PDA

View Full Version : Dual Exhaust for A bodies

boderman88
02-25-2009, 07:01 PM
Since my muffler has rusted off near the cat. converter I've been looking at away to have a dual exhaust system. (The looks of it at least). Since most of our cars (if not all) have the exhaust going down the passenger side of the car, you will have to cut it about a foot away behind the cat, then split it in two with a y pipe to get the dual set up. The best route I've figured out to run the second exhaust pipe is to run it between the gas tank and the spare tire holder. Since the pipe will be so close to the tank, I might have to put thermal tape around that part because it could over heat and explode. (no good) You can curve the pipe to a ninety degree angle and set the muffler on the left side and keep the the other muffler on the right. (Put some nice tail pipes on it, but don't over do it.)

This seems semi-complicated because of the bends you will need to acheive this but I have been looking at the 90's pontiac grand am and grand prix exhaust systems and they might work if you cut it off at the right place. Someone let me know what you think about it. Or if you have any easier idea let me know. Our cars are almost classics (some of them are) so its time to treat it like it.

LordDurock
02-25-2009, 07:18 PM
well first off the set up the set up your talking about it not a true dual turn out ot be rather point less as it will be just as/ slight less restrictive as the stock set up. and costs more (extra muffler, more bends) larger pipe would work better

i keep say this but a true dual setup is a pipe (muffler if you want and cat if needed) per exhaust manifold

that being said. the best why i have found to do a true dual. cap off the rear manifold at the crossover pipe. and run a section of pipe form the front manfold over the trany and out the the hump in the middle (i already have a pipe there so its a tight fit) bolt up a noughter section of pipe to that peice that runs down the hump and does a few bends to a muffler on the left side of the car.

for me i would leave the stock pipe of the rear manifold as it runs down the hump and to the right were the stock muffler goes.

but my 4.3 exhaust it ran a bit different then yours it sounds like. and i dont need a cat so i dont have to find a place for 2

oh and my car has been a classic for a year now lol ;)

LordDurock
02-25-2009, 07:35 PM
on other way ot route the pipe the covers the body is ot have it follow the stock exsaust pipe tell it get to the rear right cover (orient from in side car) and then have it bend off can go a long the back side oft he the tank in to and L muffler (goes in the side comes out the back) that is mounded to the rear frame like the left side muffler.

Duke George V
02-25-2009, 10:56 PM
Get a muffler from an F-body. Has dual tips and a nice burble sound. Just have to mount the left tip since A-bodies don't have provisions for dual exhaust.

boderman88
02-26-2009, 01:54 AM
yeah i know it wouldn't be TRUE dual exhaust but would look alot better than just one tail pipe. I don't think I would put true dual exhaust on my car unless I dropped a pre-series II motor in it. But inspection is coming up and I have to spend the money for it anyways. so I want to add a little style to it. The f body muffler wouldn't work unless you bolted it under the bottom of your spare tire compartment. You probably would be able to see it. You might be able to do it between but the holder and the tank but thats risky because of the heat. I would rather have to 2.25 inch exhaust pipe running between it than the whole muffler. It might work though. idk. we need some more people to help out on this. I have been estimating the pricing for the project and its under $100 dollars. It seems legit. Just trying to find the easiest way for all of us.

brp2z
02-26-2009, 06:39 AM
thats and the duals (even not true) will sound better

boderman88
02-26-2009, 02:39 PM
idk what it is but the buick century looks like it should be a lowrider/classic car. It has to have the dual exhaust. The ciera in my mind, looks more sporty. I liked when one of our guys (I need to find the thread again) dropped the 3800 pre-series II motor in it. If I had a honda (Which would never happen, sorry honda owners :dunno: ) and that ciera came up next to me reving up. I would probably piss myself. But besides all of that. I've been looking at walker diagrams for exhaust set up and I think the grand am, grand prix and older monte carlos MIGHT work. someone higher up the food chain should confirm this for me.

turbokinetic
02-27-2009, 01:26 AM
idk what it is but the buick century looks like it should be a lowrider/classic car. It has to have the dual exhaust. The ciera in my mind, looks more sporty. I liked when one of our guys (I need to find the thread again) dropped the 3800 pre-series II motor in it.

