PDA

View Full Version : Front end swap-a-bility

cutlassburnin
05-09-2009, 02:22 PM
Anyone know anything about the compatibility between front ends on 88-95 a-bodys? Id love to go with a more agressive front If I can find a parts car. SO far the hood looks like its a big factor.

SilentWing
05-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Just out of curiosity, what kind of swap did you have in mind (ie what parts of the front end, swap with what kind of car, etc)?

Sorry to hear about the accident, I'm interested in hearing more about your plans for the car (and I'm glad to hear you're thinking about keeping it)

cutlassburnin
05-09-2009, 04:31 PM
Thanks! Im still looking at a few other cars..but the gf really wanted this car so I may store it and work on it here and there.

I think the ciera 4dr has the least agressive look out of all of them so even a century front end would be better I think. Of course a regal gs front end would be what I reallly want but Im not sure how that would work out.

SilentWing
05-09-2009, 04:33 PM
I'm not too sure about regals, but I do know that since you're replacing the fenders anyways, you should be able to easily put on a century front end if you're looking to do around the same year. Just make sure that you get the fenders from the century too, because they slope a certain way :)

You could always go my route if you want a more agressive look, i'm putting the e36's in as soon as I figure out the right way to mod the header panel to fit them.

Prospeeder
05-09-2009, 04:39 PM
or a cutlass with sealed beams or a Ciera GT or international. i think they look cool

cutlassburnin
05-09-2009, 04:40 PM
mhm, I actually thought about fiberglassing my own custom header panel at one point ( or fiberglassing to the origional one ), actually doesnt look to hard to do.

SilentWing
05-09-2009, 05:28 PM
It's always neat to see what people come up with when it comes to fiber glass body work. Too bad you don't live around IL, I've got a header panel with only the part that goes between the corner light and front fender broken I'd be willing to let go of, but I'm sure it'd cost a dime to ship it.

I agree with Prospeeder though, the sealed beams look tough on these cars.

86euro
05-09-2009, 11:00 PM
A Century front end would look good, especially with all the trim blacked out on the car.

george
05-10-2009, 01:22 AM
I like the 84 ste front ends

cutlassburnin
05-10-2009, 02:25 AM
For some reason on partstrain.com all the century stuff if basically half price compared to the ciera, I got no clue why but thats what it says. So a front end swap might not only be a cool alternative but maybe even a CHEAPER one.

http://www2.partstrain.com/store/?Ntt=Fender&N=1585%209803+4294964226 35 bucks for a fender? I think this might work out.

SilentWing
05-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Looks like a deal, just make sure to check the shipping price and what not, and see if they'd give you a deal on shipping if you end up buying the front end from them.
Good luck and let us know what you decide, I'll be interested to see progress pics if you can get some.

cutlassburnin
05-10-2009, 10:13 PM
I shopped a bunch of stuff and totaled it just to see and it said 70 bucks for shipping...It looks as though they have a flat rate for shipping or something...we'll see.

Anyway heres the shopping list so far, let me know If im forgetting something.lol

Fenders

header panel

grille

bumper reinforcement

bumper cover

I think the turn signals are different due to the different slope in the fenders on the front and Im not sure If the headlights are close enough yet.

Im trying to see If the hoods are alike enough to use the stock one, a couple of my neighbors own centurys but I dont want to look like a creeper and sneak over to measure their cars. lol Anyone know?

86euro
05-10-2009, 10:39 PM
You would need the hood and all the lights.

SilentWing
05-10-2009, 10:44 PM
There's a 95 century front clip with grill headlights and header panel on ebay for 100, but it's pick up only (in ky) I don't know if he'd be willing to work with you on shipping it, but I just thought I'd mention it since 89euro said you'll need the headlights.

cutlassburnin
05-10-2009, 11:54 PM
So I need the above mentioned parts along with the hood and lights. Anything else anyone can think of?

I got 500 deposited to start with.

86euro
05-11-2009, 03:09 AM
I believe the cowl panel is needed to go along with the hood. If you have a self-serve junkyard near you, it would be best to spend a couple hours there and get everything you need.