PDA

View Full Version : Cash for Clunkers

Oklahoma
06-21-2009, 02:52 AM
They passed the bill yesterday, and for those of you who don't know, this is what it is:
The government is going to spend $4 billion buying 1 million used cars from the public, in order to stimulate new car sales. The catch is that these trade-ins must get 18 mpg or worse and the new vehicle has to get a certain amount of mpgs better than the old one.
This explains it pretty well:
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/galleries/2009/autos/0905/gallery.clunkers_cash/images/chart_cash_for_clunkers.gif
So here's the fun part: the old cars are all getting CRUSHED. Not resold. Not donated to people who need them. I mean, why couldn't they give them to developing countries or something, anything but crushing them! I don't like the bill because a) I don't like bailouts in general and b) I think it's extremely wasteful. Realistically we are looking at destroying about $3 billion dollars worth of usable assets. I almost makes me cry to think of all the 80's and 90's low mileage, good condition GM FWD cars (that only we can appreciate) getting crushed! My parents' 1996 Nissan minivan, for example, is eligible, but it easily has another 150,000 left. I just hate the idea of all the vehicles like that which will be destroyed!

LordDurock
06-21-2009, 03:21 AM
it stupid as it puts people in a place were the bank still has power over them.........as well as i dont think they will be getting anything as nice as what they had. when you can get a 93 century that loaded (leather power everything ect) for 2000 and you pay say 20,000 for a low to mid end car whats the point.

also whats the point of crushing a perfectly good old car

cant find the artical i was looking for but this is good enought for now it a bit side heavy but yea sorry
http://www.dakotavoice.com/2009/06/nasa-study-shows-sun-responsible-for-planet-warming/

SilentWing
06-22-2009, 12:48 AM
It really is disgusting because there are so many people who don't have enough money to buy a car yet still need transportation (talked to a lady in AL once who was on a waiting list and in the area where she lives there is no public transportation, so it's either a bus or a cab). And that's not even mentioning the other things these cars could be sold for (charity etc).

Geoaidan
06-22-2009, 01:34 AM
It's really sad. It'll drive up the price of used cars eventually, for sure. Anybody here that likes to collect used cars- better stock up now while the price's still low.

George

Oklahoma
06-22-2009, 01:39 AM
BTW, I had my numbers wrong... they're only spending $1 billion and crushing about 250,000 cars.

Geoaidan
06-22-2009, 01:41 AM
Oh, that makes more sense

Jet
06-22-2009, 03:07 AM
I hate to say it, but the politicians are wisely playing on how gullible people are, knowing that thousands will jump on this and not even think twice...sad to realize there are so many suckers out there living amongst us.

LordDurock
06-22-2009, 03:56 AM
^ then they will get srewwed and ask the govermenet for more money ot ball them out of there mess

Zaloryan
06-22-2009, 05:24 AM
Just look at who's running the House...

Geoaidan
06-22-2009, 07:09 AM
Zalyoran,

Our problems are inherited from the previous administration. I personally would have told all the businesses "Too bad. You abused your position. Time for you to go bankrupt." But then again, more people would be out of jobs if the current administration did that.

That's what I don't understand. Nobody wants to put blame where it really is due. The new administration simply walked in a helluva mess.

The bailouts are a temporary solution that could really bite us in the behind really bad later on. Or it could work. I have learned to bite my tongue and wait and see. I don't agree with the bailouts, but then again, I'm not the president... I sure am glad I'm not in that position.

On a lighter note, I found this on the web, and its funny as heck:

It is the month of August, on the shores of the Black Sea. It is raining, and the little town looks totally deserted. It is tough times, everybody is in debt, and everybody lives on credit.

Suddenly, a rich tourist comes to town. He enters the only hotel, lays a 100 Euro note on the reception counter, and goes to inspect the rooms upstairs in order to pick one.

The hotel proprietor takes the 100 Euro note and runs to pay his debt to the butcher. The Butcher takes the 100 Euro note, and runs to pay his debt to the pig grower.

