PDA

View Full Version : trunk actuator

Tonglebeak
11-03-2007, 07:36 PM
So I got the trunk actuator from dcj today. Switch also.

Do I hook up the orange wire to the switch? I believe that's the one that always has 12v running through it...

Then do I run just one wire all the way back to the actuator? I noticed the actuator's harness does not have a ground...how will the circuit be completed?

86euro
11-03-2007, 09:16 PM
The solenoid is self-grounding.
Orange 12v > Switch > Black wire > Solenoid

Tonglebeak
11-03-2007, 09:22 PM
K. I can just splice into any orange correct? I was planning on perhaps mounting the switch next to the power seat controls, and those use the constant 12v I believe.

86euro
11-03-2007, 09:33 PM
If you do hook it up to constant power, as opposed to switched, make sure you put the switch somewhere that it can't be bumped on accident while you're driving down the road.

Tonglebeak
11-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Yeah, the power seat controls are out of the way and can't be accidentally bumped.

Jr's3800
11-04-2007, 04:04 PM
How about this... Do you have a 12v Ignition switched? That way no one would be able to open the trunk when the car is off....

Or you could have a 12v constant, wired with a relay so that when the ignition switched off the trunk will function but can't be accidentally opened while the ignition is on...

Here is an odd example for you..

When I decided to add a factory Keyless system to my Bonneville, I got the Module from a 94 S10 Blazer LT... It ended up being that the Park switch inputs were different and this prevented me from using the circuit to lock out the trunk or hatch release... So I simply added a Relay to an ignition switched circuit, this way when the ignition is on there is no possibility of me hitting the Trunk release on the FOB and having the Solenoid actuate...

Turn the ignition off and the Trunk release function on the keyless system functions like it should...

Good Luck.... Sorry for being off topic:)

Tonglebeak
11-04-2007, 06:40 PM
Surprisingly enough, there's nothing in the service manual that says how to mount/unmount the solenoid.

X_X

86euro
11-04-2007, 09:55 PM
It mounts to the latch with one of the current latch mounting bolts and a second (corse thread) bolt that threads into the latch.

dcjredline
11-05-2007, 01:05 PM
I am pretty sure I included both bolts to mount it. I can try to get a picture of one of the STE's for ya if you need.

The little finger on the actuator has to go into the mechanisim and the 2 bolts line up with the 2 holes in the trunk already.

Jr's3800
11-05-2007, 09:25 PM
If you need the Wiring schematic let me know

bob
11-08-2007, 07:08 PM
Guess what... I got an actuator and button from junk yard, and wires where there waiting for me. The black wire took a little looking but it was there.

A black and a lite green under the dash near the glove compartment also a hole for the button.

And a black wire where the actuator goes on trunk lid.

Lite green wire is hot with ignition "on" and transaxle in park OR N.

1994 ciera.
Bob

dcjredline
11-08-2007, 07:28 PM
You must read the whole post before posting your "new" information.

He is trying to mount the switch somewhere OTHER than in the glove box. WE have already told him the wires are there in the back of the car but he is confused as to how the solenoid actually mounts to the car.

ochy38
11-08-2007, 07:48 PM
i just wired one of these to my car.. its the whole assembly im assuming? i just removed my existing latch and put the latch/solenoid combo in the same exact holes with no problems whatsoever. also grabbed a switch out of an old cavalier i believe and mounted it next to my light switch

edit: exactly what dcj said didnt see his post before

Tonglebeak
11-09-2007, 02:23 AM
That's where I misunderstood. I didn't realize the existing latch had to be taken off.

dcjredline
11-09-2007, 03:14 AM
NOOOOOOO! Not in your case. He must have taken the whole latch. The actuator mounts ONTO the existing latch already. I thought he was going to confuse you.

I gotta get a picture of this for you so you understand.

ochy38
11-09-2007, 11:29 AM
sorry!

dcjredline
11-09-2007, 11:51 AM
I wasnt yelling either I was more doing the No scene in movies. The long drawn out NOOO dont go kinda no. LOL

I know you didnt mean to confuse him and you also didnt know that the latch isnt on his actuator. I'll try to get you a picture Tongle soon.

Tuddi
11-12-2007, 02:12 AM
Hope this can be of help. Took those today when checking out the Eurosport. Thought it might come in handy.

First one is taken from the outside and right into the locking mechanism, the second one is taken from inside the trunk and out towards the locking mechanism.

http://upload.hraunfjord.org/files/Eurosport10thOfNov2007Small16.jpg
http://upload.hraunfjord.org/files/Eurosport10thOfNov2007Small17.jpg

86euro
11-12-2007, 03:47 AM
For some reason, that setup looks a little different than all of mine:confused:

dcjredline
11-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Thats the only set up I have EVER seen as far as 80's - early 90's GM I've seen

THANKS TUDDI!

86euro
11-13-2007, 01:10 AM
I was wrong, mine are identical to that (I actually took the time to look).

Tuddi
11-13-2007, 02:07 AM
(I actually took the time to look).

