PDA

View Full Version : Us celeb owners deserve a little respect

ochy38
03-16-2009, 10:56 PM
Everything you see here (pictures, links, every EBAY or craigslist find) is basically ALWAYS Ciera, Century, or 6000 based.

So, heres a little something for us horrifically disrespected celebrity owners (im obviously joking about that)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___85-CHEVY-CELEBRITY-NO-RESERVE-LOW-MILES-MUST-SEE_W0QQitemZ250390514848QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20Trucks QQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=i tem250390514848&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A317%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Tuddi
03-16-2009, 11:33 PM
Almost looks as new. I would like to have it as a spareparts car for me... I would move the license plates from mine over to this one, and call it a day.

The Mad Hatter
03-16-2009, 11:57 PM
YEAH! What's up with the Celeb being the forgotten sibling!

I KID of course! That's a classy looking Celeb, but the pictures could be better.

notsoslimshady76
03-17-2009, 02:42 AM
Too many "!" for one auction

a1veedubber
03-17-2009, 03:10 AM
I just bought a virtual twin to this car today for my wife to drive. Same year, color, almost everything. The only difference is that it has the metal hubcaps, a 2.5 & it is a CL.

Techfizzle
03-17-2009, 03:55 AM
im sorry but the celebrity is just ugly looking in my honest opinion. It looks like when gm was designing the new a-body platform they didnt put much heart into the celebrity. It just looks too much like a little old lady's car from the seventies. my brother had one and it was green inside and out and was just made you sick to look at it. the dash also looks verry simple and has no contour lines and buttons like the other a-bodys. sorry chevrolet celebrity, no one likes you

Tuddi
03-17-2009, 04:28 AM
How can you utter such mean words from your mouth?

Celebrities are very nice... I should know, since I have 2. I agree that the dashboard is something that could have been done a LOT better design and function-wise. It's plain simple and ugly. Front seats could also have been better designed and more comfy, but this was made as a mass-produced vehicle, with the working-middle-class as the primary client-base. You paid for a Celebrity, you got Celebrity, and not a Mercedes. Anyone who doesn't understand the logic of that... needs to do some serious studies of more than the contents of an empty beer can.

Those were never ever made to be the most luxurious or most powerful or the best looking or best feeling cars ever made.... which is also why they became the most sold vehicles in the US back in 1986, with other years doing very well production wise.

You get what you pay for... at least it used to be like that. Today you may pay for a Mercedes, but only get a Ford....

CamoDeafie
03-17-2009, 04:49 AM
i thought that if i paid for a mercedes, i'd get a chrysler??? ;) :P lol

and celebrities were supposed to be the next down size from the Caprice/El Camino, which shared many of the styling cues, and the first gen Cavaliers were the smallest with the same style grille/headlight style.....though obviously smaller....:)

cadaver
03-17-2009, 04:52 AM
Personally, I think the Celebs were really good looking cars.
Id love to have one, they're just hard to find around here..

CamoDeafie
03-17-2009, 04:53 AM
oh yeah, addenum, does anyone have a scan or a copy of the very old ad that shows a nice silver/gray 1982 Celebrity coupe with the full chrome front bumper and no plastic bumper cover ends, and rally style steelies?? I SO want to find THAT one.....:)

white89euro
03-17-2009, 05:01 AM
im sorry but the celebrity is just ugly looking in my honest opinion. It looks like when gm was designing the new a-body platform they didnt put much heart into the celebrity. It just looks too much like a little old lady's car from the seventies. my brother had one and it was green inside and out and was just made you sick to look at it. the dash also looks verry simple and has no contour lines and buttons like the other a-bodys. sorry chevrolet celebrity, no one likes you

My friend, that so-called "ugly" car was none other than a FERN GREEN Celebrity, the rarest and most sought after Celebrity ever made. If it had buckets and floor shifter it was even rarer. Check out the yahoo board for Chevy Celebrity Club of America. They can't get enough of the FERN GREEN Celebrity sightings!

Techfizzle
03-17-2009, 05:19 AM
it was fern green alright lol
i think the coolest a's are the 6000's with the digital dash

ochy38
03-17-2009, 05:36 AM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the way celebrities were designed. Exterior was simple and with a couple of tweaks can look great. Best backend out of all the a-bods IMO. Interior again is simple but gets the job done, and there is nothing cooler than the square gauges that have lights shining on them rather than being backlit.

a1veedubber
03-17-2009, 07:46 AM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the way celebrities were designed. Exterior was simple and with a couple of tweaks can look great. Best backend out of all the a-bods IMO. Interior again is simple but gets the job done, and there is nothing cooler than the square gauges that have lights shining on them rather than being backlit.