The pig grower takes the 100 Euro note, and runs to pay his debt to the supplier of his feed and fuel.

The supplier of feed and fuel takes the 100 Euro note and runs to pay his debt to the town’s prostitute that in these hard times, gave her “services” on credit.

The hooker runs to the hotel, and pays off her debt with the 100 Euro note to the hotel proprietor to pay for the rooms that she rented when she brought her clients there.

The hotel proprietor then lays the 100 Euro note back on the counter so that the rich tourist will not suspect anything.

At that moment, the rich tourist comes down after inspecting the rooms, and takes his 100 Euro note, after saying that he did not like any of the rooms, and leaves town.

No one earned anything. However, the whole town is now without debt, and looks to the future with a lot of optimism….

a1veedubber
06-22-2009, 07:07 PM

Our problems are inherited from the previous administration.

I hate to ruin this for you, but the previous admin & the current one are really the same admin. The good ol' USA has effectively had a ONE party system for years now.

I personally would have told all the businesses "Too bad. You abused your position. Time for you to go bankrupt."

That is how it is supposed to work, but then you would have to many unemployed UAW members........hence the bailouts!

OOO! This just in on the news as I type this....Our Savior has signed yet another unconstitutional bill that no one will dare question. Yay! And more people are dying on the streets of Iran. Our world is a frigging joke these days!

My thoughts on the cash for "clunkers" bill?? Another joke. Another handout to the corporations & unions on the backs of the poor who can only afford old clunkers that have now suddenly become expensive. Not to mention us strange folks who actually like the old cars.

Geoaidan
06-23-2009, 01:29 AM
I hate to ruin this for you, but the previous admin & the current one are really the same admin. The good ol' USA has effectively had a ONE party system for years now.

In a way you're right about that. But I do see a big difference between the Clinton times and Bush times... And today's times. We had a budgetary surplus when Clinton was in office. All that went to the wind as soon as Bush took the seat.

I'm proud to say I'm a Democrat, and I refuse to apologize for that. :D

LordDurock
06-23-2009, 01:29 AM
My thoughts on the cash for "clunkers" bill?? Another joke. Another handout to the corporations & unions on the backs of the poor who can only afford old clunkers that have now suddenly become expensive. Not to mention us strange folks who actually like the old cars.

A FUCKING MEN!!!!!!!!!!!
if i've done my math right. i give 50% of my union dues (UFWS) to pay for the union salarys. i give 25% for building/ and runnign cost (electric extra) and i get 25% precent for my self. but due to the fact that i on a two tier system. i give about 15 prect of that 25% i get i give to support a older union memembers.......... please some one try and tell me that the corpatration are that blotted...on top of the theft i also have to deal with the added tenstion between unions and corparations........in short. i a bitch to both sides ;).

"The new administration simply walked in a helluva mess"
no dought about that. the problems are how it been delt with.

Geoaidan
06-23-2009, 02:08 AM
"The new administration simply walked in a helluva mess"
no dought about that. the problems are how it been delt with.

100% agreed on that. I'm very concerned about the bailouts myself. I'm surprised that it'd be something that is being even considered. I am wondering if there's anything the politicians know that I don't know. At the same time, I don't trust them.

We aren't the only country doing bailouts. France, South Korea, China, and England are examples of other countries doing the same thing...

Not sure how that's supposed to help. If everybody is doing it, why not just forgive everybody's debts and be done with it?

Century7667
06-25-2009, 09:01 PM
Here's an angle I haven't see mentioned. Compare the fuel ecomomy numbers of your favorite A-body on www.fueleconomy.gov. I found that my Century compares *very* favorably with the V6 powered Toyota Crammy. It's got more power, but not much difference at all at the gas pump.

Ken T.

