PDA

View Full Version : What fits? 1993 Buick Century

Geoaidan
06-02-2009, 09:09 AM
Hello all,

New to this forum. It's definitely a gem out of all the forums I've searched on so far.

I have a 1993 Buick Century that I recently purchased, it has just 79k miles, it was senior citizen owned and very well maintained Florida car. (I am the 2nd owner) Very lovely car. I want to make some subtle changes to the appearance of the car, but nobody seems to have the information I need. I'm looking to simply "modernize" the look and function. It has the V6 engine.

1. I would like to change the front/rear bumpers to a more modern looking style. Would a 1997 Buick Century bumper fit on a 1993 Buick Century? If not, what bumpers from newer models would fit?

2. Is there a place where I can buy better looking exterior door handles and side mirrors? (No place I have looked has specifically ones for my car)

3. What should I replace to give the car good performance suspension? The coil or the shock absorbers? Both? I'm looking to spend as little as possible with big results.

I'm looking to make this car a quality car, what it should have been out the factory. It's a great car, but some parts were made ugly. (Like the mirrors, door handles, front bumper)

Thank you for your time and response. Looking forward to interacting with you guys here. :cheers:

George

RIPBARNBURNER
06-02-2009, 08:36 PM
first of all, welcome to the forum!

second, bumpers wont fit without ALOT of fabrication, and i dont believe that they would look good with the body of the car anyway. your only option for mirrors and handles are probly aftermarket, and none of those will look right i dont think. and for suspension youll probly wanna upgrade both springs and struts. your car already is a quality car, tough, easy to work on, and stylish. if you wanna make it look better, id give it a buff and a coat of wax to make the paint shine like new :thumbsup:

Prospeeder
06-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Tint the windows, and throw some newer buick rims/aftermarket rims on it. Lower it with the hard to find ebach springs. Maybe find a Buick century GS/Ttype probably get the ground effects off them and really sharpen it up.

86euro
06-02-2009, 10:48 PM
You can use the door handles from a '93-'02 F-body in place of your stock ones. They look about the same, but are smoother and more modern looking. Obviously, if you have a four-door, you would need a par of lefts and a pair of rights.

Geoaidan
06-03-2009, 02:38 AM
RIPBARNBURNER,

Thank you for the welcome!

"Need to do a lot of modifications to put on a different bumper" That's what I was afraid of. Maybe I'll just stick to removing the two vertical bumper pieces that's bolted on the front bumper, and replacing it with curved dome head bolts and paint em to match the color of the bumper. That might at least improve the look a little bit. I'm not sure if that would adversely affect how the bumper protects the car, though.

Prospeeder,

*grins* I'm not that crazy about tuner car looks, but definitely need to have tint installed, with the sun & heat here in Florida. I think the only "aftermarket" things I would want to add to the car visually would be tint, window vent visors, and HID headlight bulbs.

I'm contemplating on removing the trim on the sides of the doors, but I am not sure if it'd look right. Anybody done that and looks ok?

86euro,

"You can use the door handles from a '93-'02 F-body in place of your stock ones."

That's great, I'll definitely check that out. Thank you very much for that information. I'm not that familiar on what a F-body car is though- is that like a Trans AM, Firebird, and Camaro? If that's what it is, I looked at pictures of these cars, and not sure if they'd actually fit?

Thanks guys,
George :cheers:

Duke George V
06-03-2009, 06:59 AM
The reason the 97+ bumpers and whatnot won't work is because the 97+ Centurys are on the W platform, not A, same as the Grand Prix, Intrigue, etc. Different dimensions all around.

Removing the trim is more trouble than it's worth, and I don't think any A car would look right without it.

F-body is Firebird/Trans Am and Camaro.

You won't be able to get away with doing suspension upgrades cheaply. Good shocks and struts are well over a hundred bucks apiece, and the best mod you can do, a rear sway bar, is quite rare and over $200 in some cases. Even if you get one it's not quite a bolt-on affair.

Geoaidan
06-03-2009, 08:55 AM
Daniel,

That makes sense to me, thanks for laying it out for me. When I took the time to look at a-body cars via Google today, I was amazed at the fact that all along we were looking at the same car, just small differences in the nose, tail, and the trim in these cars. I didn't realize how interchangeable they were.

As for the trim, I wonder if it'd be possible to get away with removing the side trims if the ends of the trim sides on both bumpers were sanded down to a "fade" so that it'd look like it melted into the body, and then of course, a fresh paint job done on the whole car.

