PDA

View Full Version : Little Help Here?

Cadaver88
06-23-2009, 06:19 PM
I used to post on here every now and then, the name was just "cadaver". But I forgot my password and email address so i just made another one.

Anywho, my grandmother's van decided to be weird today. It had almost always started right up every time for the past 8 years that she's owned it. But in the past couple weeks sometimes when you'd turn the key, there would be nothing. Not a noise or anything. But after the second or third time trying, it would crank and start. Well this morning when she got in it to leave, and nothing. Even after numerous tries. She called AAA and they sent someone out with jumper cables, and it started right up. I had let it run for 20-25 mins to let it charge a bit. When I turned it off, of course, it did the same. I took the battery out and it checked out to be fine. What else could the problem be?

Oh and this might be a little important...The van is a 1990 Pontiac Trans Sport, 3.1 lollll

RIPBARNBURNER
06-23-2009, 06:36 PM
starter, starter switch, ignition cylinder? could be a few things. sounds like something isnt catching somewhere. AAA starting it with the cables coulda been just a fluke. dont sound like battery or alternator to me.

Cadaver88
06-23-2009, 08:03 PM
Turns out it was the battery, apparently wal mart doesnt know how to check them. We put a new one in and it started right up.

RIPBARNBURNER
06-23-2009, 08:19 PM
hmm... still doesnt make sense to me. why it wouldnt crank once time, then start right up the next.

T5258
06-24-2009, 12:02 AM
I'd check terminals & cables...they can have corrosion not visible w/out peeling back the insulation (cables) and the terminals can get crudded up where they contact the battery...are they side, or top post??

Cadaver88
06-24-2009, 07:13 PM
they were side post, and had no visible corrosion.

white89euro
06-24-2009, 11:51 PM
Could be the starter or starter solenoid.

As for the battery, if you have an ADVANCE AUTO store nearby they will fully charge and test the battery for you for free - drop it off because it takes several hours. Also I've had good luck lately getting used (with 6 month warranty) batteries from salvage yards - just in case you need to save money - just $20 at the yard I visit.

George