PDA

View Full Version : Big Satellite Dish Wanted

Techfizzle
05-10-2009, 01:15 AM
i live in galesburg IL
which is close to clinton, iowa city, peoria, quad cities, st louis, etc

I am looking for a big satellite dish to tinker around with,

if you have one, or seen one, i will pay the gas $$ it takes to get to this house

reply to this post

85_Ciera_Rebuild
05-10-2009, 04:16 AM
reply to this post

Here I am....Mr. BUD (Big Umbrella Dish) since 1980s

Opinion - Drive around....when you see one....ask them for it...most are not being used today.

Freight bill is too much....look around your home turf...they are out there, for the asking.

Ideal dish would be a 7-1/2' hydroformed (pressed) dish...or 10' solid dish.

There are two frequency bands used....C...and....Ku....which each requires a LNB/Feedhorn.....and most all transmissions today are via digital. Cheapest way is to get a MPEG II receiver....or use a dvb pci card in your computer.

Here is a link to Lyngsat....from 87.0°W (AMC 3) to about 139.0°W(AMC 8) (http://www.lyngsat.com/america.html) is the range of birds that can be viewed.

86euro
05-10-2009, 04:53 AM
Geez, there can't be many of those things left. They went the way of the dodo bird.

85_Ciera_Rebuild
05-10-2009, 05:22 AM
Geez, there can't be many of those things left

Somewhere around 30,000 paying users....but, there is still lots to see up there, especially, for those speaking Spanish.

Only subscription I have is for Denver 8 channels for about $10.00/month; it is a digital feed, and with my Sony Bravia using S-Video input, the picture quality is good for a standard definition channel....as good as over the air digital reception.

Over in Europe, millions watch Sat-TV...completely different setup over there.

Here was downfall of Big Dish:

Congress overrides President Bush's veto of the Cable Act. Legislation guarantees access to satellite-delivered cable programming services by alternative multichannel video providers, such as DBS operators.