PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a DIESEL Century.....

turbokinetic
04-22-2009, 02:05 AM
I am looking to buy a Century with the 4.3 Diesel engine. Any year is OK as long as it has the 4.3 Diesel engine.

I want this car for a restoration and modification project, similar to my Olympia car.

The car I want MUST meet the following criteria:
The engine must be more-or-less complete, but does not have to run.
The transmission does not matter.
The interior and body must be restorable.
Not be rusted out.

The following would be nice:
Console shift.
Clear title.
Close to Alabama.

If you have a non-running Diesel Century, I would like to consider buying it. I'm looking for a project car that I will keep together and restore, not a parts car; but I would consider any car.

Thanks in advance!
David

davida1@hiwaay.net
205-454-7262

a1veedubber
04-22-2009, 07:19 PM
There is a fern-green Century Diesel coupe at a used car lot near me. It is complete & IIRC it runs ok. It had column shift & digital gauges! IMHO they are asking a bit much....and they have had the car on their lot for two years or more! Not very close to AL though.
I have been thinking of offering them a more reasonable price, but I have so many projects right now.....
*cough*Fizz-coupe*cough*
*cough*VW Cabby*cough*
*cough*Bedsides on Dads truck*cough*
*cough*'57 Chevy panel truck*cough*
Now that I think of it.....I have WAY to much to do. Here is the link-ey :) :

http://www.exiraauto.com/index.php?content=feature&vehicle_id=493

http://www.exiraauto.com/images/large/l493MVC-863S.JPG

86euro
04-23-2009, 12:01 AM
That thing is awesome! Talk about an uncommon option combo!

turbokinetic
04-23-2009, 01:30 AM
Wow, I like that ALOT. Called the guy, and talked to him about the car. Seems like a fairly typical "used car dealer" but hey.

I may actually travel to Iowa to get this car.

Thanks for the tip!
David

a1veedubber
04-23-2009, 03:54 AM
No problem! I would love to see it go to a good home. It is located about 30 minutes west of me, and I went out to look at it last summer. It was pretty darn clean for an Iowa car. The interior was not perfect, but was all there & fairly clean (split bench). The vinyl top has some sun damage, but the car is pretty darn rust free. I didnt open the doors to look for rust in them though....
I like the digital gauges! IIRC this car has them.
Join the Coupe Revolution!!! Viva le Coupe Revolution!! :rock:

edit: I should add that I now only need a Century & a 6000 coupe to complete my collection, but my wife would kill me!

Electra_T_Type
04-24-2009, 05:25 AM
I think the price is pretty fair actually assuming its in good condition, looks pretty nice.

turbokinetic
04-24-2009, 10:48 AM
I think the price is pretty fair actually assuming its in good condition, looks pretty nice.

Yes it does - I agree about the price, too. The price is fair enough for what it is, and for why I want it.

The following comment is directed at an individual at work, not anyone here, but it is worth saying. Some folks are quick to criticize the price of a car like this if it is more than an average car of similar age. Then, they will go and drop 2 grand on something THEY want for a project, toy or hobby, and viciously defend that decision.

One guy smokes 50 cigarettes (2.5 packs) per day, which equates to over $2000 per year at $3 a pack. Then he makes comments about how much money I spend on "stuff."

Oh well, just my two cents worth!

David

a1veedubber
04-24-2009, 01:50 PM
Yes it does - I agree about the price, too. The price is fair enough for what it is, and for why I want it.

I was just thinking that since they've had it so long, they would probably be fairly negotiable on price. 800.00 is a much better price than 1600.00! I would pay 1600.00 for a nice coupe any day of the week though, so who am I kidding?? :rofl:

LordDurock
04-29-2009, 09:22 PM
VERY NICE. to bad im not closer. i'd drive that car any day of the week you should see 30-38mpg in that :)

ochy38
04-30-2009, 04:02 PM
One guy smokes 50 cigarettes (2.5 packs) per day, which equates to over $2000 per year at $3 a pack. Then he makes comments about how much money I spend on "stuff."

Hey now, 3 bucks a pack is nothing. I dont smoke and i am not a fan, but saw the $3 bucks a pack and kinda laughed. Up in NYS the cheapest of the cheap USA GOLDS are like $7.50. Talk about expensive.

turbokinetic
05-01-2009, 05:43 AM
It's a DIESEL...
It's a COUPE...
It's got a DIGITAL DASH...
It's got TURBINE WHEELS...

http://68.209.87.173/85_Century/RoadTrip/iowa.jpg

http://68.209.87.173/85_Century/RoadTrip/intow.jpg

In the upcoming months (probably many months) it will be restored and modified. At this point all I know is that the 4.3 diesel is getting a VGT turbocharger (and supporting modifications).

Got 600 more miles to go!

Later,
David

a1veedubber
05-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Did you think you were going to find a car so quickly when you originally posted your request??

:koolaid:
OH YEAH!

:rock::rock:

turbokinetic
05-02-2009, 07:01 PM
Did you think you were going to find a car so quickly when you originally posted your request??

