PDA

View Full Version : Thanks again, Rhett!

Duke George V
11-05-2007, 03:49 AM
Since I don't have an e-mail address for him, he's never on AIM, and I don't know if he's reregistered here, I'll post this open letter to one of our (possibly former) moderators, Rhett Farnum. This will also serve as a warning to anyone who may consider dealing with him in the future.

Those who were members on the old forums will recall that I bought a 1989 Celebrity wagon from Rhett back in June. It was quite the undertaking in that I had to arrange my vacation from work around it as well as securing a flight to his city, then having enough money for fuel and food to make it back home after paying him. All in all, I spent probably sixteen hundred dollars acquiring this car, then immediately had to put another four hundred into it when I got home for injectors he didn't replace when he rebuilt the engine.

Another problem recently came to light when I heard grinding coming from the LF brakes. Thinking I had eaten up the pads already I took it to a brake shop and hoped I could get away with just new pads and cutting the rotors. Instead I found out that the guide pins on that side were not the proper ones for my car, and that they were incompletely installed, causing the caliper to move and rub against the inside of the wheel every time I applied the brakes, hence the grinding. Upon inspection of the correct bolts from the right side, it was discovered that the sleeves normally present on the bolts were, in fact, not present.

After a bit of brainstorming with the techs, in which I gave them some history of the car (where it came from, what car the engine came from), we postulate that the bolts are from the same Cavalier the engine came from, since JA1 brakes apparently don't have the sleeve, while JA2 does (I have JA2).

If this is true, and I'm hoping it isn't, then it makes me wonder what other shortcuts he may have taken in the reassembly of this car. Rhett, if you happen to read this, please, e-mail me at lordbahamut at hotmail dot com, get me on AIM, get in touch with me in some way, so that my mind may be put at ease. Please, tell me you didn't try to kill me by using the wrong ****ing bolts. Tell me it was a mistake or oversight. Tell me you're not an inept moron that should never be allowed near another person's vehicle again.

In a tangentially-related subject, I also found that the LR wheel cylinder was shot, and probably has been since before I got the car.

Thanks again, Rhett. Your car is the gift that keeps on giving. http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e302/leftventricle/emotes/emot-waycool.gif

Tonglebeak
11-05-2007, 04:36 AM
Sorry to interrupt, but seeing the thread title with the thumbs up made me laugh my ass off. I knew this would be a good read after seeing that.

Tuddi
11-05-2007, 05:22 AM
....that should never be allowed near another person's vehicle again.

Yikes... :eek:

.... but at the time the car was his... so maybe he shouldn't be allowed near his own vehicles ever again?:rolleyes:

dcjredline
11-05-2007, 01:00 PM
I too knew what was coming. Sorry to hear all this DUKE. Damn that sucks.

Duke George V
11-06-2007, 12:08 AM
Sorry to interrupt, but seeing the thread title with the thumbs up made me laugh my ass off. I knew this would be a good read after seeing that.
I aim to entertain, above all else.

.... but at the time the car was his... so maybe he shouldn't be allowed near his own vehicles ever again?
This too is probably true.

Any recommendations as to what to do? My brother immediately said "lawsuit" and offered the services of his lawyer, but there's a hitch with that involving the shop I took it to. Due to the wheel cylinder being a safety issue, they technically didn't do anything to the car, since I refused the $550 repair bill for all new brakes and wheel cylinder. Since there's no documentation that the bolts were incorrect and were changed, all there is is physical evidence which can be faked, ie a damaged caliper (luckily not damaged functionality though).

So is my only recourse to call him something which will be censored on this board and be done with it? Looks that way. Maybe if he'd reregged I'd ask that he be banned, but...

Burgundy Ciera
11-06-2007, 12:26 AM
Thats a real bummer I remember when that car was up for sale, if I remember correctly he made that car seem like it was the best deal ever. Good Luck...

dcjredline
11-06-2007, 01:10 PM
My feeling is this. I think his lawyer would be an idiot to take the case. There is NO warranty in a used car purchase from an individual. I remember the car being for sale but I DO NOT remember it being advertised as perfect. In that case you bought this car AS IS and should have looked it over MUCH harder if you were going to be so picky about it AFTER.

I am not saying you are wrong here cause he was a member here and IF he was being decietful about the condition then thats HIS BAD.

I think all you can do from here is what you said in your first post. Seems as though you did plenty to his credibility although we are still waiting for an explination of his side.

86euro
11-06-2007, 11:11 PM
I agree, that's just the chance you take when you buy a used car as-is. There's always the chance of buying a car with hidden mechanical/safety issues and lets face it, there's not a lot of trustworthy people left in this world that are going to come out and willingly list off all the problems of the car they're selling. Then there's also the people that are too stupid to realize the car they're selling has been hacked together and they just don't know any better. It's just a big gamble:(

85CieraHoliday
11-11-2007, 04:16 AM
Wow, thats some $h!t. Good luck with the repairs.

Duke George V
11-20-2007, 01:25 AM
My feeling is this. I think his lawyer would be an idiot to take the case. There is NO warranty in a used car purchase from an individual. I remember the car being for sale but I DO NOT remember it being advertised as perfect. In that case you bought this car AS IS and should have looked it over MUCH harder if you were going to be so picky about it AFTER.
I know you're playing the devil's advocate here, so I'll counter you as such. I know all about that. I wasn't expecting a perfect eighteen-year-old car. Such a beast more than likely does not exist. However, my issue lies with the... non-disclosure of things such as this brake problem, or the leaky radiator I can't keep coolant in to save my life, or the slow transmission leak, or the damaged CV boot that puked out all the grease and now grinds if I do any more than granny the throttle off the line, or the afore-mentioned wheel cylinder. These are certainly things I would have liked to know. And it wasn't like I was going to not buy the car once I got there; I bought a one-way plane ticket fully intending to drive it back home, and I did. But really, if you're going to sell a car to a guy that just flew 1500 miles, it's kind of a d!ck move to not tell him about problems the car has.

Incidentally, Rhett registered about a week ago, but he has yet to post here to plead his case.

dcjredline
11-20-2007, 03:33 AM
NO I wasnt trying to be a di%k I just dont see how you could PROVE he knew about any of that. I am very sorry for you and IF he DID know then he is WRONG. If he didnt know then your pretty much out. A lawyer wont take this kind of case there just isnt enough money in it for them. Small claims court you COULD do but I would highly recommend against it.

Slacker
11-20-2007, 08:34 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. I remember back on the old boards when you got back and were complaining about it #%*@ing out on you.

I know you can say that maybe he didn't know, or the car was never listed as "perfect" condition but you'd think someone who was a moderator and knew he'd hear from you again at a website you're a part of wouldn't screw you over like that. You don't screw people over, but most of all, you don't screw over someone you see often.

Shame Shame Shame...