PDA

View Full Version : rear brake lockup problem

ochy38
12-04-2007, 05:50 PM
so i have been getting this problem on and off.. if the car sits for an extended period of time (a couple days), or if it rains all night and i go to drive it the next day, the rear drums grab like a mofo, they slightly lock up when i hit em, and they hit so hard the rear of the car squats down till i let go. usually after i hit the brakes 2 or 3 times its fine after, but i just remembered to post it on here because it now seems like it happens with either the snowfall or the road water that builds up somewhere. any ideas? just bled the brakes a month or so ago and had no effect on the problem whatsoever(not that i bled the brakes to fix this problem, rather because it hasnt been done since the car was bought 18 years ago). in other news, car hit 100000 on friday!

notsoslimshady76
12-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Idk how to fix that. My ciera does it a bit, and my friend's old Century did that all the time

dcjredline
12-04-2007, 06:42 PM
May need to be loosened SLIGHTLY.

LordDurock
12-04-2007, 07:01 PM
pull the drum of i was having this problem. my rear left was locking up all the time. and this black waxy stuff allways would build up..........still dont know what the wax was but i replaced the wheel cycder and every things works right. again

i hear that whell clynder failer can cause that problem

Pilrulz
12-04-2007, 07:02 PM
What do you mean, "any ideas?" They all do that. It's just the nature of the system.

Pushrod_V6
12-04-2007, 07:21 PM
if the car sits for an extended period of time (a couple days), or if it rains all night and i go to drive it the next day, the rear drums grab like a mofo, they slightly lock up when i hit em, and they hit so hard the rear of the car squats down till i let go.

The only times that I have had this issue is if the shoe lines were contaminated by some type of petroluem based product - brake fluid as someone mentioned before from a leaky wheel cylinder, or grease seeping out of your rear bearing assembly.

Just pull your drum(s) and if you have a glossy buildup on your shoes, check the hub assembly and wheel cylinder for possible leakage.

Slacker
12-04-2007, 07:34 PM
What do you mean, "any ideas?" They all do that. It's just the nature of the system.

:confused: Mine don't. I think he means as if you throw the E-brake while driving type of locking up.

I'd say crack the drum open, you won't be able to tell until you get a look at it. It might be as simple as they're out of adjustment. :)

LordDurock
12-04-2007, 09:52 PM

dont mean ot be rude but no you spend to much time reading. disk breaks would be more likly to lock up totaly. in all honesty drum breaks work relay danm well. hell 18 wheelers use them.

LordDurock
12-04-2007, 09:54 PM
The only times that I have had this issue is if the shoe lines were contaminated by some type of petroluem based product - brake fluid as someone mentioned before from a leaky wheel cylinder, or grease seeping out of your rear bearing assembly.

Just pull your drum(s) and if you have a glossy buildup on your shoes, check the hub assembly and wheel cylinder for possible leakage.

yep

and again to the guy who said it the how they are disk well do the same thing if you get fuild on them

BBrip84Oatsie95
12-04-2007, 10:43 PM
Mine also stick, it's really quite annoying. They do it a lot lately...

86euro
12-04-2007, 10:43 PM
dont mean ot be rude but no you spend to much time reading. disk breaks would be more likly to lock up totaly. in all honesty drum breaks work relay danm well. hell 18 wheelers use them.

I think you misunderstood. The person meant that most of these cars have a problem of the rear brakes EASILY locking up at low speeds under light breaking, which is true. It can be caused by leaky wheel cylinders, over-adjusted shoes, low-quality shoes or severely rusted drums. And as for disc brakes locking up easier than drum brakes, that is untrue. If you ever drove a car with four wheel drum brakes, you would understand what I mean. A lot of people confuse brakes that lock up with brakes that actually have stopping power.

mickstan_VR
12-04-2007, 10:52 PM
Durock, I have a REALLY REALLY REALLY hard time not only reading your posts, but also making any sense whatsoever out of what you are trying to say. PLEASE do us all a favor and spell check your posts!!!!

It IS the nature of the beast. These cars have crappy rear drum brakes. I put new drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, hardware kits, and hubs on them before. They will do it again eventually. All I could figure is that dust builds up inside of them and holds moisture. It would only do it on moist mornings or after a rain. 2 different Celebrities. The shoes seemed to hanging up on something.
When I was tthe service manager at the local used car lot years ago, we consistantly had this same problem.
Putting disc brakes on the rear fixed the issue once and for all.

mickstan_VR
12-05-2007, 12:56 AM
woops! Let me clarify here! When I was at the car lot, we replaced the rear brakes with new parts(from the 'zone!), and they worked fine for a while, then it wasn't our problem any more when the car sold! Not good business, but I didn't run the show.
And putting the the discs on MY car solved it for me.
I never did find a permanent fix for it with drums.

86euro
12-05-2007, 01:07 AM
I never did find a permanent fix for it with drums.

I've only had two so far that did not have an issue with the rear brakes grabbing. My best guess it that they do not actually operate, lol. So if you disable the rear brakes, that is a permanent fix.:D

CieraSL92
12-05-2007, 06:26 AM
Oh. Sweet, so I'm not the only one with this problem?

I usually stomp the pedal a couple times with the car stopped and it doesn't do it anymore. Irritating as shit when it does it though.

Pontiac6ksteawd
12-05-2007, 06:59 AM
True that, disc brakes will permanetly solve the problem, but in the meantime..

I suggest taking a close look at your rear brakes. I would bet money you have some sort of contamination going on, or your brakes just need a good overhaul.

