PDA

View Full Version : Rear Glass Molding,94 Ciera

jeffreyclay
05-16-2009, 06:24 PM
My rear glass molding pops over the corner of the glass when cold (contracting) allowing some water to find it's way into the trunk. My question is: can this molding be replaced by a DIY guy? Where is a economical source for the replacement molding? I haven't seen it in the usual sources so it may be a dealer item only.
:dunno:

CuttyC 3.3
05-16-2009, 10:43 PM
yeh ,, the same exact thing is wrong with my 91.... Yes it its extremely easy to put new molding on,, or even re-use what u already have... if its like mine, all youll need is the bonding agent stuff they use to keep it in there.. you can buy it at most decent auto-parts stores ... I jst havent had enough ambition to fix it yet... but id say go 4 it,, its an easy fix ..

86euro
05-17-2009, 01:25 AM
That moulding is for looks only, it does not help keep water out of the trunk.

As for getting the moulding back in place, you can try heating it up with a hair drier or heat gun and stretching it back out, then glue it back in place. Or you could pay a glass shop to remove the glass (that could be the source of your leak) and install a new moulding.

white89euro
05-17-2009, 01:53 AM
Hi Jeffryclay - my only experience with a leaking trunk on a a-body was due to rust at the inner trunk corners at each corner of the trunk seal molding.

If the window seal is really the problem, I recommened 3M Glass-weld for sealing the new trim. I've been told the new trim is available at most auto-glass shops. You may also check weather stripping at J.C. Whitney web site.

George

jeffreyclay
05-25-2009, 01:39 AM
Thanks George. From what I observe the molding seems to be cosmetic as well, but I do have a small wet spot in the trunk directly below the lower left glass were the molding rolls up. I've looked on Whitney and didn't find anything there, will check with local glass shop. I just hate to pay retail!!!

white89euro
07-02-2009, 12:21 AM
Hey Jeffrey,

I just pulled the rear class molding off of an '86 Ciera. I had to remove the rear cowl panel with 3 screws that hold it on. Then just grab the end of the moulding and peel.

You can get the seals cheap at salvage yards.

How's your repair going?

George

Geoaidan
07-03-2009, 08:40 AM
I have used Safelite (http://www.safelite.com/) 3 times in the past, and have been extremely satisfied with their services.

It cost only $205.00 for them to come to my house and remove old windshield or rear window, take it away, clean the frame, install brand new glass and brand new molding... Total. They're very cheap and professional.

I don't know if they'll come out to just do molding. But it wouldn't hurt to ask. I wouldn't be surprised if it was cheap- like $30 bucks or whatever- for them to do it- (if they will just do the molding alone) they're very good at what they do. Their work looks like right out of the factory and better in some cases.

Personally, when car repairs involves seals or glass, I prefer to leave it up to a pro, they always do it right the first time around. Better that than worry about damage happening later down the road.

Metro666
07-05-2009, 08:41 AM
I have the same problem with mine.
I got a quote at work to get it replaced for 150$ CND:rock:
The guy told me that's why it's leaking a bit in my trunk.
Cause my Cutlass has only little rusts spots here and there.
So im gonna get it replaced before winter!!:)

dcjredline
07-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Had the windshield replaced in the STE for $180 by a local glass place. I too would prefer a pro do it for me. Have them remove and replace your glass I bet without the price of the new glass it isnt over $100.