Full Version : Eibach springs don't fit (and important lesson!)

The Mad Hatter
02-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Hey all. Finally getting more into gear as the weather here is more hospitable for working outside now. Anyway, been building this rear axle on my porch, using a 95 Silhouette axle with rear discs from an 86 STE and planning to use Eibachs for a 95 Century. It all sounded right. I remember learning that the upper mounts for the springs didn't change between "generations" of the A-body, but the lowers went from "square" to "pigtail" on the later models, hence the different springs.

So here's my question, why do the Eibach's not fit the upper end? Here's a pic: http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s297/rapscallion_83/IMG00073.jpg

That's the upper end of the Eibach (left) and the F41 spring from my car (right). Notice the difference in size? I'm not sure if they are interchangeable. The insulator from the F41 won't fit the top of the Eibach, it's too big. Any suggestions?

As for the important lesson, here it is: A rear axle from a 95 Silhouette WILL NOT fit under an A-body. It is physically the same axle, but it is wider between the control arms. So, i assembled this whole axle and it WON'T WORK. :rant: That's ok, no big loss.

Any help with the spring issue is GREATLY appreciated. I need to get an axle under this car soon, i'll be getting another beam axle from an A-body very soon. Thanks!

turbokinetic
02-15-2009, 04:34 AM
Could the mount weldment be the same, but only the rubber spring seat change when going from one generation to the next?

Sucks about the axle - I hate it when things don't work out like that. Been there a time or 2 and had to redo a bunch of things. For instance, use of a 3.8 crankshaft in a 3.0 block. Looks like everything will fit and it does - but the cylinder sleeves don't extend far enough DOWN into the crankcase to support the piston skirts near the bottom of the longer 3.8 stroke!

Anyone need a freshly bored .060 3.0 Buick block.... Never run and I will sell it CHEAP....;)

David

The Mad Hatter
02-15-2009, 07:45 PM
Could the mount weldment be the same, but only the rubber spring seat change when going from one generation to the next?

I suppose that could be. I'll get the upper spring seats when i get the "new" axle here soon, gotta find something that works!

86euro
02-21-2009, 11:23 PM
Question on the axle beam, how far off is it? The control arms aren't very thick, is it possible they got bent on the replacement?

For the springs, I would cut off the factory upper spring locater, and weld in a short length of heavy steel tube that's the appropriate size.

The Mad Hatter
02-22-2009, 12:45 AM
Question on the axle beam, how far off is it? The control arms aren't very thick, is it possible they got bent on the replacement?

I haven't measured it, but the "calibrated eyball" says a couple inches. The control arms aren't bent, the axle is just wider.

For the springs, I would cut off the factory upper spring locater, and weld in a short length of heavy steel tube that's the appropriate size.

The spring fits ok, it's just the rubber insulator isn't small enough to fit inside the coil of the spring. I did get the new axle, out of a 94 century, and the upper insulators are the same as the ones off my Eurosport, so I'm not sure what Eibach expect me to do, but I'll just throw it up there and see what happens.

The Mad Hatter
03-07-2009, 11:56 PM
Update: I threw the new "hybrid" axle under the car today, and after a good bit of wrestling, its up there and somewhat attached (some of the control arm bolts broke off during removal due to rust seizure, so i need to get those removed). I put the springs in there "upside down", meaning the word "Eibach" is upside down right now, but it fits that way, and i took the spring i got off the donor Century and compared it. The Eibach looks the same if i flipped it upside down, so i put it in there that way. Its on the ground now, with some temporary wheels (off the donor Silhouette) for the time being. I'm not sure if those springs are in there right still, so i'm gonna do more research. ANYBODY with pictures of Eibachs installed on their car would be SUPER helpful. Thanks and laters!

Techfizzle
03-08-2009, 12:11 AM
try going to cardomain under a-bodys and loof for suspension upgrades

The Mad Hatter
03-08-2009, 12:25 AM
I'm looking for a picture of the spring itself installed (to see if i've got in in there right), not a picture of a car with the springs on it.

86euro
03-08-2009, 03:40 AM
So did the u-van rear axle beam work then?

The Mad Hatter
03-08-2009, 04:01 AM
No, i went and got an axle out of a 94 Century and swapped over all the disc brake stuff to that.