PDA

View Full Version : ECU, Coil Packs, ICM

ochy38
03-07-2009, 08:04 PM
(OOPS, title meant to be ECM)

I have an ECM out of a convertable cavalier w/ a 2.8l. I swapped mine initially to try to diagnose a problem, and left it in there for maybe 5,000 miles. It worked fine in my '89 celebrity EXCEPT that the a/c compressor wouldn't come on and the radiator fan wouldn't either. It is possible that the a/c and fan signals are just on a different pin, but i'm not sure. I'm just offering it up here in case anyone is interested, PM me an offer if interested.

I also have the three original coil packs out of my 2.8l. I changed them trying to diagnose a problem and it ended up that they were not the problem. I tested them a while back and they were fine, just dont remember the readings off the top of my head. PM me an offer and we'll discuss.

Last, but not least, I have the original ignition control module off of my 2.8l. When trying to diagnose the aforementioned issue, my new coils and ICM came together. I have not tested this, but the car ran completely fine with it so im assuming its fine. Again, PM me an offer and we'll discuss.

If no takers in the next couple days, they'll be going on eBay.

85_Ciera_Rebuild
03-07-2009, 08:37 PM
ECM out of a ..cavalier w/ a 2.8l....worked fine in my '89 celebrity EXCEPT that the a/c compressor wouldn't come on and the radiator fan wouldn't either.

I also have the three original coil packs out of my 2.8l.

Last, but not least, I have the original ignition control module off of my 2.8l.

If no takers in the next couple days, they'll be going on eBay.

It might have been your temp sending unit. AC-Switch, relay to fan, or ECM was not sending out current to fan relay.

BTW, I have no idea what these fit....

ECM
Coil Pack
Ignition CM -

I have a 88 Beretta 2.8, but it appears your parts might be different...pictures tell more

ochy38
03-07-2009, 08:45 PM
everything is out of an 89 celebrity with a 2.8l, minus the ECM but it fits. I will get pictures later.

BTW, with the ECM i put my original one back in and the a/c and rad fan worked fine, so its definately a ECM-related issue. Someone else mentioned to me (believe it was turbokinetic) that they had the same problem and it was just the signal got changed to a different pin for whatever model ECM they put in, but i do believe it was a different engine then i have.

T5258
03-08-2009, 12:17 PM
is there a part number on the ECM??

85_Ciera_Rebuild
03-09-2009, 02:07 AM
is there a part number on the ECM??

Yea....

Here's some applications for that ECM

* 1987 2.0 L4 TBI “1” LL8
* 1988 2.0 L4 TBI “1” LL8 (early)
* 1987-89 2.8 V6 PFI “W” LB6 (exc. “W” body)
* 1988-94 3.1 V6 PFI “T” LH0 (exc. “W” body)
* 1990-92 5.0 V8 TPI “F” LB9
* 1990-92 5.7 V8 TPI “8” L98 (“F” body)