I agree completely! I also like the 86 Euro front the best....I love the black around the four separate headlamps. Also, I *think* the Celebrity was the last Chevrolet with the old-school rectangular speedometer. Even the Caprice had a circular one by the mid eighties!

Techfizzle
03-17-2009, 12:57 PM
than the square gauges that have lights shining on them rather than being backlit.
show me a pic of that

RIPBARNBURNER
03-17-2009, 06:41 PM

:slap:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the way celebrities were designed. and there is nothing cooler than the square gauges that have lights shining on them rather than being backlit.

:cheers: damn straight

Tuddi
03-17-2009, 08:04 PM
I like the overall design of the Celebs, but as I said: The dashboard is not the best design. (Of course that is only my opinion... just like some people liking chocolate milkshake, while others like vanilla milkshake)

I don't have a problem with the dash meters... those are functional and do their job... even though the fuel meter is somewhat inaccurate... the top half of the tank is more like 3/4, which explains why the bottom half is used up so quickly. The speedo should have had a wider range... for instance in the US models it only shows up to 85 MPH, while the cars can go faster. Clearly a bad decision by the designers. My main issue with the dash is the plastic/foam parts. Heat/sunlight twists and warps it over the years. And then it squirks and both feels and looks cheap. But it is not a major issue for me. I will rebuild the dash, and only have myself to blame if I don't do it nicely.

The back end of the pre-86 celebs is in my opinion the best looking rear end of the a-bodies. The front grille of pre-86 was generally good (headlights, signal lights and the fiberglass front extending from the hood to the grille). But I would have liked it with the grille from 86 better:

http://upload.hraunfjord.org/files/ComboGrille.jpg

Yes... either all the parts chromed, or all the parts in black... not this photoshopped mis-match.

What I don't like about the 86 front, is the sloping/soft lined fiberglass part... it's too soft compared to the otherwise straight lines of the car.... but it was a fist step towards the more soft-lined future productions of the time.

Prospeeder
03-17-2009, 09:26 PM
I almost bought a celeb wagon lol. You cant say a Eurosport or a VR arnt cool. The base model 6000's and cieras were nothing to look at, but the up models of each were nice.

cutlassburnin
03-17-2009, 10:28 PM
I do like the square tail of the celebs the best, kind of retains that " muscle" look, but if i baught one a face lift would be in order..and black would be my only color option. With black leather set of buckets..maybe even a black dash.

ochy38
03-17-2009, 11:26 PM
The speedo should have had a wider range... for instance in the US models it only shows up to 85 MPH, while the cars can go faster. Clearly a bad decision by the designers.

It was that way because of a law passed in the U.S. I guess the people in charge of the country thought that if speedo's only went up to 85 people wouldn't try to drive faster than that. all the vehicles in america were this way back then.

Prospeeder
03-18-2009, 12:35 AM
i noticed 85 mph was the standard, even the Turbo GNX has a 85mph speedo

white89euro
03-18-2009, 01:47 AM
I like the Celebrity best too. Probably because I own one :)

I understand the Celebrity was the first A-body designed by GM, and that's also why in 1984 the other A-body wagons had the exact same quarter panels (and I think rear doors too) as the Celebrity.

Cleanest styling and sportiest too has to be the Celebrity in any configuration. Next best are the two-door sport coupes by Buick and Olds - not the early ones but the ones introduced in about 1986 or 1987 (I think).

Next I like the 6000 STE. Gorgeous styling.

George

George

Tuddi
03-18-2009, 02:33 AM
Too many "!" for one auction

Only 62 of them.

85_Ciera_Rebuild
03-18-2009, 03:20 AM
Everything you see here (pictures, links, every EBAY or craigslist find) is basically ALWAYS Ciera, Century, or 6000 based.

Another looser with wrong caption:

1985 Chevrolet Caprice SEDAN 4 DR

LordDurock
03-18-2009, 03:26 AM
good looking car. i've always love how the trunk deck and rear lights look on the clebs. i like that rounded rear of the trunk deck

Duke George V
03-19-2009, 03:50 AM
Base model is base.

It's in excellent condition, but the price is way too high. I doubt it'll sell.