PDA

View Full Version : Rant: Cambridge tire SUCKS

CieraSL92
02-15-2009, 08:01 PM
Ok, so rewind to last week 2/6/09. The tire on my olds is flat (a rear) I have no spare, so I pull the wheel off and bring to them. Why didn't I bring the entire car? I would rather not unless I absolutely had to-plus I figured it should shorten wait time if they didn't have to clear a bay in the garage for it. Goes well, they balance and mount it and the total was $90+tax+tire disposal fee.

Friday I noticed as I was walking out of the store that they put the WRONG size tire on. Ok. Bring entire car back yesterday. I should have brought it back earlier, no doubt, I did put 50+ miles on it. So I guess it was good of them to replace it with the correct size. I spend several minutes arguing over it with him. He insisted 195/75 was the proper size because 'thats what the computer says' He went outside and looked at the others that were on it, and I pointed out that the door sticker stated 185.

So he swapped them. Thanks, blah blah blah. Drive home. Go out this morning to glance since I hadn't notice the bluewall on it. STILL 195! I COULD CHOKE THEM!

The thing that makes me want to chuck the friggin wheel at the service managers face is that on both occasions I stated the proper size. I'm going back tomorrow since there closed on sundays.

*end rant*

so yeah..

LordDurock
02-15-2009, 08:10 PM
it happens.....on a side note tire shop ussly hire shitting red necks how dont know jack about cars..........

dcjredline
02-16-2009, 01:56 AM
ORRRRRRRRRRR, maybe YOU could take a little responsibility and READ THE TIRE YOU GET BEFORE YOU LEAVE NEXT TIME! Why wouldn't you check to see you got what you paid for? Maybe your too busy being a _ _ _ to people to pay attention to yourself!! Ha Ha Ha Ha

Tonglebeak
02-16-2009, 01:59 AM
Firestone won my heart years ago. ASE certified mechanics, lifetime alignment/rotation, and the best customer service I've ever had ANYWHERE (not just car-specific places).

LordDurock
02-16-2009, 02:08 AM
this little shop (that looks getto) named action tire. won me. this shop has always done this area tire and car right. i been to shops like big o and been told that things like my inner tire rod ends are baddly worn so we wont do an alignment..........i say okay. get home and pull as hard as i can in ever derrection and cant find any play.............take to this guy and they do it. they did my friend Tercell with semi worn steering parts and still stood by there tires and work 100%.

as for what don said a shop that doesnt check them self is sad but miss takes happen, but doing it again when you should be fixing it is silly

CieraSL92
02-16-2009, 03:02 AM
ORRRRRRRRRRR, maybe YOU could take a little responsibility and READ THE TIRE YOU GET BEFORE YOU LEAVE NEXT TIME! Why wouldn't you check to see you got what you paid for? Maybe your too busy being a _ _ _ to people to pay attention to yourself!! Ha Ha Ha Ha

Well, I agree it does take a great deal of my time being an asshole. But that wasn't why I didn't check the tire. I had done business with before in this manner as in bringing the wheels in without issue.

I shouldn't have to double-check their work particularly something as ancillary as tire size.

dcjredline
02-16-2009, 04:06 AM
Well, I agree it does take a great deal of my time being an asshole. But that wasn't why I didn't check the tire. I had done business with before in this manner as in bringing the wheels in without issue.

I shouldn't have to double-check their work particularly something as ancillary as tire size.

I didn't say you SHOULD HAVE TO, but you SHOULD HAVE / I would have, especially after the first time they were so incompetent to put the wrong tire on my rim. Then I would stay away from them from here on out.

cutlassburnin
02-16-2009, 04:12 AM
yeaa I took my car for an oil change ( was too lazy to get rid of the oil and do it myself) and watched a kid take the thing flying around the parking lot when it was done. Maybe he saw the guages and heard the exhaust..idk. Sorta pissed me off though.

turbokinetic
02-16-2009, 04:21 AM
Sears at University Mall in Tuscaloosa, AL has my business for car tires. They do my mom and dad right, and do me right every time. The are honest and the prices are fair. Nationwide warranty too.

I run one size wider than stock tires on my Century's for traction and ride reasons. Sears has never questioned it. When I need tires I just say "replace the tires with same size" and they do it.

Cutlassburnin - I took my Century Olympia (with 3.8 turbo and loud pipes) to a local place in Louisiana to get a flat fixed. The kid kept "blipping" the gas making the exhaust BARK and resonate ANNOYINGLY in their shop. It was uncomfortably loud in a metal building. He did it again while parking it on the rack and nearly turned the rack over forward!!!! Manager yelled and scremed at him it was hilarious!!!