Prospeeder
06-25-2009, 09:54 PM
Yea those things are turds, our cars could keep up, there ugly anyway

LordDurock
06-26-2009, 02:03 AM
i road in a newer PT curser to night in the rain........and with the rain hitting the top or the PT it sounding like you were riding in a old 70's truck with no head liner...........srew that cheap no so cheap POS!!!!! they cant even put a nice head liner ion a car

Prospeeder
06-26-2009, 02:33 AM
I just read an article on the cash for clunkers. They are most likley never going to do it, its enviromentally wasteful and could get alot of people suckered into debt like the housing market

oh and Lorddurock, thats cause its a chrysler product

Tuddi
06-26-2009, 04:25 AM

http://www.coinfacts.com/quarter_dollars/50_states_quarters/50_states_quarter_obv.jpghttp://www.coinfacts.com/quarter_dollars/50_states_quarters/2000_new_hampshire_quarter_obv.jpg

Two sides - same coin.

Two moods - same dictatorship.

Two shits - same contents.

a1veedubber
06-26-2009, 07:29 AM
Two sides - same coin.

Two moods - same dictatorship.

Two shits - same contents.

Exactly my thinking. Every election I hear the same thing....."I am going to vote for the lesser of two evils". How is that a winning proposition?? It's like choosing your own method of execution, either way you end up dead!

Edit: I have to add that my original analogy I was going to use concerned the third item....."But mine has corn in it.....it MUST be better! :)

Geoaidan
06-26-2009, 09:04 AM
Exactly my thinking. Every election I hear the same thing....."I am going to vote for the lesser of two evils". How is that a winning proposition?? It's like choosing your own method of execution, either way you end up dead!

I definitely agree with that. Politicians are not to be trusted, and we all are screwed one way or another.

But I can tell you one thing for sure- back then when Bush was running against Gore, Bush was the biggest evil SOB out of the group. Look at what he did to America. So, it does make a difference on who you elect.

He did this:

-Ruined our foreign relations with countries in the world
-Undid Bill Clinton's hard work of cleaning up the budget
-Caused employment to go at an all time low
-Caused many men and women to be killed over oil and pride
-Drained our economy in the name of war in a place that nobody gives a rat's ass about
-Lowered education standards with "No Child Left Behind" laws
-Took away a lot of freedoms
-Abused & raped the constitution
-Set bad examples for law enforcement. Cops have gotten way worse from Bush's era
-Encouraged wiretapping and invasion of privacy
-Signed the Patriot Act into law
-Encouraged torture, and oftentimes innocent people got tortured
-Made us look like fools by his idiotic quotes and running into walls, falling off his bicycle, and etc.
-Allowed other awful people run the country without properly supervising them.
-Fortified Washington DC and made it more inaccessible to the people. (I lived there!)
-There's so much more he did. But Dick Cheney was just as bad as Bush was.

Bill Clinton might have had been busy with Monica Lewinsky, but he has accomplished so much... Big difference between Clinton and Bush.

Unfortunately, everywhere, we are under false freedom. Even in England, it's worse there. They have video cameras every where with loud speakers attached to them. If somebody moves a construction cone or does something wrong, a loud voice goes booming "hey, you there, in the blue shirt, move that cone back!"

The closest form of freedom would be in the principality of Hutt River. (http://www.huttriver.net/)

The last time we had true freedom was before man had somebody telling them what to do, and how to live. And that was like what? Caveman times.

a1veedubber
06-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Some of those I agree with. Some I don't. Some don't really have a lot to do with the President either.

LordDurock
06-26-2009, 04:32 PM
i say clintion did very little for foreign relations.. in fact to me it looks like clintions lack of balls in any area regarding the middle very well allowed for 9/11. .....my point is you are sending money to a dictrator who uses his money to fund and army when the money was for food for the people he is putting in mass graves......and you dont have the balls to give to shits but you look good........

this type of lets be everys ones friend idea is how ww2 got started with geramny taking more and more land tell the just when to war.
this why you have the genocid in Rwandan and were fly out own people but no the to be victims

i sure i could dig up more.......but this is no good. it just looks good

Tuddi
06-26-2009, 05:04 PM
When Clinton had his "cigar" sucked, people didn't die. But with the media focus on his private pleasures, and the completely ridiculous impeachment by the reps, he decided to divert the attention from his private affairs and started the war in the Balkans.... and people died. That was a direct consequence of the actions of the Reps.

It really doesn't matter who is president in regards to the US foreign policy... it will always be dealt with through bombs and bullets rather than talks and diplomacy. If the rest of the world's nations behaved in the same way as the US does, there would be constant war everywhere.

Fortunately most of the world has grown up from such idiocy, but more is needed.

JFK, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush Sr., Clinton, Bush Jr., Obama.... all the same sickness... just slightly different symptoms.

LordDurock
06-26-2009, 05:13 PM
no tuddi socail contrat and the lavathion ;).............it works i sware

white89euro
06-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Not to worry. There isn't an A-body in existance that is going to be crushed under this bill. Now on the other hand the gas-hog SUVs of the past 20 years are going DOWN. Those pigs will be replaced with leaner-burning vehicles which in turn will reduce the demand for gasoline, bringing gas prices down, which in turn will save all of us here at a-body.net money when we fill up our thrify a-body cars that get about 25 to 30 mpg on average.

If the government wants to do "cash for clunkers" the only limit on the program ought to be that the new vehicles be from the big three American auto makers. I can't see the benefit of someone crushing an American vehicle to get a rebate on a car from a foreign owned automaker, such as Toyota. I don't care how many factories Toyota has here.

Overall this is a good program. High gas consumption is keeping gas prices high and holding back the economy. We can't get the economy back in good shape until we stop sending so many dollars to the middle east countries (who use those dollars to buy American businesses and American property).

George
White 1989 Eurosport

Century7667
06-29-2009, 05:33 PM
Not to worry. There isn't an A-body in existance that is going to be crushed under this bill.

<SNIP!>

If the government wants to do "cash for clunkers" the only limit on the program ought to be that the new vehicles be from the big three American auto makers. I can't see the benefit of someone crushing an American vehicle to get a rebate on a car from a foreign owned automaker, such as Toyota. I don't care how many factories Toyota has here.

George
White 1989 Eurosport

Yep, as I said before, the A-body doesn't take a back seat to comparably sized vehicles. :rock: But crushing a good running big 3 vehicle just to turn over some cash to the Toyota....is like giving foreign car manufacturers a subsidy to give their vehicles away thousands below retail.:rant:

Ken T.

Pontiac6ksteawd
06-30-2009, 02:13 AM
This programs is a complete flop...

I went and talked to a Dodge dealer about this program, which the manager had just printed off the printer, when I walked into his office..

First, the average of fuel economy is taken. So for example, your car get 16 city, 25 highway, but gets an average of 18, then it qualifies, as 18 MPG is the target number they are after.

Second, this program is allotted for a very limited amount of funds. Only 250,000 cars will qualify for this program, and its going to be on a first come, first serve basis.

Third, the program stipulates that the dealer keeps the old car, and you drive off with the new one. However, you are still paying full price for the car, with a voucher that has to be sent into the government to get the 3500/4500. Then the government will, eventually, send you a check for the moneys. What you do with that moneys is up to you.

Forth, keeping item Third in mind, this is a perfect opportunity for someone to really rip off the government. You buy the car, send in your voucher, get your check, let your car get repoed, and go buy a 4500 dollar car (or less).

I really dont think we will have to worry about alot of rare cars getting crushed, with the program limitations the way it is, unless you are one of the ones to get the deal done on day way, and have the voucher sent away by day two, you probly wont get it.

And the part that pisses me off, say you are stepping out of a rustbucket, barely legal, not safe to drive, hardly running, and wont pass safety inspection, Turd Bronco. You are also a single mom, and this would help you cause you are stepping into a Toyota Corolla, you didnt get the voucher in on time, and that 4500 dollars is the difference in between loosing it all, and not. Well now you have lost it all cause the program wasnt big enough to include you since its so limited.

jeffreyclay
08-02-2009, 04:33 PM
I just watched a few Youtube videos showing the engines being distroyed and it made me mad as hell! Many of these cars have lots of servicable life remaining and the salvage yards are being denied the chance to resale. This will take alot of decent, mid-priced, used cars off the market leaving the classifieds with nothing more than $500 POS for sale.
Capitol Hill better keep watch out their windows for the crowds marching their way with pitchforks and torches!

