PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pumps

Electra_T_Type
12-02-2007, 08:34 AM
Can you test these out of the car? I was thinking about getting one from the junkyard but don't feel like dropping the tank only to not have it work.

Pontiac6ksteawd
12-02-2007, 12:46 PM
Well assuming they didnt drain the fuel lines, and that you have a 12 volt power supply, jump the terminals at the relay with a wire from your power supply, and a ground to the body, and a pressure guage at the fuel rail schrader valve, and see what happens. assuming the motor and tank are still in one peice anyways..

I have done this befor with a 14.4 volt battery from a cordless drill with much success.

notsoslimshady76
12-02-2007, 02:55 PM
I have done this befor with a 14.4 volt battery from a cordless drill with much success.

good idea!

dcjredline
12-03-2007, 02:32 AM
Well assuming they didnt drain the fuel lines, and that you have a 12 volt power supply, jump the terminals at the relay with a wire from your power supply, and a ground to the body, and a pressure guage at the fuel rail schrader valve, and see what happens. assuming the motor and tank are still in one peice anyways..

LOL! This is how I test MOST things too at the JY and even at home!!

Electra_T_Type
12-03-2007, 03:54 AM
California man, tanks ripped out of the cars and not allowed to bring batterys in. Anyways I got one (;)) that looks brand new, its like shiny chrome, can I test it out of the car? When I shake it though it makes a rattling noise.

LordDurock
12-03-2007, 04:03 AM
LOL! This is how I test MOST things too at the JY and even at home!!

lol 14.4 getting on the high side of tolabrable for a 12 volts system but if it works that what counts

The Dark Side of Will
12-03-2007, 06:46 PM
Just don't make sparks if you're playing with fuel.

CieraSL92
12-03-2007, 10:33 PM
Meh, 14.4 is okay. The battery with engine on reads 14.0 with no load.

The battery thing in junkyards. I know what your talking about. Its ridic. I dunno why they dont let you bring batts in. Even the local brandy brows. All the cars are up on palletes. Not like your goin anywhere.

Tuddi
12-04-2007, 12:58 AM
Maybe they are afraid of someone using a battery that causes a spark which again causes a fire... but then they'd also have to forbid people to smoke in the yards... maybe that's forbidden too already?

dcjredline
12-04-2007, 02:27 AM
I brought my 14.4 Dewalt into the U-pull-it and they didnt seem to care. Well I guess everyplace is different.

LordDurock
12-04-2007, 04:48 AM
I brought my 14.4 Dewalt into the U-pull-it and they didnt seem to care. Well I guess everyplace is different.

just depend on the yard. one yard let me use my dads backpack cutting troch. (one off a navy ship for cutting people out)

CieraSL92
12-04-2007, 06:15 AM
I smoke in every yard I go to. Not to keep the stereotype, but most people at junkyards seem to smoke..

LordDurock
12-04-2007, 03:05 PM
yea it true. but then again most people in rather low paying jobs seem to smoke.

85_Ciera_Rebuild
12-04-2007, 11:39 PM
I was thinking about getting one from the junkyard...

Imagine searching through more than 650,000 parts around the United States! (http://www.advanceautoparts.com/english/services/salvage_parts.asp)

All you have to do is stop by Advance Auto Parts and we'll source, inspect and deliver the highest quality salvage parts right to your home or our store.

PS: Here's some Yo-Yo tricks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9MUw4xhuL0)

Electra_T_Type
12-06-2007, 01:46 AM
Imagine searching through more than 650,000 parts around the United States! (http://www.advanceautoparts.com/english/services/salvage_parts.asp)

All you have to do is stop by Advance Auto Parts and we'll source, inspect and deliver the highest quality salvage parts right to your home or our store.

PS: Here's some Yo-Yo tricks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9MUw4xhuL0)

Hmm?? We don't have Advance Auto Parts in California. I got the fuel pump anyways Just need to know if I can test it out of tank.

LordDurock
12-06-2007, 02:29 AM
Hmm?? We don't have Advance Auto Parts in California. I got the fuel pump anyways Just need to know if I can test it out of tank.

advanced should be knon as karagen or parts amarica..........but becuase i dont like advanced or AZ i always end up with crap parts and i know people that work there who say dont buy crap from us becuase they see the faulty return rate. so it great there getting from junk yard now.............:)

dcjredline
12-06-2007, 03:55 AM
Funny I work at the local AZ and I dont know 1 employee that wont buy our parts! I also know that Advance carries alot of DELCO stuff so why wouldn't someone buy those?

Electra_T_Type
12-06-2007, 04:14 AM
Funny I work at the local AZ and I dont know 1 employee that wont buy our parts! I also know that Advance carries alot of DELCO stuff so why wouldn't someone buy those?

Ha I worked at AutoZone for like 8 months. Bad job but most of the Duralast parts are pretty decent. Valucraft (Valucrap) was just lol...

LordDurock
12-06-2007, 03:46 PM
idk stuff like gaskets i buy there there cheaper and the samething. but i know the water pumps are crap had a lot of bad luck with altorators and starters. idk. i but i think like this. if the place i buy is good enough for profesnal auto shop to trust when they buy it then thats the place for me. because that says that that place is constentaly putting out good stuff. i use ams, and napa. and felpo stuff from autozone because i can get it cheaper.

85_Ciera_Rebuild
12-06-2007, 05:47 PM
...napa...

Unless you are getting a discount, their overall pricing, in my area, is way too high. Advance, like others, sell major-brand name parts....but, you need to ask clerk if there is more choices.

I got an Electric Choke yesterday, from Advance's mail order...it is a Borg-Warner made part.

LordDurock
12-06-2007, 06:20 PM
Unless you are getting a discount, their overall pricing, in my area, is way too high. Advance, like others, sell major-brand name parts....but, you need to ask clerk if there is more choices.

I got an Electric Choke yesterday, from Advance's mail order...it is a Borg-Warner made part.

AAA man. but over all i think the price incress it worth not having to risk changing something when i should have failed yet. like my water pump............danm thats a ^%%^*. or haveing a stater fail when your out of state yuck.

85_Ciera_Rebuild
12-07-2007, 12:45 AM
....like my water pump....

When I removed the timing cover from the 2.8 motor, you have a choice,

To replace, or not to replace the water pump, ...that is the question.

I noticed someone had replaced it with OEM Water Pump...built like a brink shoot-house...and its bearing was still intack...but I figured it had been there for some 40,000+ miles, and some five years.

The replacement I bought has a lifetime warranty, (new water pump), but does not have the solid impeller, but a stamped out blade impeller.

I sure like GM's design....but I didn't want to ask, how much....so I installed the $30.00 water pump...but the GM pump may have lasted a few more years...

Can't always get what you want...

85_Ciera_Rebuild
12-07-2007, 12:51 AM
....haveing a stater fail when your out of state yuck.

Get a 88 Beretta...piece of cake to replace....piece of cake...