PDA

View Full Version : 1986 6000 ste

Oklahoma
04-09-2009, 01:29 AM
http://www.a-body.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1882
Well, I got the engine back together today and the car wouldn't quite start, so I checked spark-good, checked fuel-good, checked timing-good, decided to check compression... and sure enough, the #2 cylinder was at only 30 psi dry, 120 psi like the others when oil was added. I can't beleive I just assumed it was a bad valve and went ahead and rebuilt the whole top end without at least performing this test on the piston rings to start with, but live and learn I guess. I have yet to get the car started (I'm completely stuck on this one, but I'm sure it's something minor). Refer to the above thread for information about the car, but basically the only problems other than the engine are the dull paint and the rear windows that don't roll down. The A/C system is reassembled but I haven't charged it yet, and I have the new ERC compressor and air shocks but they are not installed. I live north of Atlanta, Georgia and if anyone is interested let me know.

Oklahoma
04-10-2009, 12:51 PM
On second thought, what if I parted the car out? I know I can get about $300 for the rebuilt high output heads alone. I would probably keep the STE alloys for my Ciera because the tires are almost new, although I already have two sets of almost new tires on that car including the current ones. Is there anything else on that car that would bring in any money on eBay? Would anybody here want anything? What about the radio?

Duke George V
04-10-2009, 11:35 PM
The rear brakes are desired here for drum-to-disc conversions, because they're pre-ABS. I'm sure someone would be interested.

86euro
04-11-2009, 01:39 AM
Just wondering, how do you know you can get $300 out of the heads? Unless you already have a buyer, I don't see that as being realistic.

And there is basically no difference between the ABS and non-ABS rear disc setups.

T5258
04-11-2009, 04:15 PM
looking at my info, 86 HAS abs, 1st year for it....code JL9 & JM4.....

Oklahoma
04-13-2009, 01:00 AM
My car doesn't have ABS, not all '86 STEs did. As for the heads, I was looking at buying a rebuilt high output pair and the cheapest I could find them was $350, so I figured I could get somewhere around $300.

Pontiac6ksteawd
04-13-2009, 01:40 AM
Befor you run down this route, I would suggest continuing into trying to get it started. If the hydraulic lifters arent right, then it can cause a compression drop. I dont understand how, but I know it can. happened to a freinds grand prix, after doing a top swap, had really low compression on one cylinder. After he got it running, and drove it for about 500 miles. he rechecked the compression, and it was spot on to the other cylinders. The closest thing we could come up with is there wasnt enough fluid in the tappet, or, the rings were set in a spot where the spacial gaps all lined up. Either way, keep trying befor giving up on the ghost.

BBrip84Oatsie95
04-13-2009, 01:44 AM
Yes... Don't give up!

Oklahoma
04-13-2009, 02:05 AM
Yeah, I considered lifters, but if it was one of them then the car wouldn't have good compression with oil poured in the cylinder. I think it's about gotta be worn rings/bore. I spent a day and a half trying to start it with no progress whatsoever, so I can't even force myself to keep trying. It's got spark, got fuel, I've got the timing as perfect as I can get it without a light, and the compression is 'good enough to start'. Everything (vacuum/electric) is plugged in in its proper place. I've never been more mystified. I really REALLY like the car and haven't completely ruled out putting a good used short block in it... but at the moment it looks like I will most likely part it out. Would it be easy for me to put the radio in my Ciera?

Pontiac6ksteawd
04-13-2009, 02:07 AM
I could probly get you a running and driving 86 Celebrity with the HO engine. Theres one for sale local, its rusted out, but the engine runs right. It even has the rare JA2 Celebrity wheels.

Oklahoma
04-13-2009, 02:14 AM
That's the kind of thing I would consider doing if I had the space, but I don't. I'm in high school and I'll be at college this fall so it will be a few years until I have my own place and have the room I would like to tinker around with these cars; I'm lucky enough my parents let me keep my Ciera and my 'extra' 6000 in the driveway.

Pontiac6ksteawd
04-13-2009, 02:31 AM
Yea, but if you only have it for a day or 2 until you drop the engine/cradle, and send the rest to the yard, just so you could get the one in the driveway running, they might be up for it..

The Mad Hatter
04-14-2009, 12:05 AM
Oklahoma, if you are interested in selling the whole car still, shoot me a PM. I'd be interested!