PDA

View Full Version : Congress Close on ‘Cash for Clunkers’

85_Ciera_Rebuild
05-06-2009, 07:07 PM
After months of debate (http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/06/congress-close-on-cash-for-clunkers/?partner=rss&emc=rss), Congress appears close to reaching a compromise “Cash for Clunkers” plan that would give consumers up to $4,500 if they turn in their old car and use the money to buy a new, more fuel-efficient replacement.

Late Tuesday, the House Committee on Energy and Commerce released a fact sheet that outlines the plan, which includes elements of two competing bills in the House and another in the Senate.

LordDurock
05-06-2009, 07:22 PM
also a great way to have you car towed away when you cant make payments

a1veedubber
05-06-2009, 08:11 PM
Hehehe, I left this comment on there:

These programs are lame. They have very little environmental impact, and drive “clunker” prices up for low income people that cannot afford anything else. Most people probably will not believe it, but my 1986 Celebrity is actually “greener” than a new Prius. It looks better too!"

Techfizzle
05-06-2009, 09:13 PM
so that will make old cars more expensive for low-income people, and the country is in debt

WISE UP!

Duke George V
05-06-2009, 09:17 PM
What is their definition of "clunker"? Is it based on age, inability to pass emissions testing, or just fuel economy?

EDIT: Looks like it's based on fuel economy. Aren't V6 A-bodies rated 23 mpg combined? What's the incentive then?

LordDurock
05-06-2009, 09:37 PM
^ when i get my 4.3 running with no white smoke im just as green as any newwere diesel (less some Direct injection, parfilter diesels)

and i would get about 35 combined. not bad for a 30 year old diesel design