PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Question/Advice

TheBrownBandit
12-05-2007, 02:07 AM
Hello everyone out there in a-bodydotnet land! I have question regarding muffler replacement. I need to replace the muffler on my Celebrity due to a hole. I was just curious if any of you can recommend a decent performance muffler that you've been happy with. In the past, I've used Flowmaster (in my 1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme) and Magnaflow (in my 2002 Ford Focus ZX3) with the results of not being pleased with the Flowmaster. I don't want something too loud or too pricey. Nor I want something too muscle carish or import tunerish. Just want a nice, low priced muffler that offers a pleasant growl. I know that having the 2.5L engine that not much growl should be expected, yet amazingly my Focus with it's 2.0L engine had more of a growl that my Cutlass with it's 4.3L engine! Even before increasing the size from stock to 2 1/4" it sounded louder. Just the type of muffler perhaps? Back to my question... If any of you can share experiences and/or suggestions that I could take into consideration for my Celebrity, I would appreciate it! Thanks!

Duke George V
12-05-2007, 02:10 AM
I've got a V6 Camaro catback with dual tips on my Celebrity, which was installed by the previous owner. It's got a nice subtle sound to it, but then, I've got a V6 in front of it. I don't know how it would sound behind a Duke. For a Duke, I'd recommend getting whatever is on special at Midas or other local exhaust shop.

Pontiac6ksteawd
12-05-2007, 07:14 AM
With you haveing the 2.5, I am not sure you are going to get any time of growl. They arent really designed on the internal harmonics, and timing, to let those type of tones out. At least thats my opinion. I would find a muffler, that has a lifetime warenty, and go with it. You wont really notice a diference on this particular motor.

Zaloryan
12-27-2007, 04:18 AM
Hmm, anyone have an idea for a 3.3L V6? I don't want muscle car growl or import tuner noises coming out. Just a little louder than the OEM Muffler.

88 Coupe
12-29-2007, 07:42 PM
I put a replacement intermediate pipe and muffler on my 2.5L, I think it was by Walker (OE style). Without a cat (I have a replacement downpipe/cat in the basement) it growls quite a bit for a 4 banger.

86euro
12-29-2007, 08:29 PM
Hmm, anyone have an idea for a 3.3L V6? I don't want muscle car growl or import tuner noises coming out. Just a little louder than the OEM Muffler.

Just a basic "turbo" muffler;)

Zaloryan
12-30-2007, 11:46 PM
Just a basic "turbo" muffler;)

What brand? Magnoflow, Dynamax? Anyone in particular?

86euro
12-31-2007, 12:11 AM
Dynomax, Thrush, Cherry Bomb Turbo, etc. They're all about the same.

Zaloryan
12-31-2007, 04:27 AM
You mean Dynomax and Magnaflow are as loud as a Cherrybomb? :eek: My car doesn't have the power to back up all that noise...

ochy38
12-31-2007, 01:35 PM
i have a cherry bomb turbo.. im pretty happy with it but it sounded alot better when it first went on, and its not that loud but has a nice growl; to it.

Zaloryan
12-31-2007, 04:25 PM
Really? Thanks, I'll look into it. :cool:

Zaloryan
12-31-2007, 04:25 PM
Wait, what does everyone think about Borla exhaust?

86euro
12-31-2007, 05:45 PM
You mean Dynomax and Magnaflow are as loud as a Cherrybomb? :eek: My car doesn't have the power to back up all that noise...
No no, not the regular "Cherry Bomb" muffler that's a round tube painted red. Auto Zone and others carry a "turbo muffler" that is the cherry bomb brand. It's a very nice sounding muffler on a V6.

Wait, what does everyone think about Borla exhaust?
Overpriced;)

BignastyGS
12-31-2007, 07:40 PM
No no, not the regular "Cherry Bomb" muffler that's a round tube painted red. Auto Zone and others carry a "turbo muffler" that is the cherry bomb brand. It's a very nice sounding muffler on a V6.

Overpriced;)

lol.... and not that impressive for fitting either. I put a Borla system on a friends car and was really disappointed in the fit and how it installed..

Jr's3800
12-31-2007, 07:52 PM
For the Celebrity I'd say a flowmaster should sound nice..... say 2.25 in and 2.25 out....

For the 3300, possibly a Magnaflow or a Flowmaster..

It depends on what car its on and what the configuration will be.. and in some cases it may be a little too loud for an owners taste and in that case a Resonator would help:)

86euro
12-31-2007, 11:10 PM
For the Celebrity I'd say a flowmaster should sound nice..... say 2.25 in and 2.25 out....

For the 3300, possibly a Magnaflow or a Flowmaster..

It depends on what car its on and what the configuration will be.. and in some cases it may be a little too loud for an owners taste and in that case a Resonator would help:)

I tried a 40 series flowmaster on my '86 2.8 and it sounded like poo-poo. A friend of mine had a 3100 beretta with a flowmaster delta flow (don't know what series) and it sounded pretty good. IMO, an aluminum headed 2.8 with a standard "turbo' style muffler sounds friggen sweet:D. A co-worker had a turbo muffler on his 3300 ciera and it sounded almost as good. They don't last as long as say, a flowmaster, but they do last a bit longer than the intermediate pipe. So when it rusts out, I just replace the muffler too.

Jr's3800
01-01-2008, 05:08 AM
I tried a 40 series flowmaster on my '86 2.8 and it sounded like poo-poo. A friend of mine had a 3100 beretta with a flowmaster delta flow (don't know what series) and it sounded pretty good. IMO, an aluminum headed 2.8 with a standard "turbo' style muffler sounds friggen sweet:D. A co-worker had a turbo muffler on his 3300 ciera and it sounded almost as good. They don't last as long as say, a flowmaster, but they do last a bit longer than the intermediate pipe. So when it rusts out, I just replace the muffler too.

Yeah a Buddy of mine has a Flowmaster 80 series on his 3500 V6.... Sounds pretty good... And has mellowed out with age.... Its got a deep grumble for sure.. A little bit louder than I like, but I sure don't mind driving it..

I would actually like to have my Magnaflow Installed on my 3800.... I have a stock resonator, so I think it would have the right tones...lol

Had a friend/member of another forum that used a certain type of muffler( forget the name ).... It gave his 3800 the most mellow, deep and rumbly notes without droning out the passenger/driver inside the car:D

86euro
01-01-2008, 03:19 PM
80 series, huh? Isn't that only for the f-body crossflow style? Is it on a Malibu or something?

Jr's3800
01-01-2008, 04:21 PM
80 series, huh? Isn't that only for the f-body crossflow style? Is it on a Malibu or something?

I think you can get them in several configurations...

But yes this unit on my Buddies 06 Malibu is a Crossflow.. I'd post a Vid of the sound but the vid doesn't do it justice:)