PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Flywheel/Clutch Bolts

Century7667
07-05-2009, 03:00 AM
I seem to recall a thread here, or maybe over at 60degreeV6 where there was a discussion about replacing *head bolts*. The notion was, you can only tighten them once, else you get problems when you reuse them. Improper torque reading, I think.

Well, I'm in the process of getting the ol' 2001 S-10 on the road again, and lo and behold, with the purchase of my new flywheel the instructions say to purchase new pressure plate cover and flywheel bolts. The word new is bolded. I've never had to do this before, but I must admit the pressure plate bolts looked odd, they had slits in the heads. The flywheel bolts look like...normal flywheel bolts to me.

Anyone ever heard of this? :dunno:

Thanks
Ken T.

Pontiac6ksteawd
07-05-2009, 05:05 AM
The type of bolt you are referring to is Torque to Yield. If your flywheel does indeed have those bolts, you should replace them. I never have, then again, I have never seen a TTY bolt on a flywheel.

Duke George V
07-05-2009, 06:00 AM
Definitely get new fasteners. The reason is because the threads get worn out and will back out if used more than once. Last thing you want to have is a loose flywheel.

86euro
07-05-2009, 01:43 PM
I think it states that in the instructions just to cover their a$$. If they have already been reused a couple of times, it certainly would be a good idea to replace the pressure plate bolts. I don't believe the flywheel bolts are TTY, so they will be fine.

Century7667
07-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the toughts everyone. The flywheel bonts don't worry me much, but he pressure plate bolts look "funny." Maybe they are TTY. I'm inclinded to replace those. I'll dig up the factory shop manual, and see if there's anything in there as well...

Thanks!
Ken T.

LordDurock
07-05-2009, 06:33 PM
call the dealer and ask if they are. i never changed a set of p plate bolts or flywheel bolts in my life.......always reused them........havent had problems yet.....even made a few of my own ;)

im with 86euro on the cover there A$$ part

Century7667
07-06-2009, 01:11 AM
call the dealer and ask if they are. i never changed a set of p plate bolts or flywheel bolts in my life.......always reused them........havent had problems yet.....even made a few of my own ;)

im with 86euro on the cover there A$$ part

Same here, I always recycled those bolts. But that was a different era. I was working with old Chevy inline sixes and Buick 231 V6es. I never heard of changing head bolts until I starting reading about 60 degree V6es.

So, I found the official GM shop manuals...they cleared up and clouded things. :confused:

On the flywheel bolts they said to simply clean the threads with a nylon brush (toothbrush should do it) and torque to spec with a certain flavor of Lock-Tite. No problem there.

Pressure plate was another deal altogether. "replace the bolts and washers" Washers?!?!?! :ugh2::wtf: There are no washers holding the pressure plate on. There were on my old heavy Chevies, but not on this 2.2. ...and the bolt doesn't look like a typical grade 8 bolt either. Looks like someone carved a hexagon out of the top of the bolt head with radial lines going out to the points of the bolt head. Strange too. This carving on the top of the bolt head is about 1/16 deep. These bug me, and I'm wondering if the shop manual didn't update for the newer S-10s. Then there's the new AC/Delco flywheel instructions "It is recommended that NEW flywheel-to-crankshaft and cover assybl-to-flywheel mounting bolts be used." Bold text was theirs.

If I can track down my camera, I'll snap this weird bolt.

Ken T.

LordDurock
07-06-2009, 01:45 AM
call a dealer they usly will know

86euro
07-06-2009, 03:02 AM
Do the threads look OK on the PP bolts? Do they appear to be stretched just below the head of the bolt?

86euro
07-06-2009, 03:08 AM
Also, just out of curiosity, how many miles did you get out of the clutch in your S-10? The originals that GM used seem to last a good long while in most cases. I'm at 195K on mine and it's still holding up (it would have had even more life left in it if my brother-in-law hadn't put 500 miles on it:rant:).

Century7667
07-07-2009, 02:46 AM
Also, just out of curiosity, how many miles did you get out of the clutch in your S-10? The originals that GM used seem to last a good long while in most cases. I'm at 195K on mine and it's still holding up (it would have had even more life left in it if my brother-in-law hadn't put 500 miles on it:rant:).

Interesting you should mention that. I should have never touched it. The truck as 125,000 miles on it, and it barely had any wear at all. I bet it could have made 200,000 easily....and with an under powered 2.2 to boot. If I hadn't have ordered the parts from Summit already, I'd left it alone.

The concentric slave cylinder on the other hand.......:rant::barf: Really sucked, you have to pull the tranny to service it, and it just didn't last. I figured it was a good time to replace the clutch..but no, it was fine.

Ken T.

86euro
07-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Ah yes, I'm lucky enough to still have the external slave. Mine is one of the final years, I think. Although, I've never needed to service it so it doesn't really matter that it's easy to get to, lol.

Century7667
07-07-2009, 05:04 PM
Ah yes, I'm lucky enough to still have the external slave. Mine is one of the final years, I think. Although, I've never needed to service it so it doesn't really matter that it's easy to get to, lol.

Yep, they went "cocentric" in 1996. The early 2nd gen S10s still had the T-5 tranny. Over all I've been really happy with it...just not fond at all about having to pull the tranny. I'll bet the tranny the A-body is easier....

Ken T.

86euro
07-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Yep, they went "cocentric" in 1996. The early 2nd gen S10s still had the T-5 tranny. Over all I've been really happy with it...just not fond at all about having to pull the tranny. I'll bet the tranny the A-body is easier....

Ken T.

I never knew that the T5 made it into the 2nd gens. Mine is the 4.3, so it got the NV3500 with the built-in bell housing. What tranny is in yours?

LordDurock
07-07-2009, 11:37 PM

Ken T.

most of the time it take a motor pull..........

Century7667
07-08-2009, 05:49 PM
I never knew that the T5 made it into the 2nd gens. Mine is the 4.3, so it got the NV3500 with the built-in bell housing. What tranny is in yours?

It did, but only for two years, and only on the 2.2 4 cyl. models ('94 and '95), then they switched to the NV1500, which is what I have. The 4.3 had the heavier NV3500 from the get go.

I've read that the reason they went with the NV1500 was better gear ratios for the undersized 2.2, but I suspect it was more about the money. I can't really say; I've never driven a 2nd Gen with the 2.2 and the T-5 for comparison. :dunno:

Have you ever had to pull that NV3500?

Ken T.

Century7667
07-08-2009, 05:51 PM
most of the time it take a motor pull..........

True, but I bet you don't have to chase a slave cylinder. I'll bet you don't even have a hydraulic setup! Right?

Ken T.

86euro
07-09-2009, 12:18 AM
Have you ever had to pull that NV3500?

Ken T.

Nope, but I likely will need to within the next 10K. The truck has needed very few repairs in it's life. Just sway bar links, water pump, starter, a tune up, and the EGR valve was sticking (just bypassed it). Oh, and a thermostat. Clutch, ball joints, tie rods, belt, hoses, shocks, radiator, etc are all the originals from '91:eek3: