PDA

View Full Version : ding dong the w's dead

cutlassburnin
07-13-2009, 02:22 AM
Yea as the title says the grand prix is toast, tranny started slipping then blew up 15 minutes later. I was on the highway and tried to get to a safe spot but didnt know a coolent line went too and she overheated and siezed yet my guage read that it was ok, lost all power and almost frriggin died with the whole no power brake thing...hadda force the pedal in and throw it into park to stop.

So needless to say im done with w's and looking for another ceira or a century and this time im doing it right. i still have all the parts off my last one so the next ones basically going to be a clone of my ciera, then from there im doing all the crap I planned on in the first place with the last one come tax time.

Im humbly returning to the word of a-bodies :)...hopefully

CamoDeafie
07-13-2009, 02:46 AM
is it possible for you to book a train to Oregon!? I can point you to several good cheap A-bodies in my area :D lol (the 2 door Celeb is sTILL around!)

Duke George V
07-13-2009, 03:05 AM
I thought this was going to be another GM deathwatch post saying the W platform was being axed. It's nearly as old as the J platform was when it was discontinued, though it has considerably better build quality.

How did the transmission die? Did a cooler line come loose and dump the oil? Keep in mind that, depending on the year, that GP will probably have the same transmission as a same-year A-body.

cutlassburnin
07-13-2009, 03:49 AM
i had a leak that i fixed, the level was good when i left that day. It had a 4t60, i want to get another a with the 3.3l/3t40 combo i loved so much.

CamoDeafie
07-13-2009, 03:57 AM
3t40? the 3 speed? i thought you had a 4 speed in your 93 cutlass?

cutlassburnin
07-13-2009, 04:06 AM
nope, but that tranny never skipperd a beat ever, never so much as a hard shift. After seeing some succesfully turbocharged 3.3l's I know I definitely want to go back to that platform, I also miss the reliability and comfort.

CamoDeafie
07-13-2009, 04:08 AM
interesting..maybe it was just the 92 GP, but i got a best of 22mpg with the 3.1 and 3 speed........and it was a 4 door GP.....

cutlassburnin
07-13-2009, 04:14 AM
I definately wasnt getting as good mileage with the gp as I did the ciera. i blame part of it on the extra weight and lower power the gp had. In the straight line the gp was a huge downgrade from my ciera, only thing i really liked about the gp was the handling, thats prety much all it had on my ciera.

Im thinking of hacking the dual exhaust out of the gp and fitting it to my next a-body if itll work.

SilentWing
07-13-2009, 01:55 PM
Tough luck, sorry to hear about the GP but glad you're getting into another a. Too bad you couldn't have kept your ciera around though... oh well time to start fresh. Are you planning to look in NY or are you willing to travel? If you're willing to travel I'm sure we could all keep a look out for you, but either way keep us posted.

BTW you should go with a STB and rear sway bar for better handling, might not get you as good as a GP but would definately be a mod worth doing.

cutlassburnin
07-14-2009, 12:36 AM
weird how things work out, i might be getting a free grand marquis, its a 99 with 40k on it..has some water damage in the interior other than that this things supposed to be perfect. So Ill prob grab this for now but ill need something with good mpg also so perhaps itll be an a-body for a driver and a marquis for my strait-liner? Idk yet, still hunting.

Geoaidan
07-14-2009, 01:56 AM
grand marquis, its a 99 with 40k

Senior owned? That's very low mileage for a 99.

You could probably fix it up and sell it off and be able to buy a near mint condition A-body with some money left over. :D

cutlassburnin
07-14-2009, 02:25 AM
oh yea its senior owned, ill prob restore it, drive it for a year and then sell it. :)

Geoaidan
07-14-2009, 02:27 AM
Very nice! Gotta love these senior owned cars. Almost always, they're best taken care of. Mine was an one-owner senior owned car before it came into my possession. :D

George

cutlassburnin
07-14-2009, 04:30 AM
yup, main issue so far is all the rubber needs to be replaced since it sat out in cali for awhile, then sat a year here so it had some leaks, im hoping the floor pans are still good to go. As long as thats under control and the underside is clean should be a go. I may just have it sent to a pro detailer/ cleaning service first to see what im working with first before I replace anything.

cutlassburnin
07-19-2009, 05:34 AM
quick update: The woman said the cars mine, and it wound up being a crown vic which makes me a lil happier. :) The bodys totally clean, engines like new just needs a head liner, some brakes and a good cleaning. Now were just messing with the title since the owner died before signing it.

Ill admit, Im getting a little giddy. Seeing guys pulling 13 seconds runs with these boats without crazy mods is nuts and pretty common so shes not staying stock. Only issue with that is this was my step fathers dads car before he died so any modding I do will have to be pretty stealthy so he doesnt get upset. :) I do feel for em though....

SilentWing
07-19-2009, 03:52 PM
What year vic? Is it really the 99? My mom's got an old(ish? 97) P71.... watch out for the cats... they tend to go out and there's 2 on each side on these beasts. With that being said I'm guessing it has the 4.6 which actually moves the car pretty darn well, hers will lay a good patch of rubber without missing a beat.

cutlassburnin
07-20-2009, 03:40 PM
yea its a 99..not a p71 though. I aint THAT lucky. lol

SilentWing
07-20-2009, 07:05 PM
With it being a 99 and most likely 4.6 it'll still get the tires going pretty good if you let it. Just make sure you add a good amount of weight to the back in winter.

cutlassburnin
07-21-2009, 05:14 AM
oh yea, its the 4.6l 2v, kinda like the ones in the mustang gt's ( though i dont know the differences yet). :)