PDA

View Full Version : changing instrument cluster

kingkandy
04-12-2009, 02:21 PM
can i change my 1990 olds cutlass ciera 3 gauge cluster to the one from my parts car that has a RPM gauge

would it fit with little to no modification

Zaloryan
04-12-2009, 03:09 PM
As long as the full cluster from your donor car is 1989 and newer, they will interchange easily. It's simply plug & play. To swap them out, you need to remove the vent plate. There's two screws at either end of it. Remove the two end vents and the screws are right there. Two more screws are above the ashtray, easy to get to. I think there's one more next to the steering column under the plastic column collar. The collar will pry off with a screwdriver. After you remove the vent plate, just unscrew the instrument/radio bezel with a screwdriver & unbolt the instrument cluster. You will have to take a screwdriver to pry off the gear selector cable from the steering column. Make sure you put it back in place after you bolt in your new gauge cluster.

CieraSL92
04-12-2009, 05:28 PM
Not to hi-jack, but would an easy way to identify 89+ clusters be the speedometer? I _thought_ that pre 89 they only went to 85 on the rally clusters, and 89+ went to 115. Is that correct?

Oklahoma
04-13-2009, 01:03 AM
I've been considering doing this on my '96 Ciera, but I would want to get the odometer correct... is there a way to do that?

kingkandy
04-13-2009, 02:11 AM
As long as the full cluster from your donor car is 1989 and newer, they will interchange easily. It's simply plug & play. To swap them out, you need to remove the vent plate. There's two screws at either end of it. Remove the two end vents and the screws are right there. Two more screws are above the ashtray, easy to get to. I think there's one more next to the steering column under the plastic column collar. The collar will pry off with a screwdriver. After you remove the vent plate, just unscrew the instrument/radio bezel with a screwdriver & unbolt the instrument cluster. You will have to take a screwdriver to pry off the gear selector cable from the steering column. Make sure you put it back in place after you bolt in your new gauge cluster.

thanks
im holding you accountable if this dont work lol

thanks

turbokinetic
04-13-2009, 04:31 AM
I've been considering doing this on my '96 Ciera, but I would want to get the odometer correct... is there a way to do that?

Yes. The odometer on these cars is a simple mechanical device. It can be disasembled and the wheels positioned to whatever you decide. On the older ones, a set of gears from the speedometer cable turns it. On the newer ones, there is a small stepper motor that turns the gears based on the vehicle speed sensor.

Dismantle the cluster, remove the speedometer, and take the mechanism off the back of it. There is a little clip that holds the odometer "reel" shaft in place. With this clip removed, the shaft comes out easily.

When I converted my Century Olympia to electronic speedometer, I set the odometer to the correct milage for the car (since it is a low milage car).

You will need moderate to good mechanical skills as well as good hand - eye coordination because the parts are very small and delicate.

NOTE WELL that for the speedometer to be accurate, you must have the speedometer powered up with 12V when the needle is re-installed. This will make sure it is reading "0" when the speed signal is "0" and all speeds above that are based on the needle being zeroed correctly.

Good luck,
David