Coulda been my Olympia, with pre-series I 3.8 SFI, with a little something extra? ;)
http://www.a-body.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1225

If I had a honda (Which would never happen, sorry honda owners :dunno: ) and that ciera came up next to me reving up. I would probably piss myself. But besides all of that. I've been looking at walker diagrams for exhaust set up and I think the grand am, grand prix and older monte carlos MIGHT work. someone higher up the food chain should confirm this for me.

There are mufflers with dual outlets which will fit where a stock A-body muffler goes. The left tailpipe would have to be carefully bent and shaped to clear the spare tire well. I would HIGHLY recommend going with a muffler that has pipe sizes that are larger than you currently have. Use a reducer at the muffler inlet to connect it to the existing system. Use the larger size pipe for the two tailpipes. This will create less restriction and the larger bore muffler will have a nicer sound to it.

Just my opinion!
David

cutlassburnin
02-27-2009, 02:21 AM
I could most likely fit a dual exhaust setup from a v6 camaro or firebird but I hate how obvious
its looks with the muffler in the center and the 2 pipes coming off it...it screams " trying to make up for not having a v8" to me. Dual mufflers would have to be the way to go for me in my opinion.

brp2z
02-27-2009, 09:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y1LivlXei0

thats a dual outlet flowmaster on a 4.3 v6
its a bigger engine
but still that good old 90degree gm v6

SCREECH
02-27-2009, 10:25 PM
Ok, here's my take on the whole "dual exhaust" thingy. Obviously doing true duals would be a great undertaking because of the setup of the chassis. Even for an F-body they don't have TRUE duals. I have seen one F-body that did have true duals and it was TIGHT and awkward looking under the car. Hated it. The best way, which I think was alluded to above, would be to upgrade the whole system to a single larger pipe with either a larger dual outlet F-body muffler (for wagons, see below), or two mufflers tucked up between the quarter panel and spare tire well for coupes and sedans.

I put the F-body muffler on my '90 Euro wagon, but never brought the tips right out behind the back wheels as I had planned on before I pulled the drivetrain and ultimately scrapped the car. Here's pics:

http://screech.ws/miscpics/90euro/exhaust1.jpg

http://screech.ws/miscpics/90euro/exhaust2.jpg

http://screech.ws/miscpics/90euro/exhaust3.jpg

Obviously, the wagons have the advantage of having the large space under the third seat/cargo area, WITH a heat shield, since this is the stock location for the muffler as the system has a single left side outlet. It's easy to tuck an F-body muffler up there as the inlet will even be in the correct position to mate up to the existing pipe that goes over the rear axle. Putting the two "tails" out the sides right behind the rear wheels (much like the mid '80s G-body style) would look quite good, in my opinion.

For a coupe or sedan, as was brought out, things are a bit different. I would like to have a dual outlet setup on my '89 Ciera coupe, and what I'm thinking of doing is as follows: install a larger pipe from the exhaust manifold back to the pipe that goes over the rear axle, perhaps a 2.5" pipe, depending on whatever stock size is; once the larger pipe clears the rear axle, put a "Y" connector at that location, running a 1.5" or 2" pipe to each muffler, the right being in the stock location, the left being on the left side, mounted the same as the stock location on the right. Hopefully my wording is easy enough to follow. Here's basically the path I'm talking about:

http://screech.ws/miscpics/82-96a/coupe-sedan_dual_exhaust01.jpg

So perhaps shorter style mufflers migth need to be used on each side, I'm not sure. I'll be able to measure things up once I get cracking on my International.

cutlassburnin
02-28-2009, 12:24 PM
here another option..but the way this guy did it it sound like crap in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qewuqL6ip1c