No! Not at all, and I definately appreciate it. This car is so unusual, it will be a great starting point for a diesel hotrod project. I do appreciate the tip.

Just got home.... long trip!!!!

Left Lafayette, LA on Wednesday morning; made it to Exira, IA Thursday afternoon, and Friday I am home in Northport, AL. That is right at 2000 miles in 3 days, half of it with a car on a dolly behind me and very limited speed. And it rained on me, periodically.

The 3.8 SFI Turbo engine pulled the load without any problems at all. I was a little apprehensive about the hills at first, but there was no problem!

In 4th gear at 62 MPH it has 1800 RPM. Pulling a hill at 7 PSI boost you can "feel" the torque pulling the car along. With the cruise set, the engine speed stays constant. When travelling onto an uphill grade, the turbo sings a little, and you can feel the torque come on. No downshifting, no revving, no TCC slipping - just pure torque.

Later,
David

Prospeeder
05-02-2009, 08:40 PM
more pics!!! hehe How interesting those old centurys are!

turbokinetic
05-02-2009, 09:45 PM
more pics!!! hehe How interesting those old centurys are!

More pics forthcoming!

I'm replacing the battery cables now. They had those cheapy clamp-on corrode-o-matic junk cable ends on there. Plus, the battery was an old, small, top-post POS that looked like it belonged in a Civic.

This car has a larger-than-normal battery tray, and will be getting a full-size off-highway equipment battery!

Tha cables I am putting on are 2/0 gauge, with soldered-on ends. Should improve cranking speed.

This unit has a Mitsubishi gear-reduction starter that looks exactly like a Ford power-stroke starter. Those are pretty good starters actually.

I want to get the car fully roadworthy, then I will drive out to my friend's farm to "down" it and start on the engine upgrades.

I drove to town (20 miles round trip) and the front brakes started dragging hard, by the time I got home, I was scared it might be on fire so I parked on the yard near the water hose! No fire but both rotors are severely scored. Thankfully I have a set of JA2 pads and rotors here already. Hopefully the calipers are just stuck on the slide bolts, and no the pistons stuck!

I'm going to start a new thread for the pictures.

Later,
David

a1veedubber
05-02-2009, 10:41 PM
Awesome! I cannot wait to see what is in store for this car! I actually came about 2 inches from buying it last year, but ended up getting my Astro instead.....I needed a parts-haulin vehicle! (That and I am a closet Van freak!)

Did you tow this with your Cent? Also, when you went past Stuart, I was probably just getting off work! Didn't get the PM till that afternoon as I work Thursdays from 3:30AM till about 2PM. (Until I start my new job in a couple of weeks!)

Oh, and except for the road salt, Iowa is a pretty kick-a$$ place!

turbokinetic
05-02-2009, 11:07 PM
Awesome! I cannot wait to see what is in store for this car! I actually came about 2 inches from buying it last year, but ended up getting my Astro instead.....I needed a parts-haulin vehicle! (That and I am a closet Van freak!)

Did you tow this with your Cent? Also, when you went past Stuart, I was probably just getting off work! Didn't get the PM till that afternoon as I work Thursdays from 3:30AM till about 2PM. (Until I start my new job in a couple of weeks!)

Oh, and except for the road salt, Iowa is a pretty kick-a$$ place!

No prob on the PM. I replied via e-mail, too hope you got it!

Everyone in Iowa was very nice, country folk. Can't complain at all. I really enjoyo meeting folks in different areas on road trips like this.

I actually went US71 south, and through Kansas City MO. That's the way my GPS routed me anyway! I did see Stuart on the map and would have been glad to come that way of we could have coordinated it.

I'm going to post progress pictures as usual, but it may not progress too fast, because it is inline behind some other projects. I have to finish up the details on the Olympia, and get my Nova fixed up. It is getting some rust on it that needs to be fixed.

I'm just trying to "stabilize" the diesel car so that it can be driven and will not deteriorate further.

As far as parts-haulin? That's what a trailer hitch is for! I did haul it with my Olympia. Yes I got some really funny looks on the highway! Not the most stable (or advisable) combination of tow vehicle and trailer, but it was not as bad as you might think. I did have most of my toolboxes in the tow vehicle (coming home from work) so there was a definate weight advantage to the tow vehicle. I just took it slow and left a very very long following distance.

Word to the wise - do NOT do this unless you have a modified transmission, or a route with absolutely no hills, or you will wreck your transmission.

What was funny - I was going 60 MPH on Cruise. The same cars passed me multiple times, as if they were running 90 MPH, but stopping every 30
minutes, then going 90 again and passing me, then stopping. I cruised at 60 (or slower) and apparently made the same time they did.

Just curious, what will your new job be?

Later,
David

LordDurock
05-03-2009, 01:30 AM
the mitsu starts are the ones to use. the old delco kind work but mine broke the thin ear.

pict of my 4.3 motor can be found here (should tell you what your getting into. also if you find them the rwd drive 4.3 heads are cast iron (and bolt right up)
http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb167/lorddurock/

Duke George V
05-03-2009, 04:17 PM
nevermind, saw the other thread... nothing to see here