I agree with CieraSL - If I bring in a tire and ask for an identical replacement tire, the store should install what I ask for. Period. Shouldn't have to check behind them but I know you do. :(

Just my personal opinion!
David

cutlassburnin
02-16-2009, 04:28 AM
Sears at University Mall in Tuscaloosa, AL has my business for car tires. They do my mom and dad right, and do me right every time. The are honest and the prices are fair. Nationwide warranty too.

I run one size wider than stock tires on my Century's for traction and ride reasons. Sears has never questioned it. When I need tires I just say "replace the tires with same size" and they do it.

Cutlassburnin - I took my Century Olympia (with 3.8 turbo and loud pipes) to a local place in Louisiana to get a flat fixed. The kid kept "blipping" the gas making the exhaust BARK and resonate ANNOYINGLY in their shop. It was uncomfortably loud in a metal building. He did it again while parking it on the rack and nearly turned the rack over forward!!!! Manager yelled and scremed at him it was hilarious!!!

I agree with CieraSL - If I bring in a tire and ask for an identical replacement tire, the store should install what I ask for. Period. Shouldn't have to check behind them but I know you do. :(

Just my personal opinion!
David

Ive actually heard from guys who worked at chevy dealerships that some serious sports car owners actually ask the tech to " drive it hard" after he gets done working on it to make sure everythings right. These are corvettes and such though...this rule doesnt apply to my ciera.:rant:

turbokinetic
02-16-2009, 04:33 AM
Ive actually heard from guys who worked at chevy dealerships that some serious sports car owners actually ask the tech to " drive it hard" after he gets done working on it to make sure everythings right. These are corvettes and such though...this rule doesnt apply to my ciera.:rant:

Agreed! You need to attempt to induce a failure before returning the car to owner. This way you are sure the repairs were done right. There is a fine line between a "burn-in" run and "abuse" though!!!

When I have my oil changed, they always want to hear the engine "revved up" to make sure the filter gasket does not blow. I always give them their money's worth. :kekeke: They asked 'what that noise is' after the engine slowed down. I had to explain what "compressor blowback" on a turbo is!!!

David

cutlassburnin
02-16-2009, 04:39 AM
ha..yea. Trust me man if I lived closer to the south Id be sending cash and parts your way for fab work. Im picking up an arc welder most likely but learning to weld THEN jumping right into a major project..not so good. ha Ill have to settle with the extra few horses from the chip till i get some more exsperience under my belt.

turbokinetic
02-16-2009, 04:53 AM
ha..yea. Trust me man if I lived closer to the south Id be sending cash and parts your way for fab work. Im picking up an arc welder most likely but learning to weld THEN jumping right into a major project..not so good. ha Ill have to settle with the extra few horses from the chip till i get some more exsperience under my belt.

If you are thinking of fab and repair work on used metals (not just new stock) I would recommend a wire-feed welder with flux-core wire. The ability to use sheilding gas is not as important as the power of the welder and precision of the wire feed motor speed control. All the name-brand units can be later retrofitted with the gas valve anyway.

For repair and fab of used steel, the flux-core welding wire is the best choice. It will weld on rusty steel, weld off-position (upside down etc.) and is easy to master. The solid wire with sheilding gas is good because you don't have to brush or chip the weld between passes and it has no splatter. But it is harder to use if the part has intricate shapes or you have to weld off-position.

On the vast majority of my fab work I use flux core wire. There is a spray you can apply to the weldment before you weld on it and the splatter will not stick to the metal.

It's critical to get a welder that regulates the speed of the wire feed motor to a fine degree of accuracy. if the motor speed changes as the welding process draws more or less current - you are sunk and will never master the technique. Many of the ching-chong half-price units are this way. Go with a Lincoln, Hobart, Miller, Esab, Thermal Arc or other professional brand. Don't buy an off-brand welder as a first unit on which to learn the basics, this is a bad way to start out!

Respectfully,
David

cutlassburnin
02-17-2009, 03:20 AM
since you know a bit more than i do about running different tunes, what do you think of the chips jet puts out? Id imagine a major company would put alot more effort and testing into there products. Im thinking of going with a stage 2 from them..the one specifically for the car ( or at least the 3.3 as it says)

turbokinetic
02-17-2009, 03:26 AM
since you know a bit more than i do about running different tunes, what do you think of the chips jet puts out? Id imagine a major company would put alot more effort and testing into there products. Im thinking of going with a stage 2 from them..the one specifically the car ( or at least the 3.3 as it says)

Will look into it, but I always do my own tunes. From what I've heard of the 3300 it is very hard to improve on the factory tune without modding the engine to get it to breathe better.

David

turbokinetic
02-17-2009, 03:32 AM
since you know a bit more than i do about running different tunes, what do you think of the chips jet puts out? Id imagine a major company would put alot more effort and testing into there products. Im thinking of going with a stage 2 from them..the one specifically for the car ( or at least the 3.3 as it says)

Do you have a link to that? I can't find a listing for your car in the Jet website?
David