The Mad Hatter
02-28-2009, 03:23 PM
For a coupe or sedan, as was brought out, things are a bit different. I would like to have a dual outlet setup on my '89 Ciera coupe, and what I'm thinking of doing is as follows: install a larger pipe from the exhaust manifold back to the pipe that goes over the rear axle, perhaps a 2.5" pipe, depending on whatever stock size is; once the larger pipe clears the rear axle, put a "Y" connector at that location, running a 1.5" or 2" pipe to each muffler, the right being in the stock location, the left being on the left side, mounted the same as the stock location on the right. Hopefully my wording is easy enough to follow. Here's basically the path I'm talking about:

http://screech.ws/miscpics/82-96a/coupe-sedan_dual_exhaust01.jpg

So perhaps shorter style mufflers migth need to be used on each side, I'm not sure. I'll be able to measure things up once I get cracking on my International.

Screech, I'm on board with that way of doing it. That has been the plan for my Eurosport. I'm not sure if shorter mufflers need to be used, but it couldn't hurt to, since it will give you a little more space to work with. I hope to get on that soon, but the weather refuses to cooperate!

LordDurock
02-28-2009, 04:34 PM
a noughter random though is there is the at hum in the rear cradle wtih space between the sway bar and the cradle (were the steering rack is)
i post this pict a few time but notice the front header look like it was designed to go though that hole or under it any ways.........(there is no room between the oil pan nad the sub frame for it to go that way

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb167/lorddurock/v6tuned43deisel.jpg

cjkeisker
03-15-2009, 12:57 AM
here another option..but the way this guy did it it sound like crap in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qewuqL6ip1c

Thats my car!! In case u cant tell I had a coil out at the time.So yeah, it does sound like s**t

cutlassburnin
03-15-2009, 03:23 AM
haha explains that

a-bodytunerfan9203
10-26-2013, 06:00 AM
idk what it is but the buick century looks like it should be a lowrider/classic car. It has to have the dual exhaust. The ciera in my mind, looks more sporty.

I dunno, the Century coupe looks kinda sporty, actually, at least the 1990s models, anyways. A 1989 or 1990 Century coupe could actually look pretty nice in flat black paint with silver racing stripes on top, along with blacked out chrome and stripping of insignia, and black muscle-style rims. Just my opinion though.

Would sound pretty sweet with dual glasspacks too, and of course a turbo, an upgraded transaxle, and upgraded sparkplugs on the 3300 V6 would help with performance too.

Kristopher Gerbracht
10-26-2013, 05:46 PM
To Borderman88:

In my drive from WA to CA, I lost the back half of my exhaust system. Fortunately, the sound is very tolerable. What I was considering is to install dual headers connected to dual exhaust. In reading the post, I get that it is quiet a challenge to do so. I would ditch the convertor, though I do not know if it is legal in CA. Any suggestions?

Kristopher

Century7667
11-02-2013, 11:57 AM
To Borderman88:

In my drive from WA to CA, I lost the back half of my exhaust system. Fortunately, the sound is very tolerable. What I was considering is to install dual headers connected to dual exhaust. In reading the post, I get that it is quiet a challenge to do so. I would ditch the convertor, though I do not know if it is legal in CA. Any suggestions?

Kristopher

I got a hole in my muffler; actually sounds good. I'm sure it will get flagged by inspection eventually, so I'll need to replace it. But, I'm used to the nice exhaust note. <sigh> Anyone have a good suggestion on a nice performance muffler for the 60 degree V6.

Ken T.

86euro
11-11-2013, 11:21 PM
I got a hole in my muffler; actually sounds good. I'm sure it will get flagged by inspection eventually, so I'll need to replace it. But, I'm used to the nice exhaust note. <sigh> Anyone have a good suggestion on a nice performance muffler for the 60 degree V6.

Ken T.

I really like the Thrush super turbo (not the regular one... it sounds stock). It's throaty without any goofy raspy noises, I've got a lot of compliments over the years. If the convertor is hollow or aftermarket, there is a chance of having some minor rasp though.

Century7667
11-13-2013, 10:19 PM
Sounds good to me (no pun intended). Still have a cat, as this car is subjected to tailpipe testing every year.

You wouldn't happen to know the size of pipe that's used in the V6 a-body cars, would you?