SilentWing
08-02-2009, 07:22 PM
They ran out of money as of yesterday on the first round of this, the government is going for a second round I don't remember when my brother said it is.... the toyota dealership he works at cleared out over half the lot on this round... yikes.

The way they destroy the engines is really nasty... they run a salt water sand solution in place of oil in the motor...

Oh and the car has to be less than 25 years old too...

LordDurock
08-02-2009, 07:35 PM
so there trashing the motors........bs and good small and big blocks or any thing cool is being trashed

hope they dont trash and aluminum v8's

SilentWing
08-02-2009, 10:46 PM
They're trashing everything... it's stupid IMHO, it's not like THAT many people are going to buy the old motors, rebuild them, and put them back into cars... so what's the harm in letting the few of us who would do it?

There's a Chevy dealership down the road from where my fiance works, they had a late 80's early 90's crown vic nose first in a dumpster out in front of the dealership just for show :\

Tonglebeak
08-02-2009, 10:51 PM
From what I've read, they're kililng the motor, but everything else can be resold at a JY still.

Thing I disagree with is that it's not always the motor that causes terrible gas mileage...

Just think of it this way: no a-body qualifies for this. Also, you can hear a crying engine here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waj2KrKYTZo

LordDurock
08-02-2009, 11:27 PM
the sad thing is half the car on youtube bing trashed are no clunkers at all.

turbokinetic
08-03-2009, 01:20 AM
This is insane.

Old car = high gas costs. New car = insurance, payments, and eventual higher repair costs when warranty is out.

I know firsthand some folks who looked into putting their car to death, but found out they would spend more per month on a new car than they do on their current car. The new cars they looked at were minivan-type cars; qualifying for $4500 rebate; available now; that would do what they needed.

The numbers did not add up any way they looked at it. It was giving up a somewhat variable cost; and taking on a fixd and much higher monthly burden.

This is just an example of a government out of control, taking action that is "sensational" and appeals to "the masses" when broadcast on the mass media; but which is totally without any financial or environmental merit.

David

turbokinetic
08-03-2009, 01:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waj2KrKYTZo

This is the beginning of the end of our country. Wanton destruction of perfectly good things like this is totally insane.

Un beleivable. Our country is a lost cause.

It has been nice but I feel the end is near with the government sponsoring things like this.

First they destroy "things." Once they become immune from the guilt and remorse of destroying "things" they will find sport in torturing animals. The sport value will eventually wear off this, and the mind becomes so calloused to seeing suffering and pain that only killing of people will satisfy this need.

I've heard the above chain of events has played out during the childhood of several serial killers. Our government is sanctioning this destruction of perfectly good vehicles now; what will they condone next?

David

Duke George V
08-03-2009, 01:54 AM
Who does this ultimately help? Sounds like this is only going to hurt the working poor who can only afford older, "gas sucking" cars. I know for a fact my car gets 20 mpg city, which is a damn fine amount considering it's a 21-year-old Chevy wagon. Not only that, it passed emissions with flying colors last month. Why would I give it up, especially when it does exactly what I need it to do?

If I were to participate in this program (hypothetically anyway, I'm a broke mother fucker) what is available that fulfills the same purpose as my wagon? Wagons are dead in this day and age, replaced by crossovers. I haven't heard of an 8 passenger crossover that gets 20 mpg city, 28 hwy with a V6. Have any of you?

Worthless waste of time and money. And don't get me started on them actually killing the cars traded in under this. That Volvo was a very recent model, less than ten years old likely.

Here, I'll let this speak for me.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e302/leftventricle/Rage_train.jpg

a1veedubber
08-03-2009, 02:43 AM
From what I've read, they're kililng the motor, but everything else can be resold at a JY still.