Sometimes that does help :eek:

Tuddi
11-20-2007, 12:34 AM
Now that I have installed the solenoid in my trunk, I think I know what may have confused you Tonglebeak.

I'm sure you have solved this a long time ago, but just in case others want to put solenoids on their trunks and get the same "problem", the following pictures might help.

A vehicle born without the solenoid looks like this:

1. This is where the lever of the solenoid is supposed to go in.
2. This is where the axle of the solenoid lever goes in.
3. This is where you mount the solenoid to the latch.

http://upload.hraunfjord.org/files/TrunkSolenoid1.jpg

Yes, the hole for the solenoid lever is closed, so nothing will fit there, unless you "virginize" it.

http://upload.hraunfjord.org/files/TrunkSolenoid2.jpg

4. Put a screwdriver in the small opening, put it under the metal piece that closes the hole and twist the screwdriver. The "chad" should break away in one side at least.

http://upload.hraunfjord.org/files/TrunkSolenoid3.jpg

5. You should be able to jerk the metal piece off with your fingers, or by using a plier. (Now, it looks very much like a hanging chad on a ballot from the 2000 Florida re-re-re-count)

http://upload.hraunfjord.org/files/TrunkSolenoid4.jpg

6. Ideal placement of the button down to the left of the steeringwheel column, since it is close to the powersource you'll need, and it's not going to be in your way so you won't be popping the trunk accidentally.

7. (note to self) Time to clean the interior of the car properly....

dcjredline
11-20-2007, 03:44 AM
Nice install and write up. I think we should make this a sticky. I have never had to break that "chad" off before but it worked out fine anyway! Thanks for posting it.

Tonglebeak
11-20-2007, 11:55 PM
I actually forgot about this and haven't done anything!

I took notice there IS a factory hole in the glovebox, and behind it is green wires with a black stripe and blah blah :)

Tuddi
11-21-2007, 12:46 AM
If you find similar colored wires in your trunk (or under the back seat's driver's side where the cable channel ends), you should check with your multimeter (set on ohm) to make sure it's THE wire). It's straight forward to insert a new wire though, so don't worry if there isn't one pre-installed for you. It took me around 1 hour to install the solenoid and hook it up with power and put in the button (modified an old irregular and ugly hand-cut hole in the shield under the dash). I had to put in a new wire from down under the dash and all the way to the solenoid in the back. All you need is a screwdriver, plastic fastening straps, electrical tape, wire connectors for the release button and the solenoid, time and peace to do what you have to do, and that's it. The actual time I put into this was actually longer, because the cable channel was loose, and the metal fasteners that are in the floor and hold the handbrake cable, were all broken loose. Quite some time went into fixing those... and then I took note of my note to self, and removed the covers from the back seat... discovering the original covers being under the cover I thought was the original one... took the original one off too and now I have washed the whole bunch.

22 years without being washed DOES accumulate a whole lot of dirt... even though there was the "new" cover to cover up the old dirt.... it was amazing how dirty the water from the washing machine was after the first 2 times I washed the covers. Absolutely disgusting.

Some of the metal structure in the back seat was broken, so I'll have to have that welded somewhere.

dcjredline
11-21-2007, 03:19 AM
You will have wires in the glove box and they are the correct colors. The one in the trunk is usually tucked in between the 2 pieces of metal. look in one of the holes on the deck lid and you should see it clipped in there it should be black.

Tuddi
11-21-2007, 11:02 PM
Ok, I have figured out how I'm going to handle the hood solenoid project. Hopefully I will have it installed and functioning tomorrow. It's something everyone should be able to copycat for their rides as well.

Yes, I will take pictures and try to make it relatively easy to understand.

mickstan_VR
11-22-2007, 05:57 AM
Excellent Tuddi! The how-to looks great! We need more stuff like that.
For your next project.....could you convert a celebrity to all wheel drive? lol

Tuddi
11-22-2007, 02:20 PM
For your next project.....could you convert a celebrity to all wheel drive? lol

Easily doable, but I'd prefer to have a SUV that was born with 4wd rather than convert my celeb into one.

For such a project I'd use parts from Subaru.

mickstan_VR
11-22-2007, 03:07 PM
cool, a celeburu.

Tonglebeak
11-22-2007, 09:39 PM
Tuddi, I looked at the latch today, and you explained it very well. Thanks. I'll try mounting it tomorrow.

BTW, looks like someone already popped my latch's cherry >:(

Tuddi
11-23-2007, 12:45 AM
Thanks.

As I stated yesterday, I hoped to make the hood solenoid project today, but ... today is my wife's birthday... so all I did with the car, was to repair both front-outside door handles. Both had one hinge-pin broken and rattled way too much. The repairs will last for years, but I will buy new handles sooner rather than later.

Hood project will have to be done later... maybe tomorrow if time allows. It's a bit tricky with time lately, because our housemaid got sick and has to get an operation (non-cancerous apple-sized growth in her breast).... so me and wifey have to take care of the house and kids etc.... whereas we are normally free from thinking about cooking, cleaning, washing etc.

Maybe someone will beat me to it, at making a functioning hood solenoid project?

We'll see :)