LordDurock
12-05-2007, 03:25 PM
I've only had two so far that did not have an issue with the rear brakes grabbing. My best guess it that they do not actually operate, lol. So if you disable the rear brakes, that is a permanent fix.:D

tell it rains or something and the rear end comes a round.

Tuddi
12-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Typically a faulty brake cylinder causes a lockup.

Mine does this trick from time to time as well... maybe once every 1000 brakeups or so, and I know the cylinders are in dire need of seeing replacements sooner rather than later.... still hoping for a 4 disc solution though... but the chances of that are not all that good down here... unless I have something mixed together from another brand of car......

Jr's3800
12-06-2007, 03:42 AM
I have seen this happen a few different ways..

1) Leaking wheel cylinder contaminating the Shoe surface... If the leak is not bad you can get an incredible shudder while braking.. also you can lock up the side with the leaky wheel cylinder under normal braking as the shoes will grab..

2) i have seen the return spring/s fail leaving the shoe laying on the inside of the drum... Resulted in a totally locked wheel...

3) I have seen the backing come off the shoe and create issues..

The most common for the problem described is a Leaky wheel Cylinder..

Pull both drums and check the wheel cylinders... Wheel cylinders are cheap enough, as are new shoes..:)

ochy38
12-06-2007, 04:15 AM
Putting disc brakes on the rear fixed the issue once and for all.

just more reason for me to eventually do a rear disc conversion.. what a shame lol. hey thanks for all the respose guys its nice to know im not alone with this thing

Tuddi
12-06-2007, 04:21 AM
its nice to know im not alone with this thing

Nice to know? Actually scary to think of how many cars there may be out there with faulty brakes. It's the one thing that should be faultfree.

LordDurock
12-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Nice to know? Actually scary to think of how many cars there may be out there with faulty brakes. It's the one thing that should be faultfree.

yea but been with a lot of people with drum breaks andthe only time they or i have have had trouble is with stored break systems. with fuild chages you break system should so a long time. so it isnt that scary

Jr's3800
12-06-2007, 07:44 PM
I agree... And as our cars age things will wear out... Can't be helped... Some of these cars are near or over 20 years old.. So they sure do hold up for a long time.. These things just happen sometimes...

A buddy with a 99 Malibu had the Brake system on the rear go to crap with 40k on the clock... Wheel cylinders, spring kit and shoes had to be replaced..

I will need to do my Wheel cylinders soon, I noticed them seeping a wee little bit when I cleaned, lubed and adjusted...:)

LordDurock
12-06-2007, 09:19 PM
I agree... And as our cars age things will wear out... Can't be helped... Some of these cars are near or over 20 years old.. So they sure do hold up for a long time.. These things just happen sometimes...

A buddy with a 99 Malibu had the Brake system on the rear go to crap with 40k on the clock... Wheel cylinders, spring kit and shoes had to be replaced..

I will need to do my Wheel cylinders soon, I noticed them seeping a wee little bit when I cleaned, lubed and adjusted...:)

yep mine 25 years old sat for 15 i had simi break failer after 100 miles. befor that i had to tear down my master to clean out the crap that was pluging all the holes. but my breaks a fine now new parts (wheel cylinders) new fuild and severything works.

mickstan_VR
12-06-2007, 09:59 PM
I got the my first VR in '94, and it had the same brake issues. Right off the bat at 70,000 miles. The current VR has 32K on the clock, and it did it when it had 27K(2 years ago). My wife and I used to refer to it as "the VR's got the squats again"! Yeah, they all do it at some point along the way. But I never had it happen to any other car with drum brakes. strange...
I think all you can do is to keep your brakes in good working order, have good hardware, new cylinders and such, and take the drums off when you rotate the tires. Look at' em, blow 'em out, clean them with aerosol brake cleaner.
Other than that...disc brakes.

Hey Durock! !!! I only had to re-read your post twice this time! lol :) And semi's may still use drum brakes, but locomotives have discs!

ochy38
12-06-2007, 10:02 PM

i didnt mean nice to know everyone had bad brakes, but rather that my car isnt experiencing some type of unique problem that no one really has an answer too.
in the meantime, these things almost totalled my car today, so thats not good. i was driving on a highway and someone ahead slowed down quick, so i hit the brakes with a little force (but not the force a 16 yr old blonde girl would give when he friend told her she looked fat in that shirt) and lost the rear end a little bit.. def time i took a look i would say

LordDurock
12-06-2007, 10:42 PM
Hey Durock! !!! I only had to re-read your post twice this time! lol :) And semi's may still use drum brakes, but locomotives have discs!

well thats nice. i been working in sentince construstion more the spelling. i've been noticing i been leaving out inportend details..................

CieraSL92
12-07-2007, 02:15 AM
Mickstan, don't be an ass. He's dsylexic.

Tuddi
12-07-2007, 03:44 AM
i didnt mean nice to know everyone had bad brakes....

I know... it could be read both ways, and I chose to "misunderstand" you... just to pull your parking brake... so to speak.

ochy38
12-07-2007, 04:48 AM
lol

mickstan_VR
12-07-2007, 06:36 PM
[QUOTE][Mickstan, don't be an ass. He's dsylexic./QUOTE]

!yrros

LordDurock
12-07-2007, 07:05 PM
...............haha..........i final get it.........

mickstan_VR
12-08-2007, 02:39 AM
lol :)

LordDurock
12-08-2007, 04:12 AM
lol :)

google helped ALOT