From what I have read of the bill, NOTHING can be reused. When I was taking my General Motors classes, we had to destroy cars when we were done with them, due to some legal issues with how GM donated the cars. One of them was a nice C4 Corvette with about 20 miles on it. I personally ripped up each piece of the interior & smashed the gauges & ETC with a hammer. So wasteful!!

a1veedubber
08-03-2009, 02:45 AM
I haven't heard of an 8 passenger crossover that gets 20 mpg city, 28 hwy with a V6. Have any of you?

I have.....its a Celebrity wagon with a 4X4 sticker on it & a chrome pushbar!! :rofl:

Tonglebeak
08-03-2009, 02:53 AM
From what I have read of the bill, NOTHING can be reused. When I was taking my General Motors classes, we had to destroy cars when we were done with them, due to some legal issues with how GM donated the cars. One of them was a nice C4 Corvette with about 20 miles on it. I personally ripped up each piece of the interior & smashed the gauges & ETC with a hammer. So wasteful!!

I haven't read the bill itself, but every article I've read regarding this (newspapers, etc) says that the engine cannot be reused, but other parts (interior body parts, etc) can still be reused; it's up to the scrap yard, but of course the motors can't be reused. Which is stupid but still.

SilentWing
08-03-2009, 03:46 AM
According to my brother they just send them to a JY to be completely crushed....

BTW Daniel.... NOT THOMAS THE TANK ENGINE.... my brother's childhood friend just got demonized :O

turbokinetic
08-03-2009, 04:08 AM
Here, I'll let this speak for me.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e302/leftventricle/Rage_train.jpg

I LOVE that picture. Sums up exactly how I feel about this wanton destruction of cars; as well as the upcoming healthcare disaster. Two train wrecks in a row.

Geoaidan
08-03-2009, 05:30 AM
My biggest concern with the Clunkers program is it'll drive up the price of used cars as well as used car parts, since they are being taken off the road.

At the same time, it'll increase the value of certain used cars. If you've got several used cars as a collection, this is a boon if they decide to sell them at full increased price.. But a big hurt in the pockets of people that really need them. It's going to further widen the class gap.

white89euro
08-03-2009, 05:40 AM
Ok, first off, the good news is NO A-BODY CARS are being crushed. Not a single one qualifies under the program.

As for crushing automobiles that are in fine condition but get "only" 18 mpg. That is crazy! I remember when 18mpg was considered great gas mileage! I agree with David and others on this thread - waste not want not. There's something strangely Brave-New-World about the government stimulating the economy by destroying personal property with this program.

I'm not entirely against the Cash for Clunkers program, but in my opinion the criteria should have been based on the CONDITION of the car, not the MPG. It would make a lot of sense to get DANGEROUS old cars off the road, as in need of major rust-repair, or damaged to such an extent that they could present a road hazzard even though driveable. The other criterion should have been polution potential - getting rid of an oil-burner or so-called "dirty" diesel car would make more sense than crushing a low mpg car or truck that is operating safely and efficiently.

Here's a major point: Not a single man or woman on the government committee for the Cash for Clunkers program had/has ANY

white89euro
08-03-2009, 05:49 AM
oops... continued here: experience at all in the automotive industry or related repair industries. What the heck?!

Lastly, the program seems to reward those who drove the lowest MPG cars and at the same time abused those cars, while those of us who drove economical cars, such as our A-body cars, and also invested the time, money, and effort to take good care of those cars get NOTHING! How about a program that stimulates the after-market car supply and repair industries? How about Cash-for-people-who-actually-maintain-their-cars as a new government program? It seems only the gas-hogs and the irresponsible types are getting in on the $3500 to $4500 rebates.