This car in the image in the link below is ugly as hell, in my opinion- but the front end is exactly what I am trying to achieve. Right there. The only difference I would like to see is European style lens in place of what's in this picture. I like the trim, the door handle and the front end. But I can't stand the color and anything beyond the windshield.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-1990-1999/1992-Buick-Century-Wagon-Yellow-le.jpg

I just found this- There's an older Buick Century (probably late 80's model) that has no thick trim on the bottom, instead it has a thin trim that's placed higher. I'm picturing the car without the trim at all on the sides, and I'm thinking it might work after all, if the car was painted in the right color. I'm thinking about Candy Green or Cobalt Blue.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/%252522Buick%20Century%252522%20%25252B%20hot%20ro d/Denco206/CarLounge/82-88_Buick_Century_sedan.jpg

For pictures of my car, and more information on it, it has been posted here:

http://www.a-body.net/forums/showpost.php?p=25995&postcount=138

Cheers,
George

Turbobuick88
06-03-2009, 02:16 PM
The trim can be removed but it would take some paint with it. I removing most of the trim on mine and painting the remaining flat black. check it out here. (its a work in progress) http://www.a-body.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2189

Geoaidan
06-04-2009, 03:23 AM
Turbobuick88,

Thanks for the heads up, I probably will be using heat on the molding to avoid taking the paint along for a ride. I probably won't take the molding off until I am ready to paint. Might be a year before that happens. My wife had that "oh no" look in her eyes when I told her what I had planned for the car. LOL

I'll definitely keep tabs on your progress and see how well the car does. Your Bondo job looks good, very smooth and follows the lines. I noticed on your car, you've got a thin chrome trim on the top part of your car on the right side. Do you plan on having that all the way around? I think it does a good job at making the car look more classier.

CamoDeafie
06-04-2009, 03:33 AM
I am in the process of removing the residue of the side trim on the doors and leaving the rest alone, as i plan on putting some sort of vinyl graphic on the side instead of paying the bucks to paint it....there is a thread somewhere in the exterior/interior subforum.

on some As, the sides can look good, on some, it might look incomplete. Chevy celebs have an edge on the lower side where the trim usually is, if the trim's removed, its still there slightly, and looks like it needs something, on a Buick century and Oldsmobile, the sides are very smooth and broad, making it a good canvas for graphics or putting GT/International Ciera body kit on without trim, for the Buick, they had 2 or 3 different trims on their cars, the earlier one is a high belt line metal strip that doesnt line up with the bumper's trim, but lines up with the headlight's top edge, then theres the usual century trim which lines up with the bumper trims, and then theres the station wagons' vinyl fake wood paneling that takes up much of the room but still doesnt line up with anything front and rear bumper-wise.

Geoaidan
06-04-2009, 03:43 AM
CamoDeafie,

That's a very good idea- to use graphics to cover the ugliness left behind from the old trim.

I am thinking about having the entire car painted Candy Cobalt Blue. (I originally thought about Candy green- my favorite color, but realized that was too "ghetto" for my car) So, in my case, no worries about the trim. I am going to do more research before I decide on what to do about the trim, though.

As for the paint job, I am very likely going to be doing the prep work myself then have Maaco paint the car. I've heard mixed reviews about them, but I've heard that if you did the prep work yourself, the results are usually very good... Since Maaco doesn't like to do good prep work, thus resulting in a bad paint job. I was quoted $294 for my old Volvo Turbo 850 wagon. That's peanuts... It might be around that much, give or take to do my Century.

Thank you for the heads up on the thread in the exterior/interior subforum. Will definitely check that out.

George

Turbobuick88
06-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Turbobuick88,

Thanks for the heads up, I probably will be using heat on the molding to avoid taking the paint along for a ride. I probably won't take the molding off until I am ready to paint. Might be a year before that happens. My wife had that "oh no" look in her eyes when I told her what I had planned for the car. LOL

I'll definitely keep tabs on your progress and see how well the car does. Your Bondo job looks good, very smooth and follows the lines. I noticed on your car, you've got a thin chrome trim on the top part of your car on the right side. Do you plan on having that all the way around? I think it does a good job at making the car look more classier.

The chrome is going all around the whole window the bottom part is off for the painting. Right now its in my garage getting ready to be primered.:)
Next up Dark Metalic Blue and 3 coats of clear:rock:

Prospeeder
06-04-2009, 11:37 PM
Tuner? I listed stock Century T-Type/GS ground effects/Header panel and maybe some factory alloys from a wreckin yard, lol. The rear swaybar kit can be purchased from summit racing, nealy 200$ but supposivly a super killer mod. I wouldnt remove the rub strips, not only do they complement the lines of the car all the way from the bumpers down the side of the car, i think alot of cars have holes underneath. I think it would look dumb as hell without them, but thats just me....

86euro
06-05-2009, 12:18 AM
I removed the side moldings from my coupe and it looks clean. I was on the fence about it, but after removing them, some grinding and a little welding, I'm glad they are gone. I guess it wouldn't look right if I didn't have the VR bumpers and the 6000 rockers though.

Geoaidan
06-05-2009, 09:50 AM
I think that most of these cars use 3m double sided adhesive tape for the rubber bumpers on the doors. The bumpers that's on the fenders are the ones that has holes behind them.

I'm thinking about removing just the door bumpers and feathering in the fender section- that way, it'd look like it was supposed to be that way. Maybe add slim rocker panels to give it that slightly newer look.

Turbobuick88,

Dark Metallic Blue with 3 coats of clear- that should give it nice depth. Are you doing rattle can or using a sprayer? Do you plan on doing some wet sanding in between coats? Just curious on how far you plan to take the paint job.