Thanks!
Ken T.

thesam1984
11-14-2013, 07:05 AM
From what I have deduced they are 2.25 in. I measured the pipe where the muffler used to be... now mine is a 1990 3.3/3-speed but i would imagine it should be the same. I am actually going to try to cut the cat out tomorrow or the next day. Found a shop that will put a strait pipe for $60 bucks

Century7667
11-20-2013, 11:51 PM
I gotta pass smog, so I need to keep things close to stock. Really like the sound she's got now. Sounds more Pontiac than Buick these days.... except it's a Chevy motor. ;-)

Ray_McAvoy
11-21-2013, 05:21 PM
You wouldn't happen to know the size of pipe that's used in the V6 a-body cars, would you?

From what I have deduced they are 2.25 in. I measured the pipe where the muffler used to be... now mine is a 1990 3.3/3-speed but i would imagine it should be the same.

I agree ... most of the V6 A-body cars have a 2.25" exhaust pipe. However, I believe they downsized to a 2" pipe on the 1994-1996 sedans with the 3100. They stayed with a 2.25" pipe on the 94-96 wagons though.

If you have a sedan with the 2" pipe and you want to upgrade to the 2.25" pipe, I think one meant for a 1993 sedan w/3.3L will be a direct bolt-on ... they take the same part # gasket at the 4-bolt flange at the back of the converter and use the same part # hanger midway of the pipe. The 1992 & older pipes take a different hanger.

cody1234
08-19-2015, 10:24 PM
My carbed celebrity when i got it had no cat so she was loud. It was awesome. Couldnt hear anything but woah. I like v6 and v8 rumbly sound. Thing that i dont get is that i have straight pipe with a glasspack and it sounds retarded. It sounded better with absolutely nothing

Kristopher Gerbracht
08-21-2015, 05:51 PM
It would be real nice if we had a photograph of what the dual exhaust would look like.

cody1234
08-24-2015, 12:48 AM
Just throwing this out there.. Has anybody seen a 1981 citation x11 exhaust? I saw one. The front pipe went under the engine close to the passenger side. Could the a body just use that manifold and pipe then custom the way back?

cody1234
08-24-2015, 01:12 AM
I think i figured it out. For the 2.8. If its carbureted model. Im not sure about others. But if its the old carb model. If you change the pully system and belts and stuff to that of the high output citation. Basically putting the alternator where the air conditioner is. And the ac to where the alternator is. Or. If you dont have ac. Then nothing needs done. Alternator is smaller. And i guess lets room for that exhaust pipe. I dont know if the oilpan is any different or anything. But there is.. And or. Was a 81 x11 at the parts yard a while back and i looked at that i was tempted to put on my celebrity. Tuned exhaust from the factory.

cody1234
08-24-2015, 01:13 AM
They do join together b4 the cat. And its 1 pipe the rest of the way. But i would think this setup is easier to mod.

1987 Black VR wagon Fam
08-24-2015, 02:12 PM
Ok, since the 81 x11 came up, I used to have one. Yes exhaust goes under the oil pan and connects before the cat via a y pipe. GM discontinued it because of concerns of overheating the oil (personally never had this problem).
The oil pan is definitely different as well as the gaskets . That was my big issue, all 81 gaskets suck. On the plus side, that exhaust (with single pipe) was good for a bonus 15hp.

AuSSenseiter

cody1234
08-27-2015, 02:56 AM
So. Since the oil pan is different i suppose you cannot just bolt on the citation pipes? Are you sure gaskets are different? I would have figured the block was the same. But i never checked it out much

1987 Black VR wagon Fam
08-27-2015, 12:14 PM
Direct bolt on, no. The gaskets are definitely different, go to your favorite parts place and ask to see the gaskets for an 81 citation x11, an 85 celebrity, and a 86 fiero. Then, check the differences between the cork and rubber gaskets. You will be very surprised.

Something I forgot to mention, to get the extra 15hp, you gotta use the H.O. heads. Those are easy enough to find, just get a set of FI iron heads.

AuSSenseiter