As for me, all I had that qualified was a 1995 Windstar minivan that I restored in 2005 when it had just 14,000 miles on a brand new engine that the original owner had just spent around $3000 for. After going through the entire car including all-new paint, the car had about $7000 invested in it (including the $2850 purchase price). I've taken good care of it, and my wife has now increased the odometer to 161,000 miles from 103,000 in 2005. It is still virtually rust free and running great. So we should trade it in to get $3500 on a newer minivan costing $23,000 or more? Nope! We decided adding 20,000 dollars to our debt-load was not wise, and that crushing this beautiful minivan I restored just 4 years ago would be ridiculous.

George

Geoaidan
08-03-2009, 12:29 PM
George,

in my opinion the criteria should have been based on the CONDITION of the car, not the MPG.

I agree with that for the most part. I would say condition + MPG. If it's a car that's 18mpg or worse in fair to poor condition, crush it. That way, the only bad MPG cars on the road would be good condition ones. That way, we won't be wasting anything, and at the same time, achieving the removal of poor MPG cars.

If it's a vintage car, say pre-1970, only poor condition cars can be crushed regardless of the MPG. Update that every 10 years. In 10 years, make it 1980 cars be the minimum for that guideline. Then in 20 years, make it 1990 cars, and so forth. That way, we can preserve vintage cars and keep them around a little longer.

In most likelihood, bad condition cars are not running optimal anyway, and is most likely to be getting worse MPG than when it first came off the dealership lot. THOSE are the ones we should be concerned about. (My father once had a 1986 Dodge RAM that had something like 5mpg even though it should have been around 12-13, for example.)

LordDurock
08-03-2009, 04:43 PM
crush the pre 70's car idea sucks as they are a parts source for many collectors and enthusiasts. take the fact that a rust bucket of a 40's pickup is wroth like 5000. because anything else cant be found for a resto/ repair job on ones car.

Pontiac6ksteawd
08-03-2009, 08:00 PM
Althou I am completely against this program, I am considering using it. And yes, a A-body does qualify, althou only 1, the 6000 AWD's do qualify.

Althou I now have to wait for the re-infusion of money into the program, my 6000 AWD is probly on the chopping block. It is still 98% rust free, but it needs alot of work. The engine is making some kind of bearing noise, the paint is completely wasted, the interior needs to be completely redone, needs a dashboard, struts all the way around, and so on.

I am looking at a Jeep or Ford, as I will most likely NEVER buy another GM...

dcjredline
08-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Althou I am completely against this program, I am considering using it. And yes, a A-body does qualify, althou only 1, the 6000 AWD's do qualify.

Althou I now have to wait for the re-infusion of money into the program, my 6000 AWD is probly on the chopping block. It is still 98% rust free, but it needs alot of work. The engine is making some kind of bearing noise, the paint is completely wasted, the interior needs to be completely redone, needs a dashboard, struts all the way around, and so on.

I am looking at a Jeep or Ford, as I will most likely NEVER buy another GM...

I was going to inject that. I looked up my car and it DOES qualify for the $3500-4500 depending on the vehicle that I want to replace it with. I dont think even for $4500 TOWARDS a new car and new car PAYMENT I would do it.

Pontiac6ksteawd
08-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Every car I own qualifies for it... LOL.. Except my classic cars...

white89euro
08-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Sorry about my mistake. I didn't know the AWD Pontiac 6000 qualified. If you're going to use it for the Cash for Clunkers program you may need to act quickly. They ran through the first billion dollars in less than a week - the dealers are hoping for more cash from congress last I heard.

Geoaidan I agree with you on crushing the low MPG, poor condition cars. Sadly, many of thbe cars being crushed look fine - of course they may be oil burners, have bad transmissions, or perhaps have had a few cups of coffee spilled in them. It just seems that people are treating this like a rebate program and having perfectly fine cars crushed.

George

Pontiac6ksteawd
08-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Well, Dodge is/was offering to meet whatever the CFC was. So 4500 from CFC, 4500 from dodge, 9000 off... Makes getting a newer, and nicer car, much cheaper..

white89euro
08-03-2009, 10:31 PM
This is funny. See if you can use the calculator and find any car at all that eBay says you should trade in for the Cash for Clunkers program:

http://cashforclunkers.ebay.com/cashforclunkers

George

white89euro
08-03-2009, 10:36 PM
Well, Dodge is/was offering to meet whatever the CFC was. So 4500 from CFC, 4500 from dodge, 9000 off... Makes getting a newer, and nicer car, much cheaper..

