PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question for you audio guys.

The Mad Hatter
03-15-2009, 06:24 PM
Hey guys. This is a question for my VW. Right now, its got 4 speakers, two in the package shelf, two in the doors. Unfortunately, it feels like all the sound is coming from behind me. I'd like to put some speakers back in the stock locations in the dash, but keep the 4 already there. Do i HAVE to get an amp to do this? My head unit is just a JVC $90 unit, nothing special. I'm not too good with this audio stuff! Thanks for any help ya'll

Techfizzle
03-15-2009, 07:37 PM
run some 2-3" tweets off your main speakers and place them were they face you. It wont drain your headunit

The Mad Hatter
03-15-2009, 09:44 PM
I'd like to just put some 2 1/4" speaker back in the stock locations. Do i need an amp for that or will it drain the head unit. I can get the power ratings off the speakers and unit if that will help.

Techfizzle
03-16-2009, 01:35 AM
that will help

CieraSL92
03-16-2009, 02:03 AM
Try to match the impedance of the speakers..

Pontiac6ksteawd
03-16-2009, 11:58 PM
Or buy some component speakers, and mount them, the main in the door, and the tweeter component in the dash. Matched impedence, matched speakers for parity and OHM's. And it will sound better because of it.

cutlassburnin
03-18-2009, 02:28 AM
simple fix. adjust the fade on ur h.u.

The Mad Hatter
03-19-2009, 12:45 AM
Try to match the impedance of the speakers..

Sorry, drawing a blank on speaker impedance? :uh:

Or buy some component speakers, and mount them, the main in the door, and the tweeter component in the dash. Matched impedence, matched speakers for parity and OHM's. And it will sound better because of it.

I like the suggestion, but i'm not looking to buy any more speakers. I've got two 2 & 1/4" speakers that i can mount in the stock locations in addition to the other 4 already installed. I'm just trying to find out if that's possible without an amp.

simple fix. adjust the fade on ur h.u.

I wish it were that simple! The 4 speakers in the car are all mounted BEHIND the driver, so even if i adjust to full front, it would still be behind me. The 2 speakers in the door are mounted toward the back of the door, and since its a 2 door, the back of the door is behind the driver's seat.

I'm sorry i haven't gotten back with the power ratings on the speakers and head unit, the VW broke a CV joint the other day and is in the shop. I should get it back tomorrow.

ochy38
03-19-2009, 01:34 AM
Sorry, drawing a blank on speaker impedance? :uh:

Im not EXACTLY what it is, i used to know but i dont buy speakers enough to remember exactly what it is. However I do know that it is listed on the specifications of each speaker you may be looking to buy. I want to say the lower the better(generally), but DO NOT QUOTE ME ON THAT before doing some research of your own.

I like the suggestion, but i'm not looking to buy any more speakers. I've got two 2 & 1/4" speakers that i can mount in the stock locations in addition to the other 4 already installed. I'm just trying to find out if that's possible without an amp.

technically, you could. However, it really isnt recommended. It will make the speakers run quieter because of the extra draw on power. you could jump them off of the speakers in the door, though, and put the fade closer to the front of the car. It probably wouldn't hurt anything, but I think what im about to suggest is a better answer.

What i would recommend is trying to disconnect the speakers in the door all together and run the wiring up to the dash speakers, if your trying to prevent installing an amp. It wouldnt make much sense to have the wire run all the way to the door just to come back to the dash, so a little bit of work should be done in that case but nothing extraordinarily hard. I would try this first and if you like the way it sounds... then no extra money to be spent. if your going for an all out crazy system, then an amp is the only answer, but for basics this may work ok.

The Mad Hatter
03-19-2009, 03:22 AM
I
technically, you could. However, it really isnt recommended. It will make the speakers run quieter because of the extra draw on power. you could jump them off of the speakers in the door, though, and put the fade closer to the front of the car. It probably wouldn't hurt anything, but I think what im about to suggest is a better answer.

What i would recommend is trying to disconnect the speakers in the door all together and run the wiring up to the dash speakers, if your trying to prevent installing an amp. It wouldnt make much sense to have the wire run all the way to the door just to come back to the dash, so a little bit of work should be done in that case but nothing extraordinarily hard. I would try this first and if you like the way it sounds... then no extra money to be spent. if your going for an all out crazy system, then an amp is the only answer, but for basics this may work ok.

Thanks for the suggestion ochy. The door panels were cut to install the speakers, so removing them would leave a hole. The door speakers are wired from the dash speaker location out to the doors, so i could easily wire them in series. My setup is just basic, the VW is just a commuter, nothing special needed. Thanks for all the help guys!