I looking at many dealerships it seems they want full suggested retail. In other words, last month let's say you could buy a new Chevy Cobalt XFE for $12,999 - per eBay and Auto-Trader ads.

Now that Cash for Clunkers started it looks like the price has inflated to $17,999 for the same car. I think the dealers, including Dodge dealers, are inflating the prices of new cars by about $4500 while the Clunkers program is in place. No way is Dodge really going to slash $4500 off the price of their cars, plus let you have $4500 for your clunker.

The way to deal on this one is to see what the bottom line price is for a new 2009 Dodge or other make - check closed deals on brand new cars on eBay in the past two weeks to verify. Then try to get that price and $9000 off from a Dodge dealer. It aint gonna happen. Just my 2 cents worth. I could be wrong.

SilentWing
08-04-2009, 12:39 AM
Well if Dodge is hurting to begin with they might not be increasing the price a full 4500, although they probably are increasing it to an extent.... I'd have to ask my brother if toyota is doing that cause that's an interesting question... but then again they're not matching the CFC.

Also, that eBay thing is funny, because unless they plan on doing it again this time next year it wouldn't help anyways... the car has to be registered and insured to your name for a full year to qualify for the program

a1veedubber
08-04-2009, 05:09 AM

Except that you have to buy a Dodge. No offense, but save the Caravan, their lineup SUCKS. There is a reason why the list of the 10 worst selling cars in the US is mostly populated with ChryCo products. And that was before the BKY! Actually, whats happened to Chrysler in the last 10 years is a friggin shame....the Daimler merger was the worst thing ever to happen to that company.

I looking at many dealerships it seems they want full suggested retail. In other words, last month let's say you could buy a new Chevy Cobalt XFE for $12,999 - per eBay and Auto-Trader ads.

Now that Cash for Clunkers started it looks like the price has inflated to $17,999 for the same car. I think the dealers, including Dodge dealers, are inflating the prices of new cars by about $4500 while the Clunkers program is in place. No way is Dodge really going to slash $4500 off the price of their cars, plus let you have $4500 for your clunker.

Now somebody who has actually figured out what is REALLY going on! Obaminions are on their way to your house right now to silence you! Run! I jest, but what you describe is exactly what is going on here in IA...it pisses me off royally that my tax $$ is paying for it. I had little interest in buying a new car again & now I have NONE! Cash for Clunkers be Damned....I love "clunkers"!!

Geoaidan
08-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Now somebody who has actually figured out what is REALLY going on! Obaminions are on their way to your house right now to silence you! Run! I jest, but what you describe is exactly what is going on here in IA...it pisses me off royally that my tax $$ is paying for it. I had little interest in buying a new car again & now I have NONE! Cash for Clunkers be Damned....I love "clunkers"!!

LOL, I say DAMN THE DEALERS! It's them that's screwing the customers. This program would be worth something if the dealerships left their prices alone. I put the blame where it is owed... It's those dirty car dealers.

I wouldn't buy a new car, the only way I would buy a new car is if there was a clunkers program that will pay for 95% for the new car. I think new cars are overpriced, anyway. Nobody should have to pay the amount of a house down payment for a car. I personally think that there should be a $10,000 dollar cap on the cost of ANY car, including Corvettes, Ferrari's, and etc.

It's my belief "if you cannot pay it off right now, it costs too much".

a1veedubber
08-05-2009, 04:44 PM
It looks as if the parts can be sold.....

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-junkyards5-2009aug05,0,2194907.story

SilentWing
08-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Looks like there's a supposive battle between the recyclers who want to melt down the metal and the junkyards that want to sell the parts... looks like I'll be